FR Junior usage?

Okay, I'm just getting ready to dive into RaceRoom -- I've been solely focused on iRacing since around 2009, and I want to branch out a bit, and R3E caught my attention.

I'm a big fan of the Skip Barber in iRacing, and it looks like the Formula Raceroom Junior (FRJR?) is EXACTLY the kind of thing I've been looking for.

The question I have is this: Are there many folks who use the FR Junior, and are there any competitions based on the FR Junior? If not, what else should I be looking at? I like open wheelers, but complex setup details get annoying in the long run -- I ran the Star Mazda in iRacing for a few seasons, but gravitated back to the Spec Racer Ford and the Skip Barber because the racing is close, and the setup details don't become a distraction.

Any advice or input for an R3E beginner would be appreciated!

Well, given that the main focus is touring cars, I would hope that with the upcoming plans for expansion of the multiplayer mode to include player rankings, a license system and scheduled races in official online championships, there would be some plans for a "trainer"-type series, and to that end, the FR Jr. seems like an ideal "trainer" (much like how the Skip is pretty much THE "trainer" series for iRacing).

Now, that said, aside from the FR Jr., what's the next-best "trainer"-type thing going on with R3E -- that is, where do most of the newbies migrate to in order to get their feet wet and learn the necessary racecraft? Or where do the old guys go for more laid-back racing, for example? I'm a big fan of the slower "momentum" cars in iRacing -- the MX-5, the Solstice, the Spec Racer Ford, the Skippy, the Jetta, etc., so that's the kind of thing I'd be looking for here.

The Jetta and the Solstice, in particular, have been my favorite "tin-tops" in iRacing, so I'd hope to find something along those lines here -- and, if it's a spec series with little or no setup options, to make for a nice, level playing field, that would be a bonus.

Prior to iRacing, I raced in a GPL league for a few years, and after that I did a bit of racing at Race2Play in GT Legends and "Power and Glory" mod leagues, so the older GT cars are also appealing. To that end, the Touring Classics pack or the Legends Experience pack look like no-brainers (primarily for the BMW M3 E30, for example), but are there any other packages, cars, or series that I should be considering?

Any help/advice for someone new to R3E would be greatly appreciated!

NSU TT's are great fun and make for good racing. The Touring Classics and DTM92 cars are still on old physics.
In modern terms the Audi TT cars are very good.
One of the best things about R3E is you can test drive any car before you buy, you can try it over and over.
With only the free content you can enjoy cars (Silhouettes, Aquila) with the latest physics and 4 tracks with 12 variations between them.
Finally, when you do decide to buy make sure to checkout this thread for the best way to get content.

Good info there on purchases Kenny -- thanks for the link! I'm probably going to go all-in and buy all the content at once, just to support S3 Studios in their efforts. I really think that their plans to for adding player rankings, a license system and scheduled races in official online championships is HUGE. The sim racing community needs something like this that can serve as direct competition to iRacing, which is the only show in town if you want that level of organization. If my purchase can help S3 Studios achieve that goal, I'm more than happy to make the investment! :)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 86 30.2%
  • More leagues

Votes: 58 20.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 61 21.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 36 12.6%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 18 6.3%