1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Formula Ford @ OldRing Park Formula Jr - Tuesday May 15th 2012

Discussion in 'RACE 07 Racing Club & Leagues' started by Yves Larose, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

Car: Formula Ford
    Track: OldRing Park (Formula Jr layout)
    Weather: Dry
    Games: Race 07

19:00 GMT: Practice
    19:30 GMT: Qualification
    19:50 GMT: Warmup
    20:00 GMT: Race (2x25 laps)

RD Club Rules: Click Here
    Penalties & Incident Reporting: Click Here
    Server and TeamSpeak Passwords: Click Here

We encourage all of our drivers to use Teamspeak 3 (download). Talking directly to your fellow drivers increases the fun and the ability to share information quickly and easily. It will improve your driving skills dramatically as well as your relationship with your fellow drivers.

When you have signed up for an event we expect you to be there. If for any reason you can not make it you can sign out up until one hour prior to the practice session. If you do not then you will be reported as a no-show.

If the event uses a two race format then you are expected to be present for both races. If you leave during or after the first race without prior notice then you will be reported as a no-show.

You can not sign up as a 'maybe'. We will not reserve grid places for people that might be there, we give them to people that will be there.

When qualification starts and not all places are taken, reserves can then enter the server.

To sign-up for this event simply leave a post in the thread below.
    1. Erik Bennett
    2. Marian Zelenka
    3. Alberto Casado
    4. Jeroen Zonneveld
    5. -
    6. -
    7. -
    8. -
    9. -
    10. -
    11. -
    12. -
    13. -
    14. -
    15. -
    16. -
    17. -
    18. -
    19. -
    20. -
    21. -
    22. -
    23. -
    24. -
    25. -
  2. Sign me up, hopefully we can get a lot of people back to these cars, they are fun and this track is perfect for them!
  3. Marian Zelenka

Marian Zelenka
    The downforce is strong with this one. Premium Member

4. Love these cars, nice track for them too, but I have a problem with my knee...hoping it will pass so I can sign up later.
  5. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

i have increase the lap count to 25, thanks for pointing that out to me as i don't always test the combo ;)
  6. MOAR PEOPLE! Please! These cars are super fun to drive and this track will bunch of the field and make good racing, tell everyone to join!
  7. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

Server is up!
  8. Sign me up please. :)

I hope more people show up. Last time it was only three of us.
  9. Marian Zelenka

Marian Zelenka

Looks like it will be more like practice than a race. I don't mind.
  10. Alberto Casado

Alberto Casado
    Premium Member

I'll join, but I barely practiced with these (and I've been running mainly f3000 lately, the fords feel now like driving on soapy water).
  11. Sorry guys, I will have to skip this one.:( Something came up.
  12. I'll join you guys, if such a late signup is ok with you.
  13. Alberto Casado

Alberto Casado
    Premium Member

All in all, quite entertaining considering we were only 4. The track is spot on for these cars.

Qualified 2nd.

R1, I had geared 1st quite long (for the race), but I had not tried a standing start to know really how long it was. I was glued to the ground, and Eric crashed into my back (obviously not his fault). I got immediately a suspension problem, but I could not feel anything weird, so I went on. Jeroen spun and gave me free way for 2nd. Then I spent many laps behind Marian, until I was so in his back that I spaced and missed my braking point after the finish straight. Slammed the brakes, and prayed he would have enough space to begin the turn. Not so, I touched him, and forgetting to engage the clutch, stalled my engine. Brilliant move that Jeroen used to retake 2nd from me.
    The rest of the race was a struggle to catch him (since during Q I had been slightly faster), but he found some speed somewhere, because he started lapping half a second faster than my best, and I could not get within one second of my best (maybe the rear suspension problem had finally developed, or the touch with Marian also affected front, I just could not lap as fast any more).

R2, I did not touch the gearing because I did not want to re-learn my downshifts on the fly, so I had another (this time expected) awful start. Erik passed me, but he was sliding a lot in the corners. I got a spike of lag that almost made me **** in my pants. After I could pass him safely, Jeroen was already 8 seconds in front and adding bit by bit. Marian was way behind, I don't know what problem he got, and Erik crashed. I kept lapping, but I botched a downshift and spun. Marian passed me and was waiting a bit to have some racing, but my concentration was gone and I lost a wheel on the same spot one lap after.

I think it was the closest lapping I had in RD. We had all quite close best times, and were repeating them over and over.

Congrats to Marian and Jeroen (I guess he won R2 because he had -1LAP when I left)
  14. Thanks guys, was fun.

I could only sign up late b/c of my knee, seeing if it would hold up through practise.

I joined 5min prior to Q and apparently I practised the wrong track layout, Park instead of Jr, which is a totally different thing with laps around 2:05.xxx - 2:07.xxx. So my setup was wrong for the track, too. I used it anyway, changed the gear ratios during Quali while learning the track. Q3.

Used warmup to learn the track some more. In the first race in the first few laps I made a mistake in the corner leading up to the chicane before start/finish, very lightly touched the guard rail and damaged my suspension. I decided it couldn't be very bad so I didn't pit in. This paid off, but I did have repeated problems because of it, in that same section entering the last chicane. When I got close to P1 (Marian) and started pushing it though that corner I went off a few times. Finished with +4 sec in 2nd place. gg Marian, congrats.

Second race, pulled away at the start in T1, when Erik in P1 went on the grass for a bit, and I finished 1st with a one lap lead on Marian in 2nd.

Shame we had a couple of DNFs because we were already with just the 4 of us.
    Diablo 3 has just been released so that might have had something to do with the turnup.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Marian Zelenka

Marian Zelenka

This little track is addictive and one could make a million laps in this formula ford on it. I'll try F3000 or formula master later. This track is too short that qualification with small amount of fuel doesn't look like a good idea because when you get good tire temps you run out of fuel. Good to know for the future. :)

I experienced the starting grid bug for the first time as I was moved to the third place just in front of Jeroen so the start was weird. I let Alberto to catch me for a few times, but we both made an error under braking into turn one. I wanted to let him pass when I saw I'm long on brakes so I moved to left a bit, but he had problems too and we touched. Then I was waiting for some moment to see if he could continue and then let Jeroen to catch me.

Because I saw that cars were lagging a bit I wanted to close my software firewall to see if it was a problem. But I forgot, so I switched to windows after the second start and turned it off. Then my race was about chasing. Looks like the lag dissapeared and cars weren't blinking anymore. I don't know if you experienced some lag too.

So, you use autoclutch off too @Alberto Casado ? I have a blast with SQ stick and blipping throtte pedal under downshifting. I was slower with autoclutch when I tried it. Looks like it interferes with my driving.

I'm thinking about setting up a server for testing purposes because I haven't done it yet. Maybe we could have some private race (read practice) in the future...
    • Like Like x 1
  16. It lagged here, too.

I enjoyed my practise on the Park (non Jr) version of this track. It's longer but for these cars, perfect. (2:05.954 hotlap).

Edit: you'd need more people on the grid though
  17. Alberto Casado

Alberto Casado
    Premium Member

I only got one lag spike at the start of each race (when everybody is the closest). On other cars it would have been a disaster, because I would have tried to avoid, but as I know that the FF just don't turn, I lifted and closed my eyes, all went well :D

@Marian Zelenka I started using autoclutch off with the FWD, because with it on the car was making weird stuff. (I still suck with them, though). I am shifting the same as before and I can not notice much difference in the FF.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.