Give your opinion about how important the car is to you

Cars are perfect for everything really!

Planes are too big for small travelling
You cant walk for more than 30miles without being tired
Bicycles are the same as walkers
Trains only go to some places
and anything else is just not useful for daily travel

The car fits every target a person could need for travel. It can do simple 2 mile drives to the shop, it can do long Grand Tours across Europe or America. They are simple to use and all modern cars are very safe.
But also they can be raced together wheel to wheel which brings entertainment!

The car is probabaly one of the most important inventions in the history of mankind.

I am afraid Richard that you spewed utter cynicism and bullsh!t :).

Many people are not as fortunate as you, living close to amenities. Plus motor vehicle means more than just cars - how does your food get to your shop? The vehicle was a HUGE advancement for mankind. Ironically, like you say it may also contribute to it's downfall.

To be frank however, industrial pollution is greater than car pollution.

Cheap vehicle transport liberated mankind, I did not mention any side effects as far as pollution and tax goes. Plus your snobbish 'I don't own a car so I don't harm the environment' attitude annoyed me.

Sorry to have annoyed you Ryan, it was not my intent.

I never posted "I didn't harm the environment", I use electricity, gas and, as you pointed out, the goods I buy need transporting. My family and I produce an average amount of waste and recycle a small proportion, as much as the next family. I posted that my impact was less than the average two car family because of my non-reliance on the car, something of which I take a little pride from. The statement is only snobbish in the way that you have misinterpreted and misquoted it. I, mostly, used the words "motor vehicles" not cars and as such I was not singling cars out at all. However, the thread has developed along the singular theme of the car as a personal mode of transport and it's relevance to the individual poster, whether that was Peter's intention or not, my post reflected that.

Liberation and convenience are two different things, could all the actions provided by motor vehicles still be done without them, probably yes is the answer (except motorsport obviously). By all means cars, trucks and buses have made life easier for a great number of people but to say it liberated us is a bit grandiose. It has changed the way we live, work and play, of that there is no mistake but it is akin to the chicken and the egg situation. Have no doubts, the way we live today is directly connected to the invention of and mass adoption of the motor vehicle as a means of personal and mass transportation.

Whether that is a good or bad thing was not the point of my post, the point was to highlight the incredulity of your statement, that the motor vehicle liberated mankind. Liberated them from what exactly? Everything in modern civilisation could still have developed the way it has, shops would still be kept stocked, children would still go to school, journeys to see family and friends would still take place, man could still have gone to the moon and the earth could still be in peril of man-made climate change. It wouldn't be the same but it wouldn't be much different either so I ask again, liberated us from what?

I'm sorry you seem to have taken it personally despite me starting the post to the contrary. A cynic I am, of many things, it comes from having a broad view on a great many things and not just seeing what I want to see but how it is seen from many different perspectives, it's a side effect of ageing and experience. You don't agree with what I posted, which is your prerogative and my view still remains, that the motor vehicle has liberated mankind is probably the most ridiculous thing I have read on this forum.

Apologies to Peter for the thread hijack although it saves you having to bump the thread, today at least.

I just feel it that life would be very, very different. You've heard stories of people who never leave their county and that was because they didn't have a car. It's a fanciful notion but humankind is a whole lot less inbred nowadays haha.

I appreciate you opinion and respect the control of your disagreement in your post. If only more people could post in that way....

Richard, I think Peter's question was very clear. "How important is the car to you?" As such, the replies from people have been focused on the exact thing Peter asked about. The importance of the "car" to the "individual". Not to much leeway in that question. :)

Also, without the motor vehicle things would be very different and by no means would man have made it to the moon without it. It just wouldn't have been possible from a logistic standpoint. The shuttle itself is transported on something that resembles a giant tank from the hangar to the launch pad.

I think what Ryan means by liberated is, that the motor vehicle made things possible which were inconceivable prior to its conception. Traveling thousands of miles in a matter of a couple of days was unthinkable to most in the 1800's. Without the motor vehicle even our daily shopping would be much different as many of the things we have grown accustomed to, just wouldn't be available - not that we would know the difference. The impact of the motor vehicle on civilization has been immense. Without it, the world wouldn't come close to resemble what we call home these days. Can you imagine farmers still using horses to turn their fields. They wouldn't have tractors and advanced machinery, which have increased their productivity ten fold.

While I agree that liberated may not be the correct word here, it certainly has defined the way we live, and not just in the private sector.

Live next to country side so 4x4 is vital when the roads are icey / snowy or some off road fun on the front (Land Rovers / Quads etc )

Or though I much prefer to go on the mountain bike, will do that whenever I can to stay fit and not pump out fumes into the atmosphere but it's quite tricky if it's snowy and need to travel over 50 miles. ( takes to long if you need to get somewhere fast )

Maybe I should clarify it a bit more:

Very important= I can not do without it, it is really essential to me.
Important= It is important to me, but not essential, I could do without it if it would be necessary.
Not really important= I don't need a car, I can live without it although it sometimes is useful to have a car.
Not important at all= I don't need a car at all, I can easily live without it.

You need more votes? Do you have to provide evidence of a screenshot of this poll?

If not just double each answer and voila, you have a poll with enough answers for your project :D

Thinking you may have forgotten 'essential' in the vote list
Maybe I should clarify it a bit more:

Very important= I can not do without it, it is really essential to me.
Important= It is important to me, but not essential, I could do without it if it would be necessary.
Not really important= I don't need a car, I can live without it although it sometimes is useful to have a car.
Not important at all= I don't need a car at all, I can easily live without it.
If it is essential, it should be under Very important.

I'd say it's an important part of my life, having a car. I rely on having one to get me to work. But how much it means to me depends on what the car is. If I had a Clio I'd probably take it through the car wash once or twice. On the other hand, a Lotus Elise, I'd put a lot of effort into making sure there was always a shiny Elise on the drive, looking as good as it did the day it came out of the Factory.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back