FPS drop after new triple screen setup

ARG1980

Copenhagen APEX
Hi there

I just went from one 144hz screen to a triple setup. The three screens are all alike.

I am having problem with the frames dropping to about 30-40, but its not always. Sometimes when i start the game i am running 144 fps, with the same car and track. Nothing is different with the applications running in the background, or anything else. I think it is very strange and pretty fill up with trying out different solutions.

Yesterday I made a clean install and it worked fine, but then today I am back at 40.

I am running with a AMD Radeon 290x in eyefinity setup

Please help!

ps.
No issues in AC or iRacing

Br.
Allan

Are you suggesting that you tripled the resolution of your total screen size and did not change any other settings? Yes, you would/should get noticeably worse performance if your previous set-up was hovering right around 144. Use unlocked FPS to see what the real FPS was with one screen. If it was around 300, then you could triple the resolution and still hope to get 144 with the three screens. If it was 145 before, then not very likely you'l get 144 afterwards.

More info is needed to see if there is a problem or if your system is simply overtaxed at the old graphics quality settings.

Have you tried some troubleshooting.

Turn off the DynHUD feature in the main menu, Turn off record replay, Turn off the shadows. Any improvement noticed?

The issue could be 32bit memory limit, as you are now rendering a much larger scene (depends on what resolution you are using).

Take note of your CPU load, do you hit 100% during the slow downs.

EDIT: This idea is possibly "snake oil" but its harmless (I use it) and worth a shot. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-system-timer-tool-a-fix-for-stutter-in-games.785101/

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that you tripled the resolution of your total screen size and did not change any other settings? Yes, you would/should get noticeably worse performance if your previous set-up was hovering right around 144. Use unlocked FPS to see what the real FPS was with one screen. If it was around 300, then you could triple the resolution and still hope to get 144 with the three screens. If it was 145 before, then not very likely you'l get 144 afterwards.

More info is needed to see if there is a problem or if your system is simply overtaxed at the old graphics quality settings.

Well I am aware that the resolution is three times bigger, but as I said, it don't happen every time. I am running 85 fps in AC and 144 in I racing, every time. So it's a Automobilista problem, and for what I know then AC is more demanding graphic wise.

Well I am aware that the resolution is three times bigger, but as I said, it don't happen every time. I am running 85 fps in AC and 144 in I racing, every time. So it's a Automobilista problem, and for what I know then AC is more demanding graphic wise.
Have you tried some troubleshooting.

Turn off the DynHUD feature in the main menu, Turn off record replay, Turn off the shadows. Any improvement noticed?

The issue could be 32bit memory limit, as you are now rendering a much larger scene (depends on what resolution your are using).

Take note of your CPU load, do you hit 100% during the slow downs.

EDIT: This idea is possibly "snake oil" but its harmless (I use it) and worth a shot. http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/windows-system-timer-tool-a-fix-for-stutter-in-games.785101/

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Not sure if your 3 screens are still 144hz? I have noticed (with a way weaker system…) that I get much better results since I caped my frame rate. My screen is only 60hz so I caped at 59 and it stays stable. Before, I had fps getting high above 100 but sometimes getting much lower as low as 40 or below. It is much more even now. Maybe worth a try? Hope this helps…. and that you will get it sorted soon! :)

I am saying you need to do an internal comparison first. What FPS were you able to run with single screen? You don't know if you had it locked to 144. Use unlocked FPS (for the test and bacause the sim will run better and have less controller lag) and see what FPS you were really getting on single screen. High, low and typical. Then re-run with three screens without changing any quality settings. People here can tell you, if they know what CPU and GPU you are using, whether the drop after moving to three screens is typical or not.

Comparisons with other software are interesting, but not useful for figuring out if you have a problem or are experiencing normal performance for AMS.

If you could run consistently above 144 on a single screen, I would estimate that there is no possible way you could still run above 144 with triple the resolution and no other picture quality changes unless the single screen FPS was in the 250 - 300 range. Others can weigh-in on that comparison--the only one that matters for you.

Try putting shadows from max to high, thats the biggest framerate eater in gMotor.
Good advice, however you sadly don't get shadows in the cockpit when not using shadows at Max (unless something changed).

Another way to increase FPS without noticing (or barely noticing) a difference in image quality is to do the following:
- Lower Anisotropic Filtering from 16x to 8x (don't use 4x as you can really tell the IQ difference)
- Lower Circuit Detail from Max to High
- Disable Shadow Blur

Enjoy your almost-free framerate increase :)

P.S. I'm using a triple 1440p setup (7680*1440) if anyone's curious.

I noticed the Caterham models from cockpit view my gpu load is 100% and FPS drop here and there, and its the only car that does that. So when i drive it i have to turn player model to "low" (high, medium does nothing). It works but is annoying that only 1 car out of tons of cars does this.

Just saying this as i also run triples and was about to say to limit the FPS. But i have had solid 60FPS always until i bought the brit pack and jumped into the Caterhams. The rest of the Brit pack cars have no problems. I guess the Caterhams have either much larger textures + high poly models (or some other issue that raise gpu load so much). All other cars keep gpu load for me at around 40-50% (980GTX 4GB). So if you notice a drop with it know you're not alone.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.0%