AC Friendly Event: Mazda MX5 Cup @ Brands Hatch GP - Fri 14/07/17

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
ac-jpg.194509

Brands Hatch GP
The full Grand Prix Circuit begins on the Brabham Straight, an off-camber, slightly curved stretch, before plunging into the right-hander at Paddock Hill Bend. Despite the difficulty of the curve, due to the straight that precedes it, it is one of the track's few overtaking spots. The next corner, Druids, is a hairpin bend, negotiated after an uphill braking zone at Hailwood Hill. The track then curves around the south bank spectator area into the downhill, off-camber Graham Hill Bend, and another, slightly bent stretch at the Cooper Straight, which runs parallel to the pit lane. After the straight, the circuit climbs uphill though the decreasing-radius Surtees turn, before moving onto the back straight where the track's top speeds can be reached. The most significant elevation changes on the circuit occur here at Pilgrim's Drop and Hawthorn Hill, which leads into Hawthorn Bend. The track then loops around the woodland with a series of mid-speed corners, most notably the dip at Westfield and Dingle Dell and the blind Sheene curve. From there the track then emerges from the left hand Stirlings Bend onto the short straight to Clearways and rejoins the Indy Circuit for Clark Curve with its uphill off-camber approach to the pit straight and the start/finish line.

Wait? What is this?

For this event you need absolutely nothing special. A copy of Assetto Corsa, keyboard, console controller, or steering wheel it's all fine. Today we are going to focus on getting you on the online track (for the first time) and giving you a great experience and making you a better driver.

Make sure to be on time for the extended practice session and have teamspeak installed and be with us for the full length of the event. This is the longest session of almost an hour to get familiar with the car and the track. That's right, you don't need to practice offline first. You can come by fully unprepared

After practice we skip to qualification to decide the racing order and do a short fun race of only 30 minutes so everybody can return to their wives, girlfriends, mom in time.

Who can join?
All premium members using their REAL NAME in the forum, servers and teamspeak

can sign up for this event and a maximum of two servers available for this event.
Sign up below and make sure to tag fellow community members who you think are up for a challenge!

Not a premium member yet but interested to race with our group of friendly drivers? Click here for more information and learn how you can participate as well.

Server and Teamspeak Password: click here (TEAMSPEAK IS MANDATORY)
Teamspeak Installation Guide: click here
(Handy guide to setup teamspeak)
Tracks, Cars, Apps Installation Guide: click here (Handy guide to install non AC content)
Racing Club Rules: click here
Incident Reporting: click here

Server Name:

• RACEDEPARTMENT.COM EU MX Cup #8 (server 1 entry list) ACTIVE
  • RACEDEPARTMENT.COM EU MX Cup #9 (server 2 entry list)10 or more drivers required to run a second server
Cars: Mazda MX5 cup (Japanese Car Pack)
Track:
Brands Hatch GP (3908m) (24) - Dream Pack #3

Fixed Setup:
Default (with adjustable tire pressure and fuel )
Driving Assists: Factory ABS, Factory TC
Jump Start: = teleport to pits
App: Helicorsa 0.6 Download
App: ACRL Fuel 1.2 Download
Assetto Corsa Car Setup Directory

Practice: 19:00 GMT (30 minutes)*
Qualifying: 19:30 GMT (30 minutes)
Race: 20:00 GMT (30 minutes)

*Note that daylight savings are active. 19:00 GMT = 20:00 BST = 21:00 CEST.
#MightyMazdaParty

Entry List Server 1

1. Rupe Wilson (Ask me anything in teamspeak)
  2. Simon Hodge
  3. BrianUK
  4. Ross McGregor
  5. Delkim2003
  6. Neilski
  7. Brewer
  8. 6times7
  9. Andy Dixey
  10. hape
  11. m_mirk
  12. Lars Rystedt
  13. QWASZX
  14. BigPoppa_C
  15. Eddy_J1
  16. Kris Migut
  17. Jintonix
  18. Denis Betty
  19. Nuno Rodrigues
  20. thefernan_8
  21. Colin Herkes
  22. Allan Ramsbottom
  23. Nickl561
  24. Bobby Pennington
UTP #63RW

Reserves
  1. Bidule
  2. Daniel Nieto
  3. Leprekaun
A message to all Drivers

if you run off track, you have to check to see that its clear before you re enter the track, Do not just keep the gas pinned and pull back on track.
on re entering the track stay off the racing line until you are up to race speed and do not block any fast approaching car, you have made the mistake by going off remember, so let them by cleanly
Last week we had a number of drivers doing this.. do not do it or i will get my big stick out, you have been warned.

Last edited:
For anyone wondering how much it matters to shift at the right revs in the MX5 Cup, I've (finally!) satisfied my own curiousity on the subject :thumbsup:
See attached graph, which is a bit busy but has the basic info to answer the question. (Btw, yeah, I shifted a bit too early from 2nd to 3rd for the "redline" run but it only made a ~20cm difference.) You can see that the optimum run's early upshift to 5th loses speed momentarily (during the shift) but then the speed recovers quickly and is almost equal to the speed for the redline run when that run hits 5th gear; the redline run then loses a chunk of speed for the shift and spends the rest of the straight gradually losing ground. NB: most important line on the graph is the thick blue one ;)
tl;dr: it only really matters for the 4th-5th upshift, which can gain you upwards of 3 metres if you spend 15+ seconds in 5th.
Next I'm gonna tackle the TT Cup, for which I suspect it'll matter more. The TT also has the fun question of "when should I hit P2P for most gain?" to address - I might have a go at that too.
upload_2017-7-8_21-53-52.png

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 85 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 61 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 67 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.1%
  • < 5 years