F1 2017 Fuel consumption on 100% race distance

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)
Loving the game so far but I have a question with regards to the fuel consumption.

I was supposed to do my first 100% career race last night on a Ferrari using the standard mixture and started with only half a litre of extra fuel, I have noticed that every lap I lost bit of extra fuel and unless I use lean mixture I will ran out of fuel before the race ends. The problem with this is I will be a bit slower and also how about when you need to use rich mixture to attack? I will not have enough fuel left by the end of the race.

Is this also the case with you guys? I know that you can lift the throttle and coast to save fuel but I’m still getting used to it and will be massively slower. In F1 2016 I can use standard mixture for the duration of race while pushing and can use the rich mode to attack for a couple of laps but can’t seem to do it in this game. Can you put how many fuel you need before the race? Can’t seem to find it.

I have yet passed the fuel consumption test.

There does seem to be something wrong with the fuel consumption, and for the most part, doing the usual fuel saving techniques doesn't seem to be worth it at all. Compared to 2016, shortshifting really screws up your power delivery and slows you down massively, while lifting and coasting make you much too slow. I can deal with it, but it's not nice, especially as there doesn't seem to be an upgrade for the fuel consumption in career mode this time around.

Not having problems with this.

Did my first career race yesterday with the Haas.
Strategies are based on the practice programs I believe, so make sure to do those.
I was actually suggested a 1 stop strategy for Melbourne. That's because I take care of the tires.
Started with -2.5 litres and managed to get that positive quite quickly. Only used learn for that for 1 or 2 laps when I was close to another car without being close enough to overtake. Even on "my attack mode" in the race managed to save enough fuel to run rich in last couple of laps.
Didn't make the 1 stop though. Broke my front wing on a spin and there were 2 SC. Eventful race.
Finished 8th but dropped to 14th due to 6 sec penalties, and the SC only leaving track for last couple of laps.. Had a 10 second gap before SC :(

Not having problems with this.

Did my first career race yesterday with the Haas.
Strategies are based on the practice programs I believe, so make sure to do those.
I was actually suggested a 1 stop strategy for Melbourne. That's because I take care of the tires.
Started with -2.5 litres and managed to get that positive quite quickly. Only used learn for that for 1 or 2 laps when I was close to another car without being close enough to overtake. Even on "my attack mode" in the race managed to save enough fuel to run rich in last couple of laps.
Didn't make the 1 stop though. Broke my front wing on a spin and there were 2 SC. Eventful race.
Finished 8th but dropped to 14th due to 6 sec penalties, and the SC only leaving track for last couple of laps.. Had a 10 second gap before SC :(
Pace and difficulty? I've easily got the wear to do a 1-stop as well, and in fact the ultrasofts are almost useless for me right now, but it sounds like you're slowing yourself down too much by saving that much fuel.

No I'm not.

If you follow F1 they usually under fuel and have to manage during the race. People can't expect to be full pace for the entire race.
if this is how they do things in real life then so be it then, probably need to lower the AI a little bit so that I could be a bit competitive. I did try last night racing in single race mode and it is also the same with regards to the fuel.

if this is how they do things in real life then so be it then, probably need to lower the AI a little bit so that I could be a bit competitive. I did try last night racing in single race mode and it is also the same with regards to the fuel.
Having just done Australia on 110% last night, for the most part you don't need to be overkill with it. Shortshifting alone (including being easy on the downshifts when braking) is easily enough to match the intended fuel consumption for most of the race, and given that Australia's one of the most fuel-demanding tracks in the CM F1 games, it ought to be plenty enough on most tracks as well. The guy you're replying to definitely sounds like he's too slow or running overly easy AIs.

Having just done Australia on 110% last night, for the most part you don't need to be overkill with it. Shortshifting alone (including being easy on the downshifts when braking) is easily enough to match the intended fuel consumption for most of the race, and given that Australia's one of the most fuel-demanding tracks in the CM F1 games, it ought to be plenty enough on most tracks as well. The guy you're replying to definitely sounds like he's too slow or running overly easy AIs.

thanks for the tip I'll try it tonight.

thanks for the tip I'll try it tonight.
If you haven't done the fuel saving and race strategy tests yet, do them if you can (if you're doing career mode). The former's good at showing you where you can save in general without making yourself too slow, while the latter's good for tracking exactly how much you'd be using, and since it takes only 30 points there to get a perfect score, you can run that test exactly as you would a normal race. If you can, run the latter with more than one compound - I've found, for instance, in Australia, that the ultrasofts were very good for my fuel consumption, yet also barely any faster than the supersofts, which were much more balanced overall and thus my preferred choice for the starting compound.

My main annoyance in Australia was that I seemed to be losing fuel in some places almost entirely because the AI was excruciatingly slow in those sections. The fast 11&12 chicane between sectors 2 and 3, the exit of turn 4 and even turn 1 are all places where I constantly dropped 0.01-0.02 because the AI would just take them far too slowly. It definitely looks like, just in 2016, the fuel consumption seems to be relative to what the game expects of you (and thus generates the AI off of) rather than actually being legitimate, so be wary of that.

What I and two of my friends have also found is that lifting and coasting are borderline useless. Try them if you can, but they should mostly just make you slower.

So you say you did the same as me but still somehow I'm doing it wrong?? mmkay :rolleyes:

So you say you did the same as me but still somehow I'm doing it wrong?? mmkay :rolleyes:
If you're lifting and coasting, you're doing it wrong, yes. And on ultrasofts, which I ran for the majority of the race, I did not need to shortshift. So yes, you are doing it wrong in every way. Bonus points for the fact that I tested two races, one with overfueling and one with underfueling, and the overfueling attempt was faster.

Not only is doing so necessary in order to stay on the road at any reasonable speed in these cars in the first place, but you will also fail the fuel consumption test if you only do this. All it shows is that the fuel consumption test, like you, promotes slowness.
Sorry Mr right. I promise I won't promote slowness again.
More bonus points for you. You can upgrade that snob unit of yours with all this points.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back