Formula Force EX - 'Wheel Wobble'

Greetings all,

My main wheel (Thrustmaster FFBRW) has finally gone to peripheral heaven, so I've had to revert to my backup FFEX. Trouble is, I'm now getting 'wheel wobble' whenever I hit a straight.

By 'wobble' I mean that when the wheel is centred, the FFB will nudge it in one direction, then the other, then the other, then the other, etc, at roughly half-second intervals. The FFB strength on the FFEX may be pretty weak, but this 'wobbling' is more than enough to send you weaving around on every straight as well as ruin corner entry.

I have tried disabling FFB effects for vibration, engine and brakes but that did nothing. The only thing that stopped the wobbles was reducing steering force to 0%, effectively disabling FFB. Not very helpful. I've also tried switching controller profiles, trying the various Logitech and Thrustmaster setups as well as a couple I have downloaded. Didn't help.

Does anyone know what is causing this frustrating problem, and more importantly, how to fix it? I never had anything like this with my Thrustmaster... somewhat worrying since I'm currently trying to scrounge enough money together for a Logitech Driving Force GT. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Try to put deadzone to it! That'll probably solve the problem. Though I use 0% deadzone, and the default values for FFB from the G25 profile ingame for my FF EX. (FFB effects at max)
I only experienced this kind of problem with some mods, on very bumpy tracks (f.e. in the F1 cars at Bahrain)

Try to put deadzone to it!

Thank you. :) I set a 1% deadzone in the LGS, and its pretty much solved the problem. You can still feel a slight 'click' when the wheel is centred, but its not enough to push me off line anymore. I wonder why you are ok without a deadzone on the same wheel though? Strange. (I was getting the issue on all cars and tracks, both official and mods.)

On another note, as mentioned above I'm thinking of getting a DFGT if I can get the cash together. Just wondering what people think of it, particularly in the Race series as its currently the only car sim I play.

(PS: No 'get a G25' suggestions please. Don't have anywhere near enough money for that. :wink:)

Hi Goffik - I don't know about the DFGT, but I use a DFP (Digital Force Pro) and whilst I would love to upgrade to a G25, like you I have not enough money and too many things that have to take priority over my gaming ..... :-(.

I think the DFGT and DFP are very similar and I would recommend very highly the DFP, ok its no G25 with metal everything and leather, but for the money it leaves many other wheels out there in its dust. I particularly like the 900 degree rotation which a lot of wheels in this price range simply do not have...

I would recommend shopping around and waiting for a wheel to come up at the right price (new). I purchased mine from Amazon around a year ago when I found it on offer at £34.99 delivered. At that time 'Game' in the UK were selling the same wheel at £88, so shopping and waiting a few weeks can save. I pay attention to whats happening with prices on things I may be interested in - for example a couple of months ago I could have purchased G25's for £89 plus £6 delivery, - NEW .... This week I would be pushed to find a new one for less than £115 delivered and even second hand this week on Ebay your looking at around £95 to £130 - new £110 - £140.... I just wish I had bought a couple of hundred two months ago at £89.... Anyway thats the way it seems to vary with wheels.. the G27 killed the G25 market for a time but now its back as the G25's are less abundant... Sorry for the rant, just wanted to get the point over that its worth waiting sometimes for the right deal to come up...

Thanks for the input, Dave. :good:

It seems to me that the DFP and DFGT are indeed very similar. Looks like the GT is just a 'visual' upgrade more than anything else, as the specs are pretty much identical. I've been keeping my eye on DFGT prices for a while now, and retail seems to vary between around £80-£120. I've seen DFPs as low as £35, but they're usually out of stock (no wonder!). I have looked on EBay a few times, but found most of the prices to be rather high for what is essentially second-hand goods. Given the abuse wheels take, I'm not sure I want to purchase from a private party.

Anyway, my FFEX is working fine for the moment, so I'll keep my eye on the prices to see if I can pick up a bargain. Thanks again for the input. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.3%