General Discussion thread crashes my browser?

Jim Hawley

PrestoGP Veteran
I'm having issues reading this particular thread, every time I try it kills my browser, all the other threads are fine?

Anyone else having the same problems?

Jim:unsure:

And I spelt "thread" wrong:thumbsdown:...and "General" ...... I'm tired:(

Got to the bottom of my problem, maybe will help you Jim, it looks like there are quite a few scripts being run on each page (basic scripts/javascripts). Using IE9 x64 caused some of these scripts to bomb out, which froze the browser, which looped the script, which froze the browser and so on. Changed to IE9 32bit and all seems well. The pages that caused me problems now work ok.

This bug has started to appear for me too.. Firefox did update itself to v13 (lol... what other software has progressed from v3 to 13 in one year...idiotic..) and now i get those crashes too. No stuttering or any kind other symptoms, just straight out CTD.

im having a lot of problems with the new flash player guys, crashes alot since the update, could be that causing your probs, try reinstal flash.
Same as David maybe, the new flash player and with the Aussie equivalent of BBC video [i.e. ABC video] appears to have introduced some Video Card [ati] memory blah blah ID-10-T error [crash/ failure] for me.

No problems with the forum though.

This is a wide phenomenon. It's the Flash player update that broke firefox. I can now crash FF with almost 100% certainty..The bug is happening when you close a page (or navigate to new link...) which has flash content in it while keeping another tab open at the same time, of course with flash content in that also.. So it's two flash tabs and you close one of them...

I'll try to check if i can put FF13 in to "legacy" state, where the plugin container is deactivated. Worked with FF8-12, noticed then that the plugin container brought more issues than what it resolves, sadly the settings are defaulted on each update (FF13, seriously? What, from v3 to v13 in a year).. It was created exactly so that if one tab (and it's plugin) crashes, it doesn't bring the whole program down but instead it clogs your system big time.. FF can easily take 1gb of memory when faulty plugin containers refuses to shut down. Or that was the case with FF12 and earlier.

EDIT: ok, i had conflicts in the config files.. Some parameters had been changed, some removed some added. Defaulted most of the and enabled the plugin container, let's see if it works now.

I did some changes, more or less moved back to Firefox defaults (plugin container settings..) and haven't had a crash since. I guess they've finally fixed that plugin container but broke the older system at the same time.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 308 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.6%