F1 2017 Game completely unplayable

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)
I've just got the game and tried playing it and it has a really odd bug that makes the game completely unplayable where the car automatically goes left on its own and wont turn right even if the 360 controls are left on default ( not tried on a wheel yet , but this bug seems to set it even before you touch any controls when youre just sat in the car as you seem to be looking left automatically rather than straight on ) . I cant understand it at all . I cant make the car go right at all . It just physically wont do it and just turns left automatically once the autopilot switches itself off after coming out of the garage . I even tested with the contoller turned off and just using the keyboard and got the same result . Ive looked on google and seen no cases of this bug with this game anywhere else at all . If I cant get it fixed before I reach the 2 hour mark to test it then Im getting a refund off Steam as its just absolutely ridiculous .

Last edited:
Check your controller(wheel) software/driver outside of the game. It may not let the game control the peripheral and may not have a key/button assigned to turning right. My logitech will do that and I have to select; " Let the application program the controller".

Check your controller(wheel) software/driver outside of the game. It may not let the game control the peripheral and may not have a key/button assigned to turning right. My logitech will do that and I have to select; " Let the application program the controller".

Thanks but I also have the same problem with the gamepad disconnected and trying it with the keyboard instead so its not a peripheral problem . Not seen others with this bug though

Last edited:
I've just tried GTA Online . The 360 controller works fine . Tried this again and the car just wants to turn left of its own accord . Never known anything like it :( Ive got about 50 minutes game time left to try anything anyone may be able to come up with before I'll be pretty much forced to get a refund . Its not like its a cheap game either . £45 is pretty expensive , too expensive to be just left to rot in the library :unsure:

Have you tried assigning the keys again?

Ive tried it with the default button settings and Ive even tried it with a controller unplugged and the default keyboard settings . I can tell its going to do it before I even touch anything as when it goes to the garage at the start of the session my character is automatically just looking to the left instead of straight ahead like every other version of the game . Its completely unfathomable as Ive not seen any else have this problem at all

Just in case the default controls are corrupted somehow does anyone know which file I could delete to replace by verifying the cache ? I really dont want to download 40gb again especially if it still has the potential of fixing nothing

Ive tried repeatedly reassigning the buttons as well as default controls and different peripherals and no luck . Ive tried about 4 or 5 different variations of buttons and it still wants to go left . It wants to look left in the garage and it wants to veer left on the track . I cant even turn it right either

I am trying to figure out why a vanilla game would do something like this. Haven't seen any other reports about it.

I don't think you need to redownload 40gb, as a matter of fact you never have to do this with Steam. Indeed trying to verify the cache might be a good idea.

Considered shooting an email to Codies about this?

Just deleted Windows Gaming input dll , verified the cache to replace it , reconfigured the controller ... and still got exactly the same problem . Its pointless emailing codies as all theyll do is send me to their robot numpties who always give the same ( verify the cache , reinstall the game ) response . I was hoping someone here ( who tends to be far more knowledgable with handling these games than Codies themselves ) might have a clue . Time is not starting to be on my side with it either as I'm at 83 minutes gametime .

Well , seems like Ive found the problem . Seems the game doesn't like the G29 wheel being plugged into the USB port ( even though the wheel is switched off at the socket ) while using a 360 controller ( I prefer controller for F1 games as I tried F12016 with the wheel and was absolutely shocking with it so I prefer to use my wheel for more sedate driving like Euro Truck ) . F12016 didnt mind the wheel being in the USB port as far as Im aware but it seems that with this game it causes it to glitch out . I tried experimenting with the wheel on this game and the wheels wouldnt turn even with steering saturation set high ( not having much luck with this game so far :O_o: ) so I'm going to actually go back to what I peformed best with on F12016 and that's my Steam Controller . Hope it works as well as it did for that with this game . At least I guess I'll persevere with the game now rather than refund it .

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%