G25 h pattern issue

Hey guys

My old G25 has stood me in amazing stead

But recently while playing Dirt Rally it has started jumping out of 4th and sometimes second gear. No others, so bottom of the gaiter.

Not a huge problem to be honest as I can simply drive one handed and hold the gear in place.

It only happens rarely and you just bung it in harder and it goes in, almost like the real thing. But the fact it is not every time means it catches you out!!

Is there any sort of self repair you can do to them? Bit of WD! Grease etc? Is it a sensor or switch that might be a little worn praps?

Youtube video where watch?v=eCyt_4luwF0 is the code for the video that you put at the end of the youtube link after a /. It improves shifter feel by reducing freeplay, making you use more force to move the shifter into the gate notches through increasing the preload on the shifter detent spring.

If the shifter is going into the gear slot and the game then kicks it out of gear for no reason, then it's time to recalibrate. If you've recalibrated and still have the problem, then the above mod will definitely fix it.

Upvote 0
For Gods sake, that would be and awesome giude if you didnt ahve to bloody buy stuff to make it better.

Just took the sodding thing apart to find I need to buy an o ring and a spacer.

What a total waste of time

Upvote 0
For Gods sake, that would be and awesome giude if you didnt ahve to bloody buy stuff to make it better.

Just took the sodding thing apart to find I need to buy an o ring and a spacer.

What a total waste of time
So the guide's at fault, because you fired before checking it all?

Upvote 0
I just cut a convenient scrap for the spacer. The o-ring is a nicety, not a necessity... know someone with braces who has a supply of those tiny rubberbands?

Upvote 0
OK a mistake on my part.

But it would have been a little easier if someone, or the description mentioned the fact that it is pointless doing all that strip down unless you have the parts to make the changes or improvements.

I thought it was tweaks you could make to the existing mechanism, or a sort of show and tell of what might be broken or worn out.

Was a complete bugger to put back together again as mine was covered in grease (good thing).

Upvote 0
Wow what a seemingly ungrateful person, I don't suppose VIEWING THE VIDEO FIRST appeared to you as a common sense move, and as was stated , the o-ring isn't necessary, I didn't use one, and I made the spacer out of a bit of steel tubing i had lying around, but almost anything would have done.
Good luck getting any help in the future pal with that attitude, it certainly will not come from me.

Upvote 0
Would you be grateful if you put your gear selector back together again and it didn't work AT ALL. My h pattern or sequential now do not work whatsoever. Obviously that might be my fault.

Simply put, there are some tricky aspects to this and now my shifter does not work at all, so please if anyone reads this be warned, you need to use parts here that are not mentioned elsewhere and rebuilding is quite tricky.

And seriously man, for a supposed quick fix like a RLOD type video would you watch it all first? get real.

Upvote 0
for a supposed quick fix like a RLOD type video would you watch it all first?
Definitely. Especially before taking apart equipment I'm not even confident of disassembling/reassembling properly. I did the same tweaks to mine, but watched all the disassembly videos and read multiple threads before picking up a screwdriver.

"Measure twice, cut once" is a saying to be taken seriously.

P.S.: Oh, and I come from a technical background, electronics and mechanics were parts of my studies.

Upvote 0
I guess I have a level of confidence after doing things like this for years to simply get on with it.

I did find out something but still not sure what, perhaps one of the pots on the birdcage surrounding the shifter was wrong, or maybe one of the connectors on the PCB was pressed in wrong as after a further disassembly the shifter now works.

Be careful doing this peeps, it is not as simple as it might sound or look, the ball bearing and cage placing back in is very tricky as unlike the video, your version will probably be covered in grease as mine was, and that makes it very tricky to put it in place.

And be warned, to make an improvement you will need to source a small o ring and a shaft of small pipe.

Upvote 0
It doesn't tell you what you need I think until you get to fitting it. So unless you watch it all through first you are not going to see an improvement unless you have these parts, and it will also make putting it back together tricky as the spring will be more loaded, the hardest part of reassembly.

Sorry, but I think it's a little misleading. Helpful yes if you have a problem, but I have done these things numerous times before and on the other one about fitting some foam in the gaiter area the guy gives you all you need in first few seconds!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing