1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOV Calculation

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by Mach, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Mach

Mach
    #47 G.R.Webb Sidecar Racer 1962-1972

New to Sim Racing and things like Field-of-View are now becoming important to me, so while at work(?!??) I have been doing a little research to help me understand how it can affect my experience and more importantly my driving.

You guys are probably familiar with Matt Orr 'AKA: Empty Box', I've been taking in the likes of his channel for a while now on my build up to building my PC and moving away from the console, which I still enjoy but with stuff like wheel rotation settings and set up parameters that actually work, I'm quickly finding out that there's much to it than just turning on and getting stuck in....Anyway Matt produced a video about a year ago on the subject of FOV and how important it is, not only for immersion but for improving your driving as getting your FOV right, is on the whole more natural. Here it is ,there are some points during the video, where you may need to pause and read, but as a Sim Noob, I found it really useful.

I also found a pretty intuitive FOV Calculator (Not tested yet...I'm at work) Obviously this shouldn't restrict your preference. Comfort plays a massive part if you play for hours like me...anyways I hope this helps..

Cheers to EmptyBox and MrPix

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mach

Mach
    #47 G.R.Webb Sidecar Racer 1962-1972

Okay I gave the FOV calculator a go....and I think it was a little optimistic...way too shallow. But I've knocked it back a bit, and I'm amazed what a difference it made...not only to the sense of depth and how, which is way better cause I feel I'm connected...but to how I now feel like I can be more accurate.

I have 32" TV and I sit 32" from it my FOV in R3E is now set 0.8 and adjust my seat so I can see the dash...feels really good. Now all I need is a better Wheel and Pedal Set..

• Like Like x 3