Site Founder
Staff
Premium
[Confused mode on]

I need to let this off.
  • RACE 06: one season with the Alfa Romeo 156
  • RACE 07: one season with the BMW E90
  • STCC: **confused**
Let me explain my confused-mode. First of all i am in love with the handling of the BMW in the game. Love the RWD way of steering or better oversteering very much and i would love to drive that car 24/7.

But the frustrating part is that after more then 1 year of not even touching a FWD car i just had to test out all the newcomers in the STCC and you know what: I am still 0.5 seconds a lap faster then in a FWD car then in a beemer. With the beemer i have to tweak the setup to my needs to get it running properly. With a FWD you just step in the car, press the start button, wave at the fans and fire away to poleposition..

Its driving me crazy tonight. Love the beemer, but pole positions are nice as well :wave:

[/Confused mode off]

I used to only drive FWD WTCC cars and did pretty well, at that time I couldn't get two laps out of the E90. Now I'm a solid mid fielder to even near the podies. But, almost every time I give a FWD WTCC car a spin I kill the E90 lap times in a cople of laps... C30 is very nice... Chev WTCC is damned fast too... I just don't know which car to drive either. E90 always feels nicer, but the FWD's just stay on track better and faster and more pushable...

• Sai Yip

nothing out brakes the E90 tho :peace: at least in WTCC, not enuf experience with racing the STCC's yet...

the brakes are amazing! running out of final corner of falkenberg, racing along side with your opponent down the front straight and out brakes him at T1, always works!

• Mikkow

Speaking of BMW/Mercedes instability when there's a racing incident: I tried the rally way of countersteering and modulating throttle and all that, but it doesn't seem to work so well with these racing slicks and the way the cars are set up. What did seem to work really well is to hit the clutch and countersteer. Yep, free rolling wheels, just like those FWD cars, does do marvels on regaining grip. For use in any situation where oversteer is about to screw you over.

i've been doing some car testing with both FWD and RWD

I was having some practise sections on Falkenberg, and I happened to clock the C30, A4, E90 6 Speed Sequential, C200 all in the 44.4 - 44.5 range......fairly equal I must say....in terms of HOTLAP

I enjoy to drive the RWD more but in a race it's best to run FWD.....much more forgiving when other drivers just dive into your rear quarter panel during cornering......It's ashame that the RWD have so much disadvantages in both stability and position attacking/defending...

SAi, was good to have a race last night if you can remember. To be honest this is what happened. I joined the server and picked VolvoC30 just to be sure that these are faster. I saw you on a Bimmer (Rob Prange :peace:) and was extremely fast. Quit the lobby and joined with the Bimmer only to be slower than the Volvo but only by 0.5sec.

Here is my observation. STCC will not be dominated by only FWD in every track. The street track layout is a RWD territory. Anyone agree? Disagree?

• Sai Yip

SAi, was good to have a race last night if you can remember. To be honest this is what happened. I joined the server and picked VolvoC30 just to be sure that these are faster. I saw you on a Bimmer (Rob Prange :peace:) and was extremely fast. Quit the lobby and joined with the Bimmer only to be slower than the Volvo but only by 0.5sec.

Here is my observation. STCC will not be dominated by only FWD in every track. The street track layout is a RWD territory. Anyone agree? Disagree?

it was a great race last night and i had enjoyed every moment of it!

as you said, the bimmer might find itself abit slower than the FWD in some cases, in your case i assume you tested the bimmer on falkenberg, being 0.5sec slower......keep in mind that it is a 44 - 45 sec track. 0.5sec could be equivalent to 1 - 1.5sec slower per lap on the bigger WTCC tracks.....it is quite significant in my eyes.

I have repeatedly seen drivers with RWD cars qualifying at the front and got spun out by FWD on the 1st turn races after races, while the FWD just floors the pedal to the metal and straightens out.

it's very discouraging when you had fought all day for that pole position and get spun out on the first few turns by the FWD.

RWDs dominated until this year.... with the diesel (yak!) Leons.

Priaulx's (he's British not French!) BMW had won the title 3 years in a row before this year. Usually challenged by Jorg Muller in... a BMW.

This year with the diesels it's two SEATs duking it out.

However, BMWs haven't done really well in the BTCC since the early 90's. Mind, they haven't had a factory team since '96 either. The title has been won by a FWD since '97. It's been 90% FWD fields though...

• Jay Wong

Great race last night!!

I was driving the Benz.

J

it happened again today, marcel vd aa can confirm! 60 minutes of beemer training at Valer! One lap with the Seat and have a PB! Getting sick of it :). Gonna close this forum and go play chess/archery (kidding atti :)) or something. Was nice knowing you all :)

I'm with u on that one mate, the bm is so fragile on braking whereas the FWD cars u slam on the brakes and bang bang bang down the gears and she stops.... RWD takes a lot of feel and hard graft. I'm glad i'm not the only 1 that finds FWD alot faster!

While the FWD cars are fun, they ruin my driving habits for real cars :)

Seriously though, if I drive a FWD for any length of time, then try to drive a RWD, I slide all over the track and loose my rear end.

With the FWD, you can slam on the gas pedal with no penalty....even in the middle of a curve!

That's a very very bad habit to have :wink2:

I will stick with the RWD.

Yes. FWD cars are very forgiving, but they can be very tricky to squeeze the last tenths from, because it's harder to notice where you lose time, just because the car is so forgiving.
With an RWD, I find it easier to feel where it's better to slow down than to slam the gas pedal.

FWDs are capable of driving OVER the edge, which makes you slower.
RWDs usually end up in a wall after going over the edge, which makes you think about not going too fast into corners :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back