Free Content, Future Development and Stefano Casillo Interview (Part 2)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Interview Free Content.jpg

We spoke at length with Stefano Casillo of Kunos Simulazioni about Assetto Corsa, some new free content incoming and all things racing...

The Sim Racing Expo was a wonderful opportunity for sim racers, developers, hardware manufacturers and the media to get together to celebrate the wonderful hobby we call sim racing. Thanks to the great access and atmosphere of the event we had the opportunity to chat with one of the key figures behind Assetto Corsa, Stefano Casillo, and he was more than happy to give us an insight into the behind the scenes workings at Kunos, plus revealing some exciting new free content coming to Assetto Corsa in the near future.

You can check out the interview below:

Originally planned as part of a standard paid DLC, Kunos scheduled the highly anticipated laser scanned version of Laguna Seca to release alongside a pack of new performance road cars for the simulation. Unfortunately due to unforeseen circumstances the launch of Laguna hit one or two delays against the original schedule, slipping to much further in the calendar year that was the intention when the announcement was first hinted at several months ago.

In something of a generous gesture from Kunos, the popular Italian developers have decided to release both circuit and accompanying cars to the base game for free, bringing with it a very popular drivers circuit and six new cars to the title.

The confirmed free bonus pack DLC will contain:
  • Laguna Seca Circuit
  • Alfa Rome Giulia QV
  • Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale
  • Lamborghini Sesto Elemento
  • Lamborghini Huracan Performante
  • Maserati Quattroporte
  • Pagani Huayra BC
No exact release date has been confirmed by Kunos, however it is expected that players will be in receipt of the new content before the end of 2017.

If you missed it earlier, don't forget to check out our previous interview with Stefano where we talk about the new update and Ferrari Celebration DLC.

Assetto Corsa is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC now.

Assetto Corsa and online racing = Love! Check out our brilliant Assetto Corsa League and Club racing forum for great racing events suitable for all skills and experiences. We host regular events using popular content and guarantee a great time for all. Additionally we have a very active sub forum for the game where players can catch up on the latest news and engage with fellow community members here at RD. You can download mods from our modding archive, discuss W.I.P projects in our Modding Discussion Forum and try out a selection of car setups for a wide range of vehicles. Come on, get yourself involved in the action today!

Happy to see more free content coming to Assetto Corsa? Which car most grabs your attention from the list above? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I just watched 2min of the video and I'm already thinking.. Why are you asking "what can we change to allow you to do what you want" for ppl who makes mods instead of HIRING THIS PEOPPLE so you can release more content and reduce the waiting...

Maserati still selling the Quattroporte? Never imagined this would be the Maserati to be in the game next. Not complaining about free content, just surprised.
Good to see the Performante in there.
It was said in the early days of AC release that the game will be supported to 2018. Did they mean including 2018 or until 2018? I forgot. There was also a mention of the Toyota GT1. Is that still coming or should I forget about it?
Hate driving i the rain. I wouldn't mind if it's not in AC2. Not at all.

Still hard to believe only 30 people make this game!

It was said in the early days of AC release that the game will be supported to 2018. Did they mean including 2018 or until 2018? I forgot.

Kunos never mentioned anything like that. The community took the copyright date of the game and assumed the game would be supported indefinitely. Kunos has maintained that they would work on the game as long as it makes sense for them to, I believe.

There was also a mention of the Toyota GT1.

No official mention of this car ever from Kunos. So you might be mistaken if you thought Kunos mentioned it.

A mod group was working on this car years ago however, and actually just released it a few days ago. Check the AC downloads section here at RD.

Does anyone want to answer this? Staying nice and polite, of course.

you can do it man, I take no offense hahah.
maybe because my english sucks it sounded like a -thingsAreThatSimple- perspective. or maybe i belong to AC's fb page..
would be nice if their job with modders is steam workshop.. draggin files to ac folder and say no to WinRar everytime when a mod crash after AC update is a hard task when u are using a wireless keyboard with touchpad..
I wonder if Cortana can do this
hahaha..

you can do it man, I take no offense hahah.
maybe because my english sucks it sounded like a -thingsAreThatSimple- perspective. or maybe i belong to AC's fb page..
would be nice if their job with modders is steam workshop.. draggin files to ac folder and say no to WinRar everytime when a mod crash after AC update is a hard task when u are using a wireless keyboard with touchpad..
I wonder if Cortana can do this
hahaha..

Well i think the point @Chobonator tried to make is if Kunos hires them then they would have to pay them so why would they do that if they're creating mods for free? lol .....well at least most of them.

There are way too many modders for AC, i think the workshop would be a mess. Plus you have all the people doing rips (which i don't really mind) but wouldn't be allowed on the workshop. I personally like it the way it is.

I really wouldn't want Workshop integration. It seems nice on paper, but the way it works in rF2 is terrible in my opinion, for my needs. The reason is, I thought Workshop is great to save HDD space. But no, all the .rfcmp files are stored in the steamapps/workshop/... directory. And if you delete them, your mods are gone, automatically deleted from the sim. So instead of storing the mods in an external drive, you now have them on the game install drive, occupying space. This would be also terrible for those who have it on an SSD. Especially with the gazillion mods you can install for AC :D

Regarding the free pack, it's really nice from them. I also get the impression the free pack will be the last pack for AC1, and now they work to increase the longevity of the sim via modders, coding stuff for them. As someone who bought AC in the first day of early access, I am a bit sentimental about this, but on the other hand, as Stefano said, the competition is getting tougher and they have to give an answer to that. I am looking forward to that answer very much :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back