DiRT Rally Game doesn't save controller settings any moore

Any ideas what might cause this? I use a bunch of controllers and everything has worked fine until now. The only things i changed recently was adding the "DiRT Rally - Enhanced Camera Control Mod 4.1" (a great mod btw, thanks @Tommi-TAG!) and switching my TH8A shifter to sequential from H-pattern. Also, do you know of a file somewhere where the game keeps the controller settings? Thanks!

EDIT: Everytime i start the game i have settings which i believe are some defaults. Strangely the steering seems to be OK, but the settings for pedals, shifters and all the button mappings are gone.

CSW v2 with universal wheel hub, G27 pedals, G27 H-shifter, TH8A shifter, DSD P2 button box, Logitech Attack 3 joystick (not used in DIRT Rally but it's connected), a few keyboards (don't ask :)) and a mouse.

Last edited:
Hi, RaceWasGood.
It is a known issue that has been reported on Steam Community Forum since the release of this game. And it happens without Mods.
Please read these threads and you might find a clue for solution.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/31056...gidforum=611704730326201120&include_deleted=1

One of the solutions to this issue is to edit the controller profiles directly.

- Please go to the following directory and you can find the preset files.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DiRT Rally\input

Usually, we have to edit "keyboard.xml" + "your controller.xml" (+ other controller.xml if necessary).

Open ".xml" with Notepad and edit the line(s) which you want to change, then save. I think you can understand it soon.

- The controller settings are saved in Steam Cloud as far as I remember.

After edited the files, please go to the following directory and make a back up of "310560" folder.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\(Your Steam ID)\310560

and disable Steam Cloud temporarily (if you are using Steam Cloud).

Steam Client Main Menu - Library - Right Click on "DiRT Rally" and select "Properties" - "UPDATES" tab - uncheck the checkbox of "Steam Cloud" below.

Then, launch DiRT Rally and check the changes are applied.

- Enable Steam Cloud again if necessary.

Please try this way. And you still have some issue, please report it on Codemasters Official Forum with detailed information of your PC & Controllers.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for your thorough answer and tips! I didn't expect your mod to cause any problems in the first place :) I'll try what you suggested as soon as i get a chance. Thanks!
Thanks for your reply, RaceWasGood.
Yes, I knew you didn't think my Mod was the cause of the issue. Thanks for your consideration.
I also have the same issue and use the edited controller profiles, and shared the information this time.
I hope this way works and you can solve the problem.
Thank you! :)

I found this at the Steam community search-link Tommi-TAG was referring to: "as long as you don't remap the pause button, controls will not reset each time you start the game". Come to think of it, i actually remapped the pause button before, so i went ahead and remapped everything else but the pause button and restarted the game. This "workaround" seems to have fixed the problem for me. Happy days :D Thanks again for your input guys!

yep, happens about every six weeks, heaven knows why. since my setup is very basic (just one wheel and pedals) it takes about 30 secs to get it all back to order, just a tad annoying.
Codemasters F1 series and GRID Autosport based on the same EGO engine had the broken savagame issue. And it took long time to fix it. I also hope they'll fix this problem fundamentally. :)

I found this at the Steam community search-link Tommi-TAG was referring to: "as long as you don't remap the pause button, controls will not reset each time you start the game". Come to think of it, i actually remapped the pause button before, so i went ahead and remapped everything else but the pause button and restarted the game. This "workaround" seems to have fixed the problem for me. Happy days :D Thanks again for your input guys!
I'm glad to hear you could solve the problem! :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back