PC2 Game changing info

Edit: There has been some tweaks/changes in the past few patches so please use the temps listed in the link below for each class as recommended by Casey.

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?57541-Project-CARS-2-Tyre-Temps

So the game has been out now for a few weeks and I have had the joys of listening to the raving reviews and the hatred towards it, peoples opinions and complete opposite spectrums in regards to the game of what they were feeling....shitty, physics, bad ffb, track grips vary too much and same with the cars etc. etc.

I'll be honest, I've had moments of brilliance, followed by many WTF is wrong with the ffb and physics. I can't feel crap, mushy or any detail and usually quit to go screw with my ffb settings.

Today I was browsing through there forum looking for the magical cure to bring out the potential I've felt a few times when I came across a thread named "Tire Temps" that had 1 response with a link.
That link containedwhat I felt was the magical cure and transformed my meh rating to holy **** this game is way more sophisticated than I ever gave it credit, and completely changed the entire ffb and physics and threw the many WTF moments right out the window.

Here's the link, the important part is a few responses down by F1racer64 who linked Pirellis, Michelin and Hankook racing tire info containing what tires to run during certain temps, optimal temps as well as suggested chamber. I can't remember if the in-game tire brands are officially sponsored or based off them? but they were damn spot on!!

I choose the Audi R8 at Long Beach a track I've had issues with grip and feel, followed the info and headed out on the track. It started out the typical slippery no feel I'd come accustomed too, then with each lap I started getting more and more feedback and response from the ffb and the car, when I finally hit the optimal temp for that tire I was left grinning from ear to ear for nearly 2 hrs just lapping.

Here's the Link for those who want to read it
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/car-behavior-and-tire-temps-after-patch-2-0.361962/

For the lazy :) ill post the tire brand info here and give you a quick run down which was a quick copy & paste from F1racer

EDIT: Youll have to dl the tire info from the link as its too large for this form?
My tips:
I always thought green was the optimal temp colour for your tires and brakes....its actually a yellowy green you want.
Soft compounds are for cooler temp races
Hard compounds for hotter

The goal should be to achieve 32 PSI in every track condition. This means your cool (ambient) temp pressures set in tuning setup need to be HIGHER than your warm (ambient) temp pressures. Remember that the pressure being set in the tuning setup is your COLD pressure, whereas the target is 32 PSI (2.2 BAR) at HOT pressure state. Cooler ambient temps means less heat generated, so the starting pressure needs to be higher to begin with (closer to 32PSI).

Using the above guidelines, I have achieved consistent 150F - 175F temps in all conditions. Note that Pirelli states that "Racing tires work best at high temperatures (122° - 176° Fahrenheit)". In my testing, this has been exactly correct and has been where I have found the most grip.

For me, it completely changed how I looked at the game, the tire model and having to manage them while planning your strategy for the changing track conditions and weather has added so many aspects to my sim racing that I have not been able to experience to date in any title other than RF2.
Personally, I feel the live track 3.0 is even more advanced with the pooling water, snow, mud, ice and debris brought on track features.

I have a few questions for @Ian Bell if the info above is correct, why the hell didn't you use this info to highlight the tire model in your pre launch promos or pinned in your forums? :)

As a suggestion would it not be beneficial to raise the stock tunes PSI a few clicks so that the tires reach there optimal operating temps slightly quicker so it can highlight how good the game feels rather than struggling for several laps with lackluster ffb and response from the car.
The avg racer is never gonna figure it out and instantly give up or bash the game for poor physics and ffb. Once that tire starts reaching its optimal temps its feels amazing :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Cheers
David

Last edited:
@Andy Jackson:

Cheers for being willing to experiment a little and sharing your findings. :thumbsup:

If the T500 RS is as strong as you suggest, you *may* be able to get away with the RAW preset with your TM CP overall gain at 100, in-game 100 and Volume to whatever. My guess is that it would be the most fun with the non-aero cars, though (as otherwise the variations in Fy/lateral force may drown out the finer contact patch Mz details).

Worth thinking about if you ever get bored and just feel like tinkering. :D
I'll tinker Ermo. No problem. My eldest son has a T300 and I have tested it too. My T500 is far stronger on the FFB scale. After testing side by side, I'd say 65-70 in the TM gain is about the same as 100 in the T300 gain. I'll keep on testing the various settings though. :thumbsup:

I'll tinker Ermo. No problem. My eldest son has a T300 and I have tested it too. My T500 is far stronger on the FFB scale. After testing side by side, I'd say 65-70 in the TM gain is about the same as 100 in the T300 gain. I'll keep on testing the various settings though. :thumbsup:

One of things that I keep hearing people say in relation to pC2 is just how much getting the FFB 'just so' matters to their enjoyment of the driving experience and how well they can 'feel'/'connect with' the cars they're driving.

I've never tried a T500, so I don't know how it feels and how it is different to my lowly G27. I do however know that my G27 only works well for my taste in a fairly narrow range. What is your experience between the T300 and the T500 in this regard? Is there a sort of 'golden range' that you keep returning to for each wheel?

