Resource icon

Skins Formula Classic 1988 Skins, Performance, Reliability AMS 3.051

Login or Register an account to download this content
I will be updating my 91 mod next, which shouldn't take long.

But for other series, it's a good question. Yes it is definitely possible, I'm not sure how straightforward it would be. It has taken a massive amount of time, experimenting with each setting over the past few years, which was ok because the Classics are my favourite car.
If other series use different physics - engine/hdv settings - then the results may vary, from good to disastrous. So yes, it's certainly possible to do for any series, but might take time to perfect settings for each. Maybe I will try another series and see how easily it transfers.

if we ALL say pleaseeeeeeeee :) just kidding. exceptional job as always!

Thank you for your excellent work.

Just a question regarding the AI. I race on 100% AI, no assists. I select Alboreto's Ferrari and throughout practice I usually find myself .500 sec off the pace of Berger and around 9th - 11th fastest overall exchanging times with March/Leyton-House and Arrows. Come qualifying, I stick the qualifying tyres on, decrease the size of my brake ducts and proceed to match the McLaren's for pace. In the race I revert back to a more conservative approach and find myself exchanging fastest laps with the McLarens and on some circuits being outright faster than them.

Any idea as to why the AI's pace seems to be the same in practice and quali and then tails off in the race?

Last edited:
Yes,
there's a few things worth bearing in mind. All of the session times you describe depend on the individual track and how the AI have been set up (in the track AIW file), so they can be adjusted if you want.

First thing to know is: in practice sessions, AI will always do their first stint on LOW fuel, so that is usually when they do their best lap. So in practice sessions, always do a low fuel run (4 laps of fuel or less) to see how you truly compare with the AI.
***If you find you are too fast or too slow when on low fuel in a practice session, then go back to main menu and adjust the difficulty.
Once you have this right, it should then be reasonable for qualifying and race.

On to qualifying - here, it is important to know that the AI do not actually use qualifying tyres, they stick to the same tyres. So while you are going a second faster, their times don't improve as much.
So I always run my qualifying session on normal C compound tyres.
But you actually have two choices - either do what I do and stay on the C compound tyre, or go into the AIW file using notepad, and edit the line:
RaceQualRatio=(1.003)
If you increase this number it will speed up the AI in qualifying, which will match them up to your qualifying tyres.
So if you set it at something like (1.02) or maybe (1.03), you will then need your qualifying tyres to compete with them in Qualy. (you would have to mess with this number till it matched the AI with your laptimes).

If you do these two things, (and also, do the same number of pitstops AND FILL your tank each time AND always repair your car as the AI do), then you should find the race is also a good challenge.

Last edited:
This was a fun race...

yMZXgkh.jpg

The mod usually generates a couple failures, but I've never seen a result like this before. Ivan Capelli had been throwing his Leyton House around in my mirrors for the last three laps of the race without finding a way by and his car died on the cool down lap after the end of the race as did Berger's Ferrari.

Terribly disappointed that I finished seventh and couldn't turn such an extreme failure rate into a points finish.

Indeed, doesn't with update 1.3. Something about UNKNOW_TOKEN_FWINGA when on loading screen. Anyone know how to correct that ? I've looked into the gen files, but I can't figure it out. Or maybe it's a change in the mas file ?

Keith Windsor updated Formula Classic 1988 Skins, Performance, Reliability AMS with a new update entry:

Formula Classic 1