Giedo van der Garde secures Le Mans, WEC and ELMS drive

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
jota.jpg

Former Caterham and Sauber Grand Prix driver Giedo van der Garde has confirmed a deal to drive an LMP2 JOTA Sport Gibson 015S-Nissan in the 2016 running of the Le Mans 24 Hour endurance classic.

Having spent 2015 sitting on the sidelines following his on off deal to drive for the Swiss Sauber team in Formula One, affable Dutchman van der Garde makes his return to full time competition this season competing in the European Le Mans Series alongside the season opening WEC 6 hours of Spa and the pinnacle of the endurance racing calendar, the Le Mans 24 Hour round the clock classic in June.

Speaking to fans via his official @GvanderGarde Twitter account van der Garde had the following to say:

"the word is out, finally I can say the words every driver wants to say at the beginning of a racing season: I am pleased to announce that the coming year I will be driving ELMS with JOTA Racing, including the WEC 6 hours of Spa-Francorchamps and - here is my dream coming true - the 24 hours of Le Mans! Lets go, hopefully its going to be a successful journey!"

30 year old van de Garde will be partnered by JOTA Sport regulars Simon Dolan and another soon to be announced driver in the LMP 2 spec Gibson 015S-Nissan during his ELMS campaign.

Simon Dolan, JOTA Sport partner, driver “I am very much looking forward to sharing a car with Giedo this season. He has a very strong pedigree in racing and I am sure he will be a great asset to the team. From what I have heard he has already made a good impression at the workshop and it is evident he is hungry to forge a good career in endurance racing.

“2016 is a big year for JOTA Sport with an expanded program, so there is a lot of hard work to come, but also a lot to look forward to. We cannot wait to get started.”

With JOTA Sport expanding its opperations into the World Endurance Championship in 2016 this announcement is surely a stepping stone for the Dutchman to forge a career in Sportscar racing following his shambolic exit from the world of Formula One at the beginning on the 2015 season in Melbourne.

Hoping to join other big name former Grand Prix drivers such as Mark Webber, Giancarlo Fisichella and Anthony Davidson in the ranks of the WEC, this latest announcement will provide a fine shop window for the often underrated driver with an opportunity to show his talents both at the season opening Spa 6 hour and of course the key date in any endurance drivers diary, the Le Mans 24.

JOTA Sport led the majority of the 2015 ELMS before eventually finishing runner up in 2015 and van der Garde will no doubt be looking to go into the new season all guns blazing in order to put his career back on track after his recent troubles in Formula One.

Do you think Giedo van der Garde has what it takes to become a successful driver in WEC, the pinnacle of endurance racing? Let us know in the comments section below!

WEC seems to be providing another solid season. Nice deal to see pros now even entering LMP2. Best of luck for JOTA sport, looking forward to seeing them at Spa.

Last edited:
Nice to see that Guido will be racing again in 2016 after he got screwed by Sauber last year. Lets hope things work out for him.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back