• "Slow and steady finishes the race. Fast and steady wins the race." - Sean Rogers.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G27 - Power always on ?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Marc Reid, May 8, 2013.

1. Marc Reid

Marc Reid
    Premium

Ratings:
    +14
    Just want to know if its ok if i leave my wheel powered on all the time ?,
    My pc never switches off and my wheel is always plugin and powered on. Is this ok .

2. Tume

Tume
    The unlucky Finn

Ratings:
    +332
    Your PC never switches off?

3. Marc Reid

Marc Reid
    Premium

Ratings:
    +14
    Well, would not say never, there are times when i clean dust etc, but lets say on average 2-3 weeks at a time. My point is it safe for my wheel to be on all this time, or do u think i should unplug (power), when im not using it.........

4. Peter

Peter
    who cares Premium

Ratings:
    +667
    Un-plugging is cheaper.

5. Marc Reid

Marc Reid
    Premium

Ratings:
    +14
    ok thx, im still new to this wheel as just acquired it, and wasn't sure about settings, calibration etc, been lost and such, when powered off....but think i take your advice :thumbsup:

6. Jim Cole

Jim Cole
    Premium

Ratings:
    +122
    Unplugging it might save you a little cash on the electric bill, but not enough to worry about. As for leaving the wheel plugged in, I have left my DFP plugged in for about 2 years or so and never had an issue.

7. Senad Subasic

Senad Subasic

Ratings:
    +1,901
    The G27 needs a power on/off button...
    The worst thing is turning off your computer at 3 AM, and forgetting the wheel was still plugged in, and it starts its calibration thing. It could raise the dead at 3 AM.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes

Ratings:
    +1,818
    I have my G27 power lead plugged into a mains plug with an on / off switch, like most electrical plugs. (It's actually a power board with separate on/off switches for each connection).
    So, I simply switch off the power using that switch, very simple. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Marc Reid

Marc Reid
    Premium

Ratings:
    +14
    Mine is plugged into an adapter as it is 2pin, but i can pull the ext lead out the power supply connected to the wheel i suppose as well.....
    Do u guys pull out the usb cable also ?. If i unplug the power but leave the usb cable in, my led's still light up.

10. Gareth Wood

Gareth Wood

Ratings:
    +13
    Couldnt you just put it on a timer to switch off automatically before bed and come back on in the morning - or what ever time you want? £5 for a socket timer.

11. Marc Reid

Marc Reid
    Premium

Ratings:
    +14
    yea i will do that soon as warren said, but what about the cable in plug into the pc, does that need to come out to ?

12. Gareth Wood

Gareth Wood

Ratings:
    +13
    Nah... other than it doing the calibration test in the middle of the night, i wouldnt worry about it personally.

13. Marc Reid

Marc Reid
    Premium

Ratings:
    +14
    ok thx for the info :thumbsup:

14. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes

Ratings:
    +1,818
    I always leave the USB cable plugged in.