WIP Gizmo Trail

Oh dear :( Do come back when you can :)

Sorry for the drama, what I mean is that it is springtime here now, it is hot, and I don't want to sit at home modeling when I can be outside. Besides, I have books to read and papers to write as well. I like modeling, and I like Racer, but it's not all there is to life..

@Eholov: thanks :)

Well, have done alot since the pre-alpha, and I think it soon may be time to release another preview. Highlights in the upcoming preview include an improved carpark with a bridge to a parking space on top of several roofs, connected with bridges. There is a new cinema showing only car movies (car movie weekend), Roy's Cafe in the desert area, movable tumbleweeds, a silo in the greek quarter, more and improved buildings, more and improved roads, a preliminary study for the BQE I am adding, and some other stuff. There remains a few bugfixes and some suggestions from sergio, amgfan and splashonda which I want to include, and even fix the road shaders so headlights are reflected (now they are ignored by the road texture). Also the LOD's have to be tuned, and flags must be corrected. It is turning in to a pretty nice track, and I myself really enjoy it. It is large, it has great variety, there are stunt areas as well as leisure areas, wide roads, narrow roads and back alleys. Stay tuned for the upcoming preview-release :)

Hi, I think I can do suggestion here :D
After reading some post in post screenies tread and spkeaking to AMG, I had some suggestion
I know modeling a track with zmod is realy annoying!!
So after runing in this track, i think the city center and roads are a bit too square it make it a bit boring. But humm what big track!
Also i know you're good to add some details. I think someone should do the main roads with max or blender add make them a bit curvy and you should but the nice details (bulding parking etc).
The track should have more of variety textures.
Ah i forget i've done an highway when i had max a long time ago, so if you want to use it!

This track is far from finished, i like the texture in the desert parts and the highways, but it should have more variety textures and a new city center less geometric
Keep it up!! ;)

@skybh: thanks for the input. I told AMG that it was way too early to make splines,
but he so wants to race AI's. But the point is, as you point out, the roads are far from
finished. I made a "skeleton" that I am working from, adding flesh to bone so to speak,
and since the first alpha release, you will see that I have altered the roads quite a bit,
and there is still more to come. The center will be square. No doubt about that. And if
you look at images of large citys, it is just so. That is also why there are alot of roads
leading /away/ from the center, to create variety, challenges, differences. Some roads
are highways, some are back alleys.. some are gravel and some are mountain roads.
And some are just plain surfaces.

I really don't want anyone to change the roads at this point, there are still some areas
that have not been added, but that are in the making. My way of working is not to do the
whole track at the same time, I would loose focus and it would be a total mess. So I work
on areas, mostly one or two at a time.

Though I am grateful for your comments, it reminds me of why it is important to keep
testers to a minimum, they test what you have added, and are aware of the changes not
yet included. I know you were included because AMG wanted splines, but he does not
have a complete image of the track, and is now only working with a very small part.

Sorry if I sound strict, but my point is, I think I have a pretty solid grip on this project, even
if I loose interest from time to time.. and if I am later unable to make the roads interesting,
then I will call you upon these words and maybe ask if you can "fix" the roads. ;) But until then,
I want to complete my ideas first, otherwise I will get lost. As you say, it is a really huge track,
and what you and the testers have seen, is only part of it.. the BQE is only partially implemented,
the southern part of the Vally is not included, and only one road to Rockys is available.

Oh well. Sorry again. Just mean to say that it is well on it's way..
it will be a good track.
I promise.

@2o6: Alpha here, but it is nothing like what it is now..

@skybh: thanks for the input. I told AMG that it was way too early to make splines,
but he so wants to race AI's. But the point is, as you point out, the roads are far from
finished. I made a "skeleton" that I am working from, adding flesh to bone so to speak,
and since the first alpha release, you will see that I have altered the roads quite a bit,
and there is still more to come. The center will be square. No doubt about that. And if
you look at images of large citys, it is just so. That is also why there are alot of roads
leading /away/ from the center, to create variety, challenges, differences. Some roads
are highways, some are back alleys.. some are gravel and some are mountain roads.
And some are just plain surfaces.

I really don't want anyone to change the roads at this point, there are still some areas
that have not been added, but that are in the making. My way of working is not to do the
whole track at the same time, I would loose focus and it would be a total mess. So I work
on areas, mostly one or two at a time.

