Fps problems

Hi there!

i'm having a problem with fps, when i went to the track (especially in offline races, i haven't tried online) the fps sudendly drop, i'm able to run the game at 30 fps but after a while they drop to around 18 if i pause the game
for a while they return to 30 but after sometime they drop again, after playing for some time this happens more frequently. I've tried to reduce the graphics quality and i defraged the drive where rfactor is installed but the problems continue. Wht can i do to try to solve this problem?

Thank you, Rui F. Martins

PS:if i have to reinstall the game, what folders should i save in order to save my player information, setups and distance driven in cars?

If u have a nvida card, right click in the desktop and to to nvida or graphic settings then go to global settings then when u start rfactor open task manger and make sure rfactor is on high proiroty then before that right click on the shortcut of rfactor go to settings and disable desk top comsailde or something like

Since I have done that it has boosted my fps massively

If u have a nvida card, right click in the desktop and to to nvida or graphic settings then go to global settings then when u start rfactor open task manger and make sure rfactor is on high proiroty then before that right click on the shortcut of rfactor go to settings and disable desk top comsailde or something like

Since I have done that it has boosted my fps massively

Nice tip :) By the way, it's 'Disable Desktop Composition'.

i've put rfactor on high priority and i've changed nvidia card settings from quality to performance and it increased my fps, i has able to hit 60 fps once, but now they are ussualy at 40, but the problem mantains, after a while they drop to 18~22 fps. I think i will try to reinstall rfactor since it appears to me to have some minor bugs that are creating some annoying problems. Do you guys know what folders i havo to save in order to keep player info, setups, distance driven and all those things?

Thank you for your help:thumbsup:

if you have a cpu thats dual core or better then add "+fullproc" on the end of target on the properties of the desktop icon, rfactor doesnt default at trying to use all cores but using this makes is use more cores improving the performance quite a lot.
(must open the game from the desktop icon for this change to work)
LR2r

Are we talk rf 1 or rf 2 ?
i get 20 in fps when i do rf2 nothing more to do then lower settings to get higher fps i must do to get fps over 60.

In rf 1 i get from 150-350 fps with same pc so wierd that rf2 get me so low fps
I like drive with all settings max but that not work in rf2 for me buhuu.. :(

I have a post off rfatctor tweaks here take a look if you find something that maybe works .
http://tripp.team-forum.net/t17-rfactor-tweaks

Have you tried online races?

You mention offline only. All of the above is great advice and usually helps people.

I would now suggest that you try an offline race but set your opponents to just 1 or 2. The FPS or lag issue understandably sets us all thinking its a graphics only issue - what I have found is that the load created by not only rendering the AI cars but in calculating the physics for them can cause lag or FPS problems. Trying it with minimum opponents might just solve the problem, then you can increase opponents until you find the level where they cause problems. Also if it is the problem you will probably find that you will be perfectly ok online as your processor doesn't have to work out the AI, just draw the other Real drivers.

If you find lag or FPS issues online (and know your Internet Connection is good) then reducing the number of visible vehicles can help - but bear in mind you may not see cars if you lower it too much.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

You haven't said what type of computer your using/specifications.
I'm going to take a guess and say your using a laptop/netbook which means you've run out of performance. Only option is to either buy a new laptop, or modify the GEN, SCN and CAM files to increase fps.

tell me what mod/track your trying to use, and i'll try amd make an example of what I'm talking about.

The changes will make it look ugly, but it will run a bit better.

Mango

i'm using a laptop. Today i tried to put a fan, that is usualy used to cool the house, near the pc pointing at it and it felt cooler and i tried a offline race with 24 oponents and i didn't had any problem, could this mean that my pc isn't able to use his fans at full power and the game with normal fps at the same time?

thank you everobody for the advices :)

rfactor's very simple graphics means that pretty much any pc can get stupidly high fps like 300+ FPS so unless the game is very jittery and unsmooth then that number you are seeing is probably correct since 60fps is enough for an absolutely perfectly smooth video, you should set v-sync to on in the rfactor configuration program, this is a feature normally used for stopping tearing in the image (half of the screen refreshing more slowly than the rest) but it also limits the FPS to 60 so that as well as fixing tearing it will also make your graphics card use less power since it will need to work much less to still give you a smooth image.

