F1 2012 G27 vs DFGT: Advice needed

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)

Chris

Premium
Hey guys I am just looking for some advice on a new wheel.

I am currently using the Thrustmaster GT Ferrari Experience, (not the best wheel, i know, but i bought it just to get started, as it was cheap and has a good button layout) and it's starting to break down, the gear shifters have lost their *click*, and the wheel alignment pulls the car slightly to the left when it's held straight.

I'm tossing up between the Logitech G27 and the Driving Force GT.
I currently have enough money for the DFGT, but i was wondering if it is worth it to save for longer and get the G27.

I really just want a good quality wheel for when Assetto Corsa comes out.

I know that they both have their pros and cons (albeit the DFGT has far more cons relative to the G27):
Like i've heard that the paddle shifters on the DFGT are too small and hard to reach, and the foot pedals dont look too great.
However, the G27 looks amazing quality, with great pedals and shifters. However, the G27 is almost double in price. Here in Australia, the G27 retails for about $310-$330, while the DFGT costs about $120.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I'd also recommend the DFGT, very solid and well priced item. I have mine for nearly 2 years too and no issues whatsoever. The only downside I found is the loud Force Feedback.

I started with the same thrustmaster wheel as the OP but due to a lack of shops selling anything other I've moved onto the Thrustmaster F430 wheel. Much better then the cheaper one and I found many reviews where it compares well to the DFGT.

Which ever wheel you go for make sure it has enough buttons to be setup the way you want it.

DFGT is great wheel but the pedals are cr*p. I play with DFGT but I use Fanatec pedals. I have to mention that for 1.5 years I've replace two wheels under warranty because left shift button broke. It stopped clicking and started downshifting twice or three times. If you can wait go for G27.

Thanks for the advice guys.
I've looked at several reviews of both wheels, but I thought I'd make my decision based more on the experience people have had with them over a longer period of time.

Cheers guys!
G27 it is!

Hey guys I am just looking for some advice on a new wheel.

I am currently using the Thrustmaster GT Ferrari Experience, (not the best wheel, i know, but i bought it just to get started, as it was cheap and has a good button layout) and it's starting to break down, the gear shifters have lost their *click*, and the wheel alignment pulls the car slightly to the left when it's held straight.

I'm tossing up between the Logitech G27 and the Driving Force GT.
I currently have enough money for the DFGT, but i was wondering if it is worth it to save for longer and get the G27.

I really just want a good quality wheel for when Assetto Corsa comes out.

I know that they both have their pros and cons (albeit the DFGT has far more cons relative to the G27):
Like i've heard that the paddle shifters on the DFGT are too small and hard to reach, and the foot pedals dont look too great.
However, the G27 looks amazing quality, with great pedals and shifters. However, the G27 is almost double in price. Here in Australia, the G27 retails for about $310-$330, while the DFGT costs about $120.

Any advice would be appreciated.

It depends on you. You'll be happy with either in my opinion. Victor said he's broke 2 wheels already. I have a G27, it came with 2 years warranty and I had to replace it once due to pedal issue. Which brings me to the idea that it's not that reliable. Around an year after I bought it - boom. Brake pedal was always on. Which on F1 2011 it hurt my times a lot, but on F1 2012 it'd be simply impossible to play.

I'd say. Take a look at both. Read some reviews, etc. You'll know what you want after that. The G27 is an AWESOME wheel. Believe me. Just driving with it and not an old wheel with 2 springs for centering force took my laptimes a lot down.

Only disadvantage that the G27 has IMO is that i has only 6 buttons on the steering wheel. To change fuel - you need to drive with 1 hand. It's not that problematic to do it, but it does make your life easier when it's all on the wheel.

Oh and my cousin bought a DFGT and he says his brake pedal is a LOT softer than mine. I'm yet to try it, but believe me, it's better to have a strong brake pedal. I use 20% saturation tho, but if it's too weak, you can't do anything about it. If it's too strong - you can.

Cheers Kristian.
The main debate for me really is the DFGT pedals vs the price of the G27.

The pedals on the DFGT don't look great quality, but the price of the G27 is just so much. Tbh I really surprised that it hasn't devalued overtime too much. I guess racing wheels aren't too big of a niche so they don't need to keep producing successors. Mind you, everything in Australia is expensive, so I'm not surprised its still $330 rrp.

If the pedals on the DFGT were a tad better, then I'd buy it in a heart beat. But at the same time, with the wheel I have now; there's no way the pedals could be any worse than what I've got ATM.

If you ask me, it's all down to getting used to. Before getting my DFGT I used a Wingman Formula Force GP and THAT thing had a soft brake pedal. I was used to it though (didn't have a choice :p), so I didn't even notice it.
Then I got the DFGT and I felt that the brake pedal was really stiff. At first I wasn't even able to brake properly, cause I simply didn't push the pedal deep enough. It's ok now. It might not be as stiff as in my real car (and I drive a Citroen Xantia, which has a particularly stiff brake pedal because of the hydropneumatic installation), but I don't have any problems with "under-" or "overbraking".
If you've never played on a G27, then I'm pretty sure you won't feel the "softness" of those pedals - in fact, you might be surprised by how stiff they are compared to your current ones :)

If you ask me, it's all down to getting used to. Before getting my DFGT I used a Wingman Formula Force GP and THAT thing had a soft brake pedal. I was used to it though (didn't have a choice :p), so I didn't even notice it.
Then I got the DFGT and I felt that the brake pedal was really stiff. At first I wasn't even able to brake properly, cause I simply didn't push the pedal deep enough. It's ok now. It might not be as stiff as in my real car (and I drive a Citroen Xantia, which has a particularly stiff brake pedal because of the hydropneumatic installation), but I don't have any problems with "under-" or "overbraking".
If you've never played on a G27, then I'm pretty sure you won't feel the "softness" of those pedals - in fact, you might be surprised by how stiff they are compared to your current ones :)

I agree. I still have problems with the brake pedal. 2 years later still don't push it to max for some reason. But I do use only one leg, so one pedal - you have to be really gentle on it and the other you have to jump (not literally) on it. So maybe that's the problem. But I can't use my left leg. :( :D

Hey guys, I've just ordered my G27, and it should be here within 2 weeks, I just had a question about setup.

Can you set profiles for the wheel for each game? So that you don't have to change the profiler every time you change games?

So like, can I make an "F1 2012" profile, so that when I enable it, it automatically has all my optimum settings dialed in?

Cheers!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years