Getting started with TrackEd

Hi,
I'm attempting to get started with creating my first track for Racer and I have read all of the documentation I can find on www.racer.nl, but I'm still having a hard time getting it all together. I thought I'd try to start of by simply making only the track drivable and then add everything else later..
I have created a DOF-file of the track I want to make (link) and I'm now trying to make the splines with TrackEd.
So far I have been trying to hold shift while dragging between to points to create a line and the pressed 'A' to turn it into a spline. I will try to sum up my questions below:
  • I read that it should be possible to just press a multiple times and let TrackEd find the best line. How do you construct a track where this works or do you have to click and drag for every single spline?
  • When you look at 'carlswood_nt' there is a blue line on one side of the track; what does it do?
I'll propably come up with more questions as soon as the splines is in place, but any help I can get to achieve that is very appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

In order for splines to work automatically you need a mesh where the track surface you want to drive on is one long string of quads as wide as the track - it's easiest if this is in its own object. Once you've picked the start line and maybe the next one along, it can figure out which way you're going and work its way along for you.

1st you've got to choose the correct mode "Road splines" in TrackEd by pressing F5.
Then hold down shift and click+drag between 2 Vertexes (the green dots) the selction turns yellow, press A to draw the fist spline section.

The blue line indicates the left side of the track (red=right side).

That helped a lot! I actuallt managed to get the autosplining working once, but when I try do it now it simply won't work..
Where am i suppose to put the vertex-marker when I want to auto-spline?
I'm quite sure I did like this (Please correct me if this is wrong):
51e5a45aab14b.png

First of all cut all of you're DOF-files wich have nothing to do with you're road surface out of you're track folder and safely put them away in a temporarily folder.
Restart you're track in TrackEd.
Draw line 1 (preferably you're start finish line).
Press A; the yellow selection line immediately jumps towards a next, by TrackEd suggested, spline, wich is hopefully line 3 in you're diagram.
Then press AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..... all the way round you're track.
Save, and put you're DOF-files back in you're track folder.

That's how I do it.

I found the error -.- I was clicking the Button to add spline, but for some reason it only works if I press A? Thought they did the same thing ^^

Does it matter if not all segments are the same length?

hmm, should work exactly the same.

It doesn't matter if you're segments differ in length.
But try not to skip any vertices of you're road mesh or else (if you're track has any elevation) you're spline will be hovering above or under the raod surface.

I have a small tutorial somewhere around here on paper on "how to get a track up and working in racer" from about ten years ago wich should still get you going.
Tomorrow I'll try to scan this for you.

i have a "fake" track folder...it has only the extreme basic files witch are needed to get no crash...
track.ini, special.ini (with all verry basic values you need, at least 2 trackcam's etc...)....no textures (you can add them), no shader file...the traffic.ini gets generated by tracked, same with the geometry.ini...

i add only the nokia.dof and assign to it flags=6 for collide and surface...then i save and reload the track and start with the splines...save and you have a "working" track...ok you need at least one grid pos (pos 0)...

As promised an old tutorial (wich still works btw).
Things wich have to be updated in the tutorial for todays Racer versions;
1. It says nothing about a track.shd
you'll need one for you're textures to work.
Look how it's done in another track.
2. Again look in another track for the gfx in the special.ini

Did I forget something?

Attachments

• How_to_get_a_track_up_and_working_in_Racer.pdf
    241.6 KB · Views: 768

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 139 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.0%