And can you feel a difference between cold/warm rubber? green/rubbered-in track?

So I've been trying to get my tires at the correct pressure (1.8 bar for GT3 cars), and in qualifying it hasn't been an issue. I've been qualifying top 3 to 5. In qualifying it takes a lap or two to get to the correct temps, but when the race starts and I'm using the exact same setup...the tire pressure starts over 2 bar and I have no grip. The time of day and temperature on track is the exact same for both sessions so that shouldn't make my tire pressures so much hotter. Am I missing something that when the race starts I need to change something?

So I've been trying to get my tires at the correct pressure (1.8 bar for GT3 cars), and in qualifying it hasn't been an issue. I've been qualifying top 3 to 5. In qualifying it takes a lap or two to get to the correct temps, but when the race starts and I'm using the exact same setup...the tire pressure starts over 2 bar and I have no grip. The time of day and temperature on track is the exact same for both sessions so that shouldn't make my tire pressures so much hotter. Am I missing something that when the race starts I need to change something?

For the race it has tire blankets on so your tires start much warmer than in practice/qualifying.

I did not know that. Thank you

I find it rather annoying because as you've seen you do all your practice and setup under certain conditions but then you start the race under completely new conditions which may screw your setup. Plus, not many racing series use tire warmers yet they're applied to every car in the game whether we want them or not.

I find it rather annoying because as you've seen you do all your practice and setup under certain conditions but then you start the race under completely new conditions which may screw your setup. Plus, not many racing series use tire warmers yet they're applied to every car in the game whether we want them or not.

If you were to reword that into a feature request following the principle of least surprise, what would said feature request sound like? :)

If you were to reword that into a feature request following the principle of least surprise, what would said feature request sound like? :)

It would be a nice feature to allow us to select which sessions tire warmers are used in as well as having the option to disable them altogether. Perhaps a checkbox for each session to allow/disallow tire warmers for that session. :)

@Kurupt CDN Thank you for starting this thread. I was genuinly struggeling to get the Porsche Cayman GT4 around Redbull ring without falling off the track with understeer, oversteer, nosteer, rearwheel spins and lockups, It was incredibly frustrating as even while crawling around was almost undrivable with default settings.
Now, with this info it is another story altogether, thank you!

Awesome info @Kurupt CDN, really makes you think more about tire pressures in the setup. The first racing I ever did IRL was autocross. We couldn't afford fancy pyrometers to check on tire temps across the tires so we used shoe polish and drew a few stripes across the tire to see how much it was rolling over, and where the contact was. Gave us enough info to make adjustments to compensate, especially since we ran rain or shine in Michigan from early Spring to late Fall, we saw every temp in the book. One of my biggest complaints while racing R3E here last year was that it only gave one temp per tire, not O_M_I so you could see why a tire was running hot or cold.

sorry for my bad english but i dont understand the tyre pressure tip. before i start the race i do have to put 32psi on each tyre to start the race?

No....you want 32psi to be your heated temp after 2-3 laps of warming them up.
26-27 psi is usually a safe start.

So many variables with the changing track conditions so you basically have to run a few practice laps and see where your tire temps land and adjust from there.

I have got to say I am really enjoying Pcars 2 since this info was forthcoming. I didn't think I would ever enjoy it but I really do. It is very much better than Pcars 1 in most areas. The sim feels full of life and atmosphere which is lacking in certain others. I am looking forward to further fixes to the AI though. :thumbsup:
3v6OMDg.png

The game needs some dialing in, but that is what you need to do with every game nowadays if you want to get the best out of the experience. My hunch is that a lot of people that are justifyingly skeptical of project cars after PC1, don't want to spend too much time getting used to the game, wish is a darn shame.

If you manage to get accustomed with it, it really is the most complete and most immersive all rounder in the sim racing genre IMO.

If you manage to get accustomed with it, it really is the most complete and most immersive all rounder in the sim racing genre IMO.
This ^^^^^
It's growing on me all the time. Really enjoying it. The more I play it, the better it gets. Yes there are a few little fixes that still need ironing out but it is getting there.
4LlgpAb.jpg

PATQNak.jpg

u1yfwxI.jpg

Vbl2Cta.jpg

Last edited:
Have they improved the AI? I just tend to find i'm really enjoying the racing & then i get shunted at some point hard that ruins the race. There doesn't seem a way to turn the aggression down a bit, i would be playing it 24/7 otherwise.
According to Mr Bell they will be improving the AI over the next few patches. On going work. I hope they keep to their word this time. :thumbsup:

I have been doing some racing at Brno, early morning in June with these beautiful cars and the Nissan is my favourite. They sound lovely and they are brilliant to drive. This sim grows on me the more I play it.
With the tyre temps set and the FFB just as I like it this is sublime.
z8eGFIb.jpg

EAFDvMT.jpg

9fhp8J6.jpg

JayXEcf.jpg

nazIlZg.jpg

E3nL6Y9.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back