Though I am grateful for your comments, it reminds me of why it is important to keep
testers to a minimum, they test what you have added, and are aware of the changes not
yet included. I know you were included because AMG wanted splines, but he does not
have a complete image of the track, and is now only working with a very small part.

Sorry if I sound strict, but my point is, I think I have a pretty solid grip on this project, even
if I loose interest from time to time.. and if I am later unable to make the roads interesting,
then I will call you upon these words and maybe ask if you can "fix" the roads. ;) But until then,
I want to complete my ideas first, otherwise I will get lost. As you say, it is a really huge track,
and what you and the testers have seen, is only part of it.. the BQE is only partially implemented,
the southern part of the Vally is not included, and only one road to Rockys is available.

Oh well. Sorry again. Just mean to say that it is well on it's way..
it will be a good track.
I promise.

@2o6: Alpha here, but it is nothing like what it is now..
About the city center, it's your choice ! ;) It remainds me a bit the big cities in america ;)
Also, i like the lake view part!
For the highway i sended it to amg but there is no terrain, only road. Also if you're able to make terrain, why not let me do the roads (maybe i'll should learn to use blender yet^^)
There is a lot of people on this project, it can be only better!!
And to be honnest, i think if it was me i would do only 1% of what you do... ;)

There is a lot of people on this project, it can be only better!!

Actually, the only ones doing actual work on the track (i.e. making models) are myself,
AMGfan and raphael. The others are testers - that is of course also work - and report
bugs as well as suggest new ideas and improvements. But yeah, a lot of people are
involved now, and I really appreciate that! Thanks guys, you know how grateful I am :)

PS: I would really love to post an image of AMGfan's house.. it is sooooo cool!!! But I will
let him do it when the condo area is ready..

I'd love to help more, it'd give me a chance to practise modelling, but sadly.. on Linux, I have to use Blender..which confuses me.

True, but it's the only one which has a direct export to Racer dof, right? If I used any of those programs I'd still need to import/export through Blender, which is still a pain.

I'll see what I can do ;)

Most things are hard in the beginning;) You can do a lot with blender. First I was very confused as well, but after fiddling around and searching stuff I'm able to make cars now so its worth to try:)

Hm. Since many testers have commented on the road structures,
even though I have stressed that they are not finished, the next
few days I am going to focus on just that.. the roads. And, to
satisfy all you hardcore Blender fans, I will use just that, Blender,
but not the 2.4 version.. I hate it.. I'll attempt to do it with the
alpha version. Flames are ignored. So tired of this "game" of
"my software is better than your software". After 16 years of
being a systems engineer, this kind of talk gets kind of boring,
and in the long run makes no sense. Software comes and goes,
as does hardware. There is no "ultimate" option, and if there
is one that claims to be it, wait another year or two, it is either
gone, or completely changed. That is a fact.

Now. Back to business. I'll fix the roads, and soon, hopefully, I
will release a beta preview, as I now really need massive feedback
before planning the final stages.

Thanks to both skybh, ks95, splash, amgfan, sergio and all the
rest of you who have commented so far. I admit that I have been
hesitant when it comes to deciding the final road layout, but for
my defense, I have not been sure about the final stages of the
track.. so I will make a quick judgment and stick to it as much
as I can.. and hopefully everyone will be happy with the choice
I make.. if not.. I'll rip it up and do it again :p

*bump*

Things are slowing down. My daughter is here for two weeks,
I am working extra hours and have no time at all for Racer.
The beta will therefore be delayed quite a while, alas. I could
release what I have now, but it will be like serving potatoes
without salt.. but if you nag me I might do it anyway. Just be
very aware that the track is still very unfinished, there are lots
of bugs, and I might still change a lot. If you /really/ want a
premature beta then add a thanks - and only then, and I will
decide from the amount of thanks if it is worth it. Just don't
complain because textures look odd, or if there is a bug, or if
you don't like this or that. It is highly irrelevant. Ok?

Again: Add a thanks ONLY if you think I should release a
premature beta.

I'm going to be on Windows again after Sunday all summer.. zmod time lol. So I hope I can help in some way, whether it's fixing any bugs or adding new content.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back