Gasly and Hartley Confirmed as 2018 Toro Rosso Pairing

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Gasly Hartley Confirmed for Toro Rosso 2018.jpg

In an unsurprising announcement early today, Toro Rosso have confirmed current incumbent pairing Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley will form their 2018 Formula One driving strength.

Newly crowned double World Endurance Champion Hartley will make his full time Formula One debut next season, some eight years after being unceremoniously dropped from the Red Bull junior driver programme, capping a remarkable comeback for the talented New Zealander whos top level open wheel career appeared to be over before it really began after his Red Bull association came to an early end.

Hartley had since gone on to make a name for himself in long distance endurance racing with the works Porsche prototype outfit, an arrangement that looks to draw to a close this weekend in Bahrain when the famous German marque step away from the World Endurance series and their hugely successful LMP1 programme. With options apparently limited for the 28-year-old Kiwi, a career in the United States driving in IndyCar beckoned for Hartley before his surprise call up to Toro Rosso ahead of the Austin round of the World Championship, a seat that the driver would continue to hold for the remainder of the year as he looks to re-establish his open wheel credentials following a prolonged period racing in closed cockpit machines.

Understandably Hartley was delighted to confirm his plans for 2018, bucking the recent trend in Formula One of teenage rookies the likes of fellow Toro Rosso graduate Max Verstappen and Williams teenager Lance Stroll:

"Really amazing to be confirmed as a Formula 1 driver for next year with Toro Rosso" said Hartley. "It's very satisfying to have converted an opportunity that came as a surprise into a 2018 F1 drive, I couldn't be happier! I'd like to thank Red Bull and Toro Rosso for believing in me and giving me this second chance – dreams can come true. I'm now going to carry on working harder than ever in order to finish this busy end of season on a high and start the new year as strong as possible... Bring it!"
Alongside the double WEC champion and former Le Mans 24 Hour winner will be another full season rookie and current Toro Rosso "super sub" - Pierre Gasly will line up for the Italian outfit in 2018 as he looks to make the next step up in what has been an impressive career in the junior formula, ending in a near miss championship challenge this season in the Japanese Super Formula series to go alongside his 2016 GP2 title and runners up Formula Renault 3.5 series result from 2014.

Gasly has already made an impression in Formula One during his four race stint in the distinctive Toro Rosso car, often showing pace that belies his lack of experience, even if the results achieved so far don't necessary translate into the raw pace displayed by the young 21-year-old Frenchman.

"I'm super happy to race for Scuderia Toro Rosso in 2018, for my first proper season in Formula 1" said Gasly at the announcement of the new deal. "I would like to thank all the people involved, who helped me get here: Red Bull, Toro Rosso, my family and all the ones who have supported me in the lower series. I'm really excited and super motivated to give it my all in Abu Dhabi and the whole of next year! I just can't wait!"
With the team locked into a fierce battle for seventh in the constructors standings heading into the final round of the season at Abu Dhabi it will be interesting to see if this early announcement has a positive effect on the drivers performances, especially considering the considerable financial incentive on offer for a higher ranking and with the small Italian team taking a risk on works Honda engines in 2018. If the engine and technical package are yet to be proven ahead of the new year, one thing is for sure, and that is Toro Rosso have one of the strongest driving line ups of its history in Formula One heading into 2018.

Check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment for more news from the premier open wheel series in the world.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you think Toro Rosso have made the right driver choice for next year? Can Gasly and Hartley deliver in 2018? Does Hartley deserve another crack at Grand Prix racing? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
They pick Hartley over Buemi, Alguesari and Vergne. Ok.

Yup, the bloke is class. Double WEC champion, LM24 winner and one of the best prototype sportscar drivers in the world these past few years. I reckon that's pedigree :)

Personally I think Hartley more than deserves his chance in F1, and I actually think 2018 could be a mega year for him, I just hope performance isn't masked by yet another lousy Honda engine...

As a longtime F1 fan and a proud Kiwi I am absolutely stoked that Hartley has a drive next year! Well deserved too! First Kiwii driver in F1 since 1984 no less.... NZ had a long and proud history with F1 up until then, (McLaren, Hulme, Amon) our media is already doing major reports on the F1 since Hartleys been in the seat.
Red Bulls got wings and this Kiwi can fly! Now we just wait for Honda to deliver a decent engine.... :/

Yup, the bloke is class. Double WEC champion, LM24 winner and one of the best prototype sportscar drivers in the world these past few years. I reckon that's pedigree :)

Personally I think Hartley more than deserves his chance in F1, and I actually think 2018 could be a mega year for him, I just hope performance isn't masked by yet another lousy Honda engine...

Harley came in F1 like they did in the old days. First winning in all kinds of other series in various types of cars. Than in their mid 20 finally getting the honour of driving a F1. Hope he does well..

Great to see Hartley in, proper CV, drivers like Lotterer who have achieved similar things should have had the chance, glad Hartley will, followed the lad since 2009.

Totally agree the guy is top class and I'm happy for him that he's been given this chance :thumbsup:

Best of luck to both of them :)

However there is this very slight niggle for me. He was signed for Ganassi racing in Indycar when this deal was offered. He had available a race winning seat in a top Indycar team. Ok it's F1 and I know the appeal is there but he's going to be lucky to be battling for 10th place and it could be a very long year in 2018. Just my thoughts.

However it is F1 and I'm sure he'll get lots of support from the fans.

I just hope the Red Bull machine doesn't treat him like dirt and spits him out at the end of the year.

Totally agree the guy is top class and I'm happy for him that he's been given this chance :thumbsup:

Best of luck to both of them :)

However there is this very slight niggle for me. He was signed for Ganassi racing in Indycar when this deal was offered. He had available a race winning seat in a top Indycar team. Ok it's F1 and I know the appeal is there but he's going to be lucky to be battling for 10th place and it could be a very long year in 2018. Just my thoughts.

However it is F1 and I'm sure he'll get lots of support from the fans.

I just hope the Red Bull machine doesn't treat him like dirt and spits him out at the end of the year.
It's F1, once in a lifetime opportunity; Indycar is chalk and cheese compared to F1, he might struggle there. Besides, doubt he will be around for more than 2 years, so there is always a chance he might go to Indycar.

It's F1, once in a lifetime opportunity; Indycar is chalk and cheese compared to F1, he might struggle there. Besides, doubt he will be around for more than 2 years, so there is always a chance he might go to Indycar.

Yes I agree with you but I think you can see where I'm coming from.

He's used to winning in a competitive car. Next year he will be lucky to probably even finish races. That will be tough. I hope I'm wrong though as he's top class and a great driver. Fingers crossed :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.