GIMP output problem = no skin in EVO

I have downloaded the fantastic opensource software skinmaker tutorial created by Saul Boucher (Thanks!:thumbsup:) . I have installed GIMP and the DDS plugin and before even trying to change the cars colour i wanted to check the output. I followed all steps with the default skinpack for the BMW mini. Exported the file to DDS format in my customskin folder in my docs.
Made an ini file with the right text, started up EVO and...no skin. i used the search button in this forum but i cant find the right topic. Im using GIMP 2.8.4 and the DDS plug-in 2.2.1.
Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Under C: Users Documents Simbin Race07 Customskins you should find a Error.log file. open it with a text editor and you should at least have a clue whats going wrong, maybe paste it here, so it should be easier to help you :)

Most errors with skin can be traced back to 2 causes...Either the ini file is not correct or something went wrong while exporting the dds file.
The first one is easy to check. Here's an example of the correct entries for the mini:
[BMW MINI COOPER]
body=
windows=
interiorwindow=
driver=
ext_driver=
helmet=

The second one is a bit more difficult but 9 out of 10 times people use the wrong export settings. You need to export the dds file in DXT1 format (without alpha layer) and you need to let it generate 6 mipmaps.
If however you are sure that you did everything correctly just post the skin here and I'll have a look...

Thanks for the reply's!:thumbsup:

The problem starts after opening the BMW Template downloaded from the simbin site. Somehow it seems that i miss a layer or that GIMP does not show the shading layer. As tick and untick the shading layer nothing happens. The whole template is filled out yellow, except from the parts itself. As the picture within the PDF tutorial has nice separated parts i dont see the outlines cause everything is yellow...

I made a backup of all added liveries, incl the error report and try again. If i receive an error report i will post it here.

Thanks for the help so far. I'll be back....:)

Okay...im one step further, one problem solved. Im trying to bend the spoon:).
The manual says: Make sure "Hide extensions for known file types" does not have a checkmark in it:redface:...
So now i have my entry within the game and i am able to select the mini. There is only one slight problem: i only see the wheels, which could be a very interesting livery but i rather would like to see the whole body.
The error log tells me five times: Could not find texture file []!
I have merged the layers so i reckon there is only 1 layer at the moment which is the whole body...
I exported the PSD file into DDS in BC1 / DXT1 format with generate mipmaps on.

Well, that is strange behaviour although the error basicly says a lot. Somehow the game isn't able to locate the texture you specified in the ini file. Or there is something wrong with the texture itself so that the game can't load it. So assuming you've entered the correct data in the ini there is still something wrong with the dds file. The only way for me (and you) to know for certain is that you sent me both the psd and the dds file. I work with photoshop and I can hunt down these kind of errors much simpler. Chances are that Photoshop can't even open the dds file at this moment. My e-mail: mcaa666@hotmail.com
Once we have determined the fault we can then work to correct it using GIMP.
We can even talk in dutch then :)

I have tackled the problem that i only saw the wheels in game. The dialog screen appearing after merging the layers, has an option which asks to merge the layers within the active group. That was standand ticked, i unticked it and now i see the body appear in game.

Problems are solved!

As written before:
The problem starts after opening the BMW Template downloaded from the simbin site. Somehow it seems that i miss a layer or that GIMP does not show the shading layer. As tick and untick the shading layer nothing happens.

The problem was that the wire layer and the shading layer were placed within the Top layer. Moving them on top of the layer stack, they became visible.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 206 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 148 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 264 13.6%