1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General Race Game Thread

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by Robin Chung, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Even the best of couch huggers will be away from their consoles at times, making it impossible to satisfy bubbling racing needs. Picture yourself waiting for the train or being stuck at family gatherings, you’d love to pick up a portable device and play. Your mind is running circles, unsure what app to launch. Well guess no more, the answer is coming. We test the best mobile racer applications to help you in these social situations, thus curing the need to socialize… with people and such.

Testing a mobile racing game isn’t about the handling or being a full-on simulator. Instead we’ll be looking if it’s any fun and if it offers even a glimpse of driving nirvana at your fingertips. Our gear will be extensive and devices almost everyone owns. Think of an iPhone, iPad, Android and we might even throw the Playstation Vita into the mix as well.

Our software line-up shares the same sense of diversion. The apps will consist of officially licenced software, fictional racers and everything in-between. In short, there’s something for everyone. Unless you’re really alternative, in which case you’d be better off going to a general gaming website like IGN or Gamespot.

If you’re still here, thanks for reading till the end! We’ll begin very soon with a review of Asphalt 6 for the iPhone. If you’re a developer and would like to have your application tested for the coveted title of best mobile racer of 2011, please contact me using the link below.

Contact me, get your mobile racer tested.

Thanks and see you soon,

2. The original wipeout available on xperia play is the best i have played so far. Needs a review lol :)
  3. Shift on Android does it for me.
  4. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

How about Drag Racing for Android? :)
  5. Mohameddo-san

F1 Sim Racer & #1 St. Bernard Lover on RD Premium Member

Earlier this year, I was practising F1 Challenge '99-'02 trying to do it like the champions by beating their real-life times with all aids turned off and helmet view; I pretty much spent all my time learning how to handle the car and making sure I don't lose grip on any corner. I am a bit of a perfectionist and very hard on myself when I screw up on certain aspects like not braking in increments, being erratic with the steering wheel, not pressing the throttle if all the wheels don't touch the ground.

I used to be pretty decent without driving aids; for example, in the PSP version of Gran Turismo, I used to be able to manoeuvre the car through many of the tests, and in F1 2010 PS3, I set it on the lowest difficulty and played on a controller with all aids off excluding racing line and manual gears, and I still managed to win the championship.

Now, after my hiatus from racing sims, I am not bold enough to do it without aids.

What is your advice?
  6. I personally don't think it makes any difference. I don't think there's any illegitimate advantage to be had from driver aids like traction control. There's still a lot of challenges left for the driver. Adjusting your lines and braking points for changes in grip caused by changing weather, tire wear, drafting, etc. is something which is just as important with TCS and ABS as it is without.
  7. It's huge advantage you mean !

Depending on the track, it can make you a lot faster without much hassle, and on long-term, like in Endurance Races, it can totally save your race, make you more consistent and less prone to mistakes !
  8. Mohameddo-san

Well, I also thought that if I was going to compete with you guys, I had to learn how to do it without aids because I assumed the best drivers on this site drove without them.
  9. An advantage, sure. But not an illegitimate advantage imo.
  10. Almost all Aids are turned off from our Club events (Atleast rFactor and RACE's club do dunno about F1 2011, netkar etc). Only one we normally allow is auto gears.
  11. Craig Stevenson

Craig Stevenson
    Premium Member

Not only do you have more hair on your chest if you drive without aids, you also have a bigger................. :tongue:
  12. Mohameddo-san

Does anyone on here play futuristic racing games such as F-Zero, Wipeout, etc.?

I want to know if they count because I find them highly addictive. (At least F-Zero because it seems like a sci-fi offshoot of the future of F1).
  13. Does anyone here know of any good racing manager game?? Been looking for abit but cant find any good ones.Thanks
  14. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

No new ones, you have all the old ones, where Grand Prix Manager 2 and Grand Prix World are the best.
  15. I found a fun one for iPhone and Android called Grand Prix Story, bit cartoony but really quite fun and very addictive.
  16. Hiroshi Awazu

Hiroshi Awazu
    Off Topic Moderator

I'm assuming the most of us own more than one driving game here so in what order do you like them?

I like mine in this order.

1.Simbin Race series

2.Forza Motorsports 4

4.GT Legends

5.Gran Turismo 5
  17. Bram

Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

1) Game Stock Car
    2) iRacing
    3) GT5
  18. 1., Race Series
    2., rFactor
    3., Richard Burns Rally

These are the racing games I'm playing nowadays.
  19. GT Legends - love those oldies, and the great Historic racing club and league here
    Richard Burns Rally - I never winced so much in any other game :D
    netKar PRO - great fun, and one of the most rewarding driving experiences. It's a bit low because there are many open wheelers which I don't know how to drive :redface:

Then everything else.