Gjon Camaj: "How content comes into the rFactor2 system"

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Gjon Camaj himself has revealed some very interesting information today.

attachment.php

This diagrams gives an overview of how content comes into the rFactor2 system for single and multiplayer races.

Components are completed cars, tracks, sounds, UIs, HUDs, Skins or Showrooms. An individual race circuit is an example of a component. Using the All Cars and Track race series in single player mode, you can take any car you have for a drive on this newly downloaded circuit.

Race series (or Mods) are a group of components with at least one car and track. Each has a unique ModID and can be tested online within the mod testing group while in development. Once it is complete, a Submit ID is generated and sent to the matchmaker. This submitted Mod now becomes available to the entire online community and is version controlled to eliminate mismatch problems.

Mods can be created from scratch or by combining existing components created by other content creators. A Mod can contain virtual components, meaning it points to existing content but doesn’t physically include it. This reduces redundant copies of the same components. A user who downloads a Mod containing virtual components will not be allowed to install it if those components don’t already exist on their system. An error log will inform the user of any missing components.

Source

Will a user be required to have online paid for after the year runs(included with buying game) out to be able to install mods or is their another way to install them after the year is up if people either are unhappy with the matchmaking or they just play off line.
The theory of it sounds good.
but with the virtual stuff im not sure.
ie If mod A,B and C have physical models
Mod D virtually takes some models of A,B and C (permission issues) to create their mod
Next Mod A changes some parameters in their mod to bring it to A1.1, does this now effect mod D,
would mod D now require that you have version 1 and 1.1 of mod A installed to run mod D
Does referencing a virtual mod (or part of) only reference the model or does it reference everything about that model including skin,sounds,physics etc

As models are given a unique id its hard to see how you could have 2 different versions.

does matchmaking point you only to open dedicated servers, or is like the console p2p.
Is matchmaking involved in private league servers, is it mandatory.
I still cant figure out how matchmaking works with dedicated servers.

I already asked it but unfortunately got no answer. So here is another try:

Are there any experiences how long it takes to create a (basic) Mod. Lets say a 2011 F1 car, skins and especially a original track.
I'm interested in this cause I would like to know when I can expect a F1 mod for rfactor2, so that it's worth for me to buy the beta when it comes out around christmas.

Thank you

There's no way of telling that I'm afraid, but there are several teams working on mods for rF2 already and they'll get the chance to learn how to integrate it into the game during the Open Beta. Hopefully we'll see high quality mods available soon after rF2's final release;).

I know that one well respected team is already working on a 2011 F1 Mod for rF2:).

Info here:

http://forum.smt-modding.bplaced.net/installationsverzeichnis/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3

Renders and screens here:

http://forum.smt-modding.bplaced.net/installationsverzeichnis/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back