Ginetta G60 LMP1 Prototype Revealed

Yep, I'm an idiot... Just realised i had the Ginetta and the Riley P3 car confused. Take what i said about the Ginetta back. I was thinking it looked like this...
unnamed3.jpg

My Mistake.
I was gonna say. The P3 really does look good.
IMG_2947.JPG

Since we are discussing esthetics in motorsports, I fired up a thread about that. It's half on topic so I don't think it will be a problem to post the link in here.... It just needs some exposure I guess :whistling:
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/grand-touring-automotion-the-big-discussion.145953/
On topic : the problem with lmp cars is that they are not visually recognizable which brand they represent, for the main crowd that is. Unless you paint the logo on it.... And what was all that red / black /white nonsense on all lmp1 cars? Could it be more generic?! That is the biggest problem in lmp1, besides the ridiculous budgets needed of course. That's why GTE is so much more appreciated. This Ginetta is just feeding the generic behavior and look of the lmp competition. Don't get me wrong, I love how lmp cars perform, but it could be a better all round package, tastier and offering more diversity if the brands took the same direction as with the gt prototype generation or the group C class. Though the latter group also, in their era, are not that far apart from each other visually.
Reintroduce gtp and gt1 into le mans, with modern technology, privateers only or with restricted budget for factory cars... So they would be forced to be more creative, less generic and for God sake be able to run 20 teams in the division in stead of the 3 teams.

This feels like a problem we've invented. "LMPs do not visually represent the brand". Wasn't a problem at any other point in motorsport history. Seems to be one we've invented recently.

It's silly to say "they don't look like the brand" and then say it'd be better like " gt prototype generation or the group C class"

The GT Prototype class imploded faster than any other class in the history of Le Mans, and Group C looked nothing like a road car. Reintroducing GT1 cars will not spike creativity, it will just mean homologation specials costing a ridiculous amount of money, and not available to privateer efforts due to limited supply to privateers. EXACTLY the problem which killed GT1 last time and lead to the long LMP era. Ford don't even want to sell the GTE car, and we're expecting manufacturers to supply private entries?

Also, we have 4 classes. We can't have 20 teams per class. That'd be 80 cars if we just had single car teams. Let's be sensible here.

Arguably the Ford GT GTE car IS a GT1 car. It still doesn't meet the ACO legal requirement for number of cars sold to be eligible for Le Mans, and it was built to the GTE regulations as a road car. Ford are also not selling them to customers, and when they leave will have a clean break. Is that what we want for Prototype racing? Can we not learn from history? Rather than repeat the failures? GT1 Prototypes were exceptionally pretty, but a horrendous idea for the long term. It was short term gain, long term loss.

This feels like a problem we've invented. "LMPs do not visually represent the brand". Wasn't a problem at any other point in motorsport history. Seems to be one we've invented recently.

It's silly to say "they don't look like the brand" and then say it'd be better like " gt prototype generation or the group C class"

The GT Prototype class imploded faster than any other class in the history of Le Mans, and Group C looked nothing like a road car. Reintroducing GT1 cars will not spike creativity, it will just mean homologation specials costing a ridiculous amount of money, and not available to privateer efforts due to limited supply to privateers. EXACTLY the problem which killed GT1 last time and lead to the long LMP era. Ford don't even want to sell the GTE car, and we're expecting manufacturers to supply private entries?

Also, we have 4 classes. We can't have 20 teams per class. That'd be 80 cars if we just had single car teams. Let's be sensible here.

Arguably the Ford GT GTE car IS a GT1 car. It still doesn't meet the ACO legal requirement for number of cars sold to be eligible for Le Mans, and it was built to the GTE regulations as a road car. Ford are also not selling them to customers, and when they leave will have a clean break. Is that what we want for Prototype racing? Can we not learn from history? Rather than repeat the failures? GT1 Prototypes were exceptionally pretty, but a horrendous idea for the long term. It was short term gain, long term loss.

Best comment on this thread.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back