1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

G25 pedals - How can I remove a rounded off allen screw?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Tariq Gamil, Jun 11, 2012.

  1. Hi all. Unfortunately and regretably, I have damaged the head of one of the allen screws holding the pedal plate to the pedal assembly for my brake pedal. I was using a star key before, not allen, to remove the screw and it seems over time, it has damaged the head of the screw so now its quite round. I've tried using an allen key but it keeps slipping so now I'm really stuck :(. I don't really care for the screw as I know its messed up but I just want to be able to remove the screw so that I can take the pedal plate off and take the shell off so I can access the pots. So can anyone recommend the best, and safest, method to removing a rounded off allen screw? I've already tried using a rubber band over the screw and tried to undo the screw but its stuck on pretty tight so it won't turn at all. Thanks.

    I would like to mention actually, its not completely round since when I turn in the head gently using a star or allen key, I can still feel a little bit of the grooves.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I have experienced this before on a set of pre-used pedals that I bought. I used a small flat bladed screwdriver. You want one where the blade is a tight fit and gently hammer it in. Press down on the screwdriver as hard as you can when you turn it. If it's a screwdriver that you're not worried about then you may find it easier to use a set of water pump pliers on the handle. This will make it much easier to turn.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. If you can find a round tip that is small enough, you can use a dremel tool to cut a flat groove in the allen screw too
    • Like Like x 1
  4. There are tools available that are use in the automotive industry as well as other types of industry to remove screws in this type of situation. The tool you are looking for is called an easy out, or screw extracting tool. Normally you would need to drill a hole in the screw or bolt you wanted to remove, but with an allen head screw, the hole is basically already there.

    The tool http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_extractor, which are usually fairly inexpensive for the small sizes that you would require. I would highly recommend the straight fluted over the spiral type any day.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Do you have super glue? Super glue your allen wrench into the existing rounded allen screw. Since you have some shape still to the allen screw, it may work
    • Like Like x 1