rF2 Formula Ferrari 643 @ Silverstone - Mon 15th Dec

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
While I understand the cause for concern while overtaking lapped cars in the braking zones, I have had more success passing (and being passed by) cars in the heavier braking zones at the end of a long straight. When being lapped I brake at the same point as I usually do but just take the outside line through the turn allowing the lapper to have the inside line. It all comes down to whether or not you know or trust the guy your are passing/being passed by. I always found passing on the exit to be tricky because when I'm coming out of the turn, I'm hard on the gas and if someone slows too much to let me by, I would have to take evasive actions. I get it though, if someone doesn't brake in time, it could all end badly whereas there is less chance for chaos when doing it on the exit. If you find yourself lapping me in a race tho, I will allow you the inside line at the next heavy braking zone and fall back in behind on the exit, losing minimal time for both of us :)

It seems that we have stimulated a conversation which I guess is good as it may lead to more understanding.
The following is just my opinion.
I guess if you have a good understanding with someone you know and trust that's one thing and well and good and possibly unlikely that issues will occur. But we IMO have to have a general framework for the rest of the time.
Personally I would not like to be left the inside line in a braking zone and mid corner.
My reasoning is firstly that in braking zones and mid corner I've committed to a line and have little or no lattitude for manouvre. I personally don't want to encounter another car there who is not taking the racing line. Secondly I would normally in a lapping situation want to maximise my corner exit speed and keep as much speed differential as possible. The technique described denies me the optimal racing line so compromises mid corner speed and exit speed but suggests I still find the speed to manage a pass.
It also means I am side by side in a corner and squeezed for line. I'd rather be side by side on a straight with the abovementioned speed advantage and get the the slightest of lifts by the lappee.

So sorry to disagree but I feel that providing a pass mid corner is more risky

No need to apologize for disagreeing. We all have different views. I have over 1000 official races completed in my days of Sim racing and being a middle of the pack racer, I've experienced lapping and being lapped thousands of times. I don't see a problem braking for a hairpin from the inside line because you have to be slowed right down anyway and heavy braking zones are where I've found the most success. Chances are that if a guy is fast enough to get all the way around the track to lap me in a race, he is good enough to get by on a hairpin with no hassle. Im letting the lapper have the entire turn, braking hard enough to where they are already past me at the apex, leaving a free unblocked exit while I fall back in after they've completed the pass. It's really not that big of a deal. The heavy braking zones are some of the best places to overtake a car for position so why not when lapping as well? Only difference is that I wouldn't be forcing the issue through the turn, allowing the on pace guy all the room needed.

Agree with all those words about that burning "being lapped" subject ! I'll add another one: be aware everytime/everywhere that you can be lapped !
And for the slower guys, terrified by the fastest behind theim: don't throw your car off the track as the blue flag is appearing on your LCD, (above all with the F643), be cool and safe but on the track ! :thumbsup:

For me, the only criteria is to be predictable.

1. No sudden stops. Rather lift off a little bit - you don't even need to get off the racing line.
2. Don't suddenly turn in mid-corner when getting lapped, try to be sure the guy doing the lapping is safely past.
3. After being lapped, don't divebomb the guy ahead into the next corner if he's slower than you thought he might be. He probably won't be expecting you. Perhaps even keep a safe distance after being lapped, even if your pace is similar.

When I do the above, I find that people have more patience when I'm a backmarker.

Just did a few more laps in this car. Such a pleasure to drive.
While I was on the server 2 people entered drove a few laps and both said "amazing car".

I looked at the specs. Some big differences with the OWC 1992
Ferrari 643 vs OWC1992
HP 636 @16477 vs 740@14,332
Optimum Brake temps 400-650 vs 275-800
Centre of Gravity .225m vs .175m
Weight Dist 45/55 vs 46/54

Andrew if you mean lap time, we don't disclose lap times before Club events as its about the fun side and we don't want to discourage mid pack drivers or newer drivers from attending.
If you jump on the server you'll get an idea:)
I think it's too late for that David. All the talk about being lapped etc will have already done that.

I had put down a few laps and thought I had a good handle on the car. That was until someone else came in and blasted my time by about 5 seconds on the first lap. Just gonna have fun and get my feet wet with the open wheelers. These are so much fun, I just need some more seat time in them. I'm going to take it easy and try not to turn in on David on lap 1 :) I see why this car generates such interest tho. It's an uncaged animal.

I hurt myself while running in a slide with my 3,5 year old son LMAO, strained some muscles in my chest, or ripped off a few muscle fibres, they couldn't tell at the hospital but nothing seems broken even though it certainly hurts like if it is.
Longwinded way of saying "I'm out ><"

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back