rfactor's very simple graphics means that pretty much any pc can get stupidly high fps like 300+ FPS so unless the game is very jittery and unsmooth then that number you are seeing is probably correct since 60fps is enough for an absolutely perfectly smooth video, you should set v-sync to on in the rfactor configuration program, this is a feature normally used for stopping tearing in the image (half of the screen refreshing more slowly than the rest) but it also limits the FPS to 60 so that as well as fixing tearing it will also make your graphics card use less power since it will need to work much less to still give you a smooth image.
ah, thank you.should be interesting to see the fps for rfactor 2.
i don't know about tearing...the picture looks great and seems to run well? if anything, the edges are a little sharp but only minor criticism.

ah, thank you.should be interesting to see the fps for rfactor 2.
i don't know about tearing...the picture looks great and seems to run well? if anything, the edges are a little sharp but only minor criticism.

Hi, Andrew.

If you install FRAPS you'll see that rFactor's in-game FPS matches the numbers given by FRAPS.

If you max out all graphics settings you'll notice (if you haven't already) that these are not "very simple graphics" but rather good - not GT5 standard, but still good nonetheless. rFactor has a DX9 graphics engine, continually worked on since 2005 up to v1.255 in late 2007. So, a good machine by today's standards should be able to run it maxxed out at very high FPS.

As for VSYNC, my advice to you is to avoid it (really, turn it off). It has been known to cause, regardless of game engine, problems with controller input - namely the infamous input lag.

If you use a combination of AA and AF, you should be able to get rid of any graphical anomalies.

Some people report some hiccups with isiMotor2 based racing sims. Many of us have capped the frames through rFactor or via the gfx driver - this should provide a good, fluid experience, without risking input lag.

My 2 cents.

I recommend vsync on if your computer can hold a steady 60fps at all times because it rids you of that disgusting tearing. Vsync only causes input lag if the fps drops below 60, in rfactor this is crippling but will never happen if your pc can constantly output 60 fps.

Also, I've noticed a lot of nvidia's drivers lately have not used 3D mode correctly many times. I therefore recommend you use the program NV Powermizer Manager to force your card to run full 3D speed at all times. It won't actually cause much more heat or power usage increase -- those are based on load, not on clock, and this way you'll never have to wonder "Hmmm is my game performance utter crap right now because my stupid video card isn't running at full speed?" Last 4 NVIDIA drivers for me and wife render everything randomly slow and broken without NV Powermizer Manager fix (GTX 480s).

Powermizer - the official link is down, here's a mirror (Virustotal it if you're scared, and you ought to be scared of any random file offered on a forum):

Explanation of problem (his solution is overly complex though):

http://www.overclock.net/t/964370/howto-dual-monitor-downclocking-fix-for-nvidia-cards

Vsync only causes input lag if the fps drops below 60

Not true.

As long as FPS are EXACTLY 60 FPS, input lag is reduced. Any value above or under 60 FPS will contribute to increasing input lag.

One more thing: maintaining a constant 60 FPS is not easy, the system does not have to content with graphics only. Physics (tires, chassis and aerodynamics) and especially collision physics demand a lot processing power; on top of that, the game engine adds complex graphics and sounds, so whenever you increase the number of cars in a grid you will increase the likelihood of getting FPS fluctuations. You cannot guarantee a constant 60 fps throughout an entire race - even if it fails once, input lag increases and will probably result in the driver failing a pass or a corner or avoidance of a collision.

In regards to input lag, it is a very complex issue. There is more than one contributing factor to input lag: monitor (display lag), hardware such as a mouse or wheels&pedals unable to produce sufficient reports per second (Leo Bodnar's hardware for instance, IIRC, can produce more than 750 reports per second), gpu architecture, gfx drivers, game design/code and vsync, etc.

Using VSYNC will increase the likelihood (some say the "inevitability") of getting more input lag.

There is a good report/article on input lag (and VSYNC) on anandtech that I recommend to you:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years