Gaming Headsets

Fellow iRacers,

I think it's about time I made the move up to some decent headgear for my online racing exploits and especially some tins with a mic attached (a large upgrade from the cheap and nasty Phillips headphones I currently use, lol).

I ain't Rockafeller, but I ain't Scrooge either, so happy to pay where it's worth it.

Keep seeing the Logitech G930 headset getting good feedback on the web (which I may plump for) as well as its predecessor, the Logitech G35.

Just wondered what you guys (who use voice chat during race sessions) were using.

Feedback much appreciated.

:cool:

I used my Koss up untill it broke recently (it snapped due to my big head)... $30 bucks off of Wal-mart's website. VERY nice, even though it's such a low end-ed price. A lot of people have been put off by that price, but don't let it fool ya. Though, I'm sure it's not as nice as the one's you'd pay 300 bucks for... then again, I've seen some go for 600 bucks that didn't have what this cheapy Koss has ;). I'll get the model for ya soon enough, if I don't forget.

I have used the Steelseries 4h in the past and liked it a lot but the Windows drivers sucked for it and was unreliable so I rarely used the software. When the wires finally got run over too much I decided to go wireless and will never look back to wires. I now use the Creative Labs WOW Wireless Headset. Wireless works great - I've never had any issues with static or connectivity. The sound is really good too - I don't hear any static. They are also THX certified if that means much anymore. They are also very comfortable, even over long periods.

Things I don't like about it:
It's reviews said it breaks easily because it is largely cheap plastic and that is true. I don't have kids to mess with them so I have handled mine carefully and they have not broken for almost a year now, but they certainly feel pretty flimsy if you put too much pressure.
The only other thing is the possibility of the batteries dying in a race but that is with any wireless set. It happened to me once an I had to finish a race with no sound! Almost crashed a few times but managed to finish barely! In the end the wireless is more important to me. Besides, now I keep it plugged in when I'm done for the day with my computer and it has not run out since. Also, the set will work when plugged in, so now I keep the USB cable nearby so I can plug it in quickly if I need to during a race.

Last Monday, my Logitech G930 arrived. Immediately started charging the battery to use it the same night in a Race07 league-event.

This headset is in sound quality totally different from my normal wireless headset from Logitech. So much clearer and finally some good bass available. I cannot say more things about it, since I only used it once. Time will tell what pro's and con's there are.

Of course, no problem.

Initially some written cons are not true. Maybe Logitech revised it or so. I read about it was very quickly going into sleep mode and it was hard to turn it on again, which is not true. No single issue during my 2 hours online in the event.
The also read issues with mute not working, but there is a button and you can swing the mic up to mute.

But more when I have tested it longer :)

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread from June, lol, but seeing as it was me that started it, I'd just like to add that I now have a new headset and mic, so if I get my config right, you'll all have the pleasure of hearing my Yorkshire twang over the iRacing airwaves from Sunday night and future race meets, lol.

Bought a new G930 headset off eBay, which was effectively overstock from hardware bundles, so there was no install CD, but the tins are brand spanking new. Downloaded the software from Logitech and installed easy peasy. Been charging a few hours and still have them plugged in to get full charge but currently listening to iTunes with them on, and for my head/ears they are dead comfy and are giving out some great sound.

Look forward to my first G930 iRacing experience tomorrow night @ Silverstone.

;-)

I've had Platronics steel series,creative fatality,G35 and at least 10 other headsets over the years.I just recently started using the Sennheiser PC360 G4ME and it's like ear sex.All others sound like a plastic cup pressed over your ears.It's so hard to explain but the sound is like being in an open meadow compared to being in a small closet.

I got H530s and although cheaper end of the market work quite well. The only thing i have found is if i dont plug them into the back of the machine i have issues. The front usb ports play up with this in and cause crashes. very strange but nothing else does this only the headsets

Speaking personally of course.....

Really like the G930's. They fit my head really comfy, and the cups fit around my ears just fine. It isn't as heavy as it looks either, and for me is barely noticeable that I have them on. I was expecting them to be more weighty than what they are.

The microphone fits neatly on the left earphone and folds up out of the way when not being used (and is automatically muted). When I need to use it, just tilt it forward and the mic automatically enables and is flexible enough to be able to bend into position to suit.

The software is really easy to use to set the usual mic volume, bass, treble etc. and also provides info of battery charge level. When using in wireless mode an audible bleep is heard to indicate that there is less than an hour of charge remaining when the battery is getting run down. As I'm typing I have them plugged in recharging, whilst listening to my music.

iRacing and C.A.R.S. sound great too, much better than my weak baseless old Phillips headset, lol. Enabling the surround when racing gives definite change to the sound and allows you to hear what's going on around you.

If the earphones are not being used by any software after a short period they go into sleep mode. To re-activate just requires the power button on the left earphone to be held in for a few seconds and they blip back in to life. I have not experienced them going in to sleep mode when in use, which I think had been reported in some reviews.

The left earphone also the power on/off button, a small switch to enable surround sound, which again I find works well. There is a further volume adjust wheel and a button to mute the mic. There are also 3 additional G-Keys that can be preprogrammed from within the Logitech software for setting a hot-key command for listed software like next track, previous track, pause etc.

When fully charged they run wireless for quite some time and would easily last for a prolonged driving session.

I tend to use them when just working on the PC, playing music from iTunes and for me the sound is great. Also, having the wireless option I can just get up and wander off around the house from the PC for a drink and leave the earphones on.

When all said and done, I'm really happy with them glad I bought them. I can't compare them to any other headsets in the same category/price range, as I've never had any, as I've always had the cheaper headsets.

I appreciate there are alternatives out there that may out perform the G930's in some areas, but I wouldn't class the G930 as a bad headset. It is effectively the G35 with wireless option, so I guess if debating between the two, for arguments sake, the kicker is going to be whether you want the wireless option.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 263 13.6%