FPS limiter?

I get good, 100+fps performance on track in Race 07, but in the menus, my frame rate flies up into the thousands. When it does, my monitor makes a weird squeaking noise which makes me worry that it's doing some sort of damage.

Is there a way to forcefully stop it from going above say... 200fps?

Do you have V-Sync enabled? It should cap the framerate to your monitors refresh rate.

I doubt the whine is doing any damage though. A quick search shows that it is fairly common. I get it myself at certain times, such as when my monitor displays a large image containing many close horizontal lines (forum background). It's been a year and no damage so far.

I have noticed those same high frame rates when not in the game. This just began happening to me. I updated my video driver and subsequently had to get rid of Rivatuner, reload the nvidia control panel and sent hours looking for a fan control that I liked to replace what riva did. I too have VSync on but the totally ridiculous fps still show.

If you have good fps, try to enable VSYNC. But that's strange because it doesn't matter how many fps do you have. Your lcd works on different fps/Hz. Try to check on which Hz does your lcd run.

It's a 60hz LCD monitor, so vsync gives me 60FPS. But the reason I want more than 60 is something I read and tried during my iRacing free trial. In iRacing, I started by playing with 60~ FPS, but some people on the forums said you were better off with about 100, even if your monitor couldn't show it. Just because of the effect it had on how the game handled your controller inputs. So I turned my settings down until I got about 150 FPS, and my lap times improved by about a second. That's quite a significant improvement for me.

I assumed the same thing would be the case in other games, although I'm not entirely sure why. It may well be an engine specific thing. And the extremely high frame rates in menus was never a problem, as iRacing's interface outside each race session was just their website.

And the reason I feared it would be doing damage is I've seen games programmers talk about extremely high frame rates causing some anomalous behavior in some graphics cards. In fact, if I remember rightly, a few weeks ago, Wolfire added a frame rate limiter to Overgrowth for exactly that reason.

Well, VSYNC can be a problem in some games but it's always a matter of trying if your mouse/wheel works fine. I don't use it because my framerate isn't constantly high in Race. But in older games I use it automaticaly, usually everything works fine and PC is much cooler and more silent.

Your framerate affecting your ability to pace a good lap is very strange. Your framerate should have nothing to do with anything other than how things appear to you on your system, not anywhere else. I know how lower frame rates can affect things due to lag between what you see and input, but at 50+ FPS, things should be perfectly smooth and so your actions should be sync'd to the games positioning etc.

If having extremely high frame rates is required for perfect performance, then the programmers who wrote that game have made a mistake somewhere and that is the "fix" for it. The only thing that should be required to get the best performance is to have smooth display of graphics and that can be achieved with as little as 30 to 40 FPS.

the high pitched noise is probably not your monitor, try turning it off to see if it is still there. It's normally the PSU or GPU that squeals at these mega-high frame rates. I think you can cap frame rates in the plr file, that might stop it from hitting 1000 fps.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 130 13.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 67 6.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 137 13.9%