Forza Horizon

watched the EA and microsoft broadcast yesterday.
And I'm enthousiastic about Forza Horizon and NFS most wanted.
Horizon looks like a NFS hot pursuit to me from the trailer. Haven't watched the gameplay footage.
NFS most wanted is a revamp from the old most wanted although i hope it will be more than a revamp.
On both titles i'll be most likley checking the demo before buying them.
But they do look interesting.

Forza Horizon is indeed a NFS - hot pursuit + TDU2 meets Forza.
It will all revolve around showing of,arcade racing in a free world. Damage is only cosmetic.
Plus race events are divided up into races,drift,showcase events (beat an airplane when driving a mustang along a preset course). So definitly a 1on1 copy of hot pursuit by the looks of it. Also they'll get their own autolog into this game. Hmmm getting a little less enthousiastic after reading this more in depth test.

NFS most wanted is burnout Paradise. This was clearly shown in the gameplay footage that's available now. The roadnames are shown on top of the screen just as in paradise city. Further you got takedowns during races that have the exact showcase moment as in paradise city. Not exactly what I cwas hoping for. Still missing that underground2 vibe from the old days.

As it stands now.I'm less thrilled about these titles and will definitly first test the demo and then maybe buy them. I just fear that it will be a carbon copy of what we already have had in several games and that it will just feel like that. Thinking of NFS most wanted evolved into NFS Undercover and now evolved into a blend of burnout paradise meets the previous titles. For forza it's the same it just feel like Hot pursuit blended with TDU2 meets the car collection of forza.

The main reason some of the NFS titles are evolving into Burnout Paradise clones is all down to the developers - Criterion.

From what I remember EA get Criterion to release a game one year and Black Box the next, so we had NFS: Hot Pursuit (Criterion), NFS: The Run (Black Box) and now NFS:Most Wanted (Criterion).

Don't get me wrong, I loved Burnout Paradise, but it just seems that EA have signed up Criterion and got them to re-boot old NFS titles (first with NFS: Hot Pursuit and now with NFS: Most Wanted) and instead of getting anything 'new' we are getting old games with the Criterion signature put on them. Sometimes this is not a bad thing, but it would be nice to see new ideas being brought to the canvas/screen.

It's a bit like the movies (Spiderman) where a new director has started the character from scratch again (even though Sam Raimi had already given us 3 Spiderman films).

A few gameplay vids. It's looking an arcade game (no sweat for me) but a little more promising from what I had seen initially. Accepting the game for what it is, it has moved to the 'possible' list for me, lol.

A lot of the clips are all with the Viper, so will be nice to see more cars in use in the run up to the October release.

:thumbsup:

From looking at the FM forums, they say there are meant to be 65 different road surfaces to drive on. Unfortunately there seems that there won't be any tuning, although upgrades are pretty much confirmed. Alone, the fact there is an open world is a big plus in my books!

Regards the lack of tuning, Horizon is more an arcade action racer so doesn't really require the tuning aspect like in FM4 for the circuit racing.

My guess is the upgrades will just be cosmetic and won't affect the car and how it handles.

Day/Night cycle is definite but not sure quite how it will work as yet. I guess 'festival' races will all have preset start times. Would be cool if online lobby races allow host to choose start times. Also hope that lobby races allow point to point routes to be set, a la TDU, then racers go whichever way they see fit to get there the quickest, thus allowing for the open world Colorado to be made full use of.

I must admit after my early pessimism, from the E3 coverage I've seen I think Horizon will probably be added to my pile of XBOX titles (along with NFS: Most Wanted) as whilst they may not be sim oriented like FM4, they're a great pick up and play option to let off some steam.

Will continue to follow the progress of this (and NFSMW) over the coming months.

There are some more nice pics..... Source
horizon_%20e3_2012_art_6_74251.jpg
horizon_%20e3_2012_art_5_12444.jpg
horizon_%20e3_2012_art_3_75435.jpg
horizon_%20e3_2012_art_1_65316.jpg

Another wee snippet to add. It appears that the E3 demo clips that are doing the rounds have all the assists enabled and on the demo stands these couldn't be turned off. So hopefully the game will still have that FM4 feel (albeit in an action-racer kinda way), with the assists off.

:thumbsup:

after seeing this I definitely won't be buying this, I've spent the best part of 18 months working to get better at sim racing games.. including buying 2 wheels and countless hours.. I tried to play some burnout and NFS the run the other week and found it really hard to find it interesting and this game seems to be going the same way so I can't see me wanting it.

it does look good, but I've focused so much on realism in racing that I can't see me getting it, unless when you guys get it and scream 'it's just like Forza but on open roads!!!!'

That's a given Ryan. If you are wanting more of a sim experience then Horizon will not be for you. Neither will the upcoming NFS: Most Wanted or other games of that ilk like DIRT, Burnout, Motorstorm, NFS whatever or GRID etc.

Problem is with consoles, for anything like sim racing you have to look at FM4 or GT5, but even then IMO, they are still a fraction short of the racing sims that appear on PC.

Consoles offer a great variety of racers, many arcade oriented, but if you like the casual approach and the pick up and playability side of things, then they are spot on, but if like you who wants the more sim tilted approach they are ones to ignore.

They claim it will be 'just like Forza but on open roads' as it is supposed to be using the Forza engine, but whether the same feel comes across in the gameplay I very much doubt, as it will be tweaked to give it a more arcade feel, as I think this is the market they are aiming it at.

Yeah, I like to play a different game entirely to blow off steam! lol

UFC undisputed 3 and throw some bombs to people's faces, Or Ghost Recon Future soldier to shoot peoples faces!

I sound like im quite an aggressive person but im not! lol

I do prefer the Sim games, which is why I find F1 2011 so annoying, as I doubt its that easy to be good at! lol

I think F1 2011 is so annoying because its shite, lol.

At least this is what I glean from the feedback on some racing forums. I had F1 2010, but didn't get 2011 because I wasn't that impressed with the 2010 version, and now folks are saying they ain't getting 2012, because of how poor 2011 was, lol.

;)

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 90 19.2%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.1%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 47 10.0%