FOV?

Anyone got some good guide on how to get the right FOV in R3E? And I don't mean "I use x and it feels great", I mean a way to calculate what setting to use based on the size and aspect ration of my screen + distance from my eyes.

Ok very interesting. So by play with your seat position you mean up and down? Or also back? But when I go back again, what sense does an FOV make then? I thought setting the FOV is the seat position?

Ok now after watching this video I get it. Things outside the car look closer but the cockpit can stay the same distance?

Ok I see I have a lot to learn to find a good position.

Last edited:
FOV is useful to get a better perception of the virtual world, a too low or high FOV gives you a distorted perspective of the surroundings.
For example in a racing game with a too high FOV I have big problems to judge the distances.

This is easier to understand with a first person shooter, in a room with square tiles on the floor: you should see them as squares, not as rhombus.

Many years ago I had the opportunity to visit Imola, to walk on the track, so in my case I use Imola as comparison between the real and virtual world, and I adjust the FOV and the seat position to get the same feelings that I had that time.
For me the laser scan version of Imola included with Assetto Corsa was a revelation, in fact it changed dramatically how I adjust these settings. ;)

Of course when you finally know you favourite FOV setting [in my case something between 50/54 vertical FOV value (0.9x in RRRE) with a single monitor] it's easier to apply it to different games and find the correct seat position (fore, aft, up & down).

Last edited:
Really very interesting stuff. Just to show the difference, I made 2 screenshots in Assetto Corsa. One with the FOV (54) that I played with for 4-5 months now. And then a screenshot with the recommended FOV (39) and adjusted seat position for my setup. The mirrors are almost on the same position now.

I uploaded this because I searched the web for FOV comparison on racing games and was not able to find some. It is better to save those 2 screens to HDD and compare it with the windows imageviewer.

cs8t6sdn4279fl8eh.jpg

cs8t709sxe5bg39vt.jpg

Number 2 is way better, the one that I calculated with your FOV calculator. Things look very natural now. I mean the size of the stuff outside the cockpit view. Hard to describe.

But now I have to setup the cockpit of every car to the lowest possible position so I can see the half of the cockpit. It feels way better than the wrong FOV.

I improve my laptimes because I can see my braking points better. Just checking out the exos t125 in Monza.

With triple screen you need to edit the Xml file under /Raceroom Racing Experience/game/gamedata/cars/*car name*/camera/Cockpit_Driver_view_triple.xml
The value you want to edit is <fov type="float32">
Default is 40.000000

Depending on the car you are using because some car are very long and narrow with the cockpit view ( Dtm comes to mind )
Fiddle a bit with those view if you want a more "fish eye" or "rounded" view
Again i need to stress no value are not applicable to be the same for each car. What works for one car might not work with the next car.
For example Audi Quattro I like a value of 48.000000. Then in game i move the cam a bit , That way i can see both side mirrors on both left and right monitors.

Thanks! I use an single screen monitor. So what is Monitor including bezel and visible excluding bezel?
Dunno if you need to add "excluding bezel", don't think so, but it's the width of your monitor with and without the plastic borders on the sides, it makes a difference when you have more than one screen because iRacing needs to calculate away the border from the image rendered, but on one screen it doesn't.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 252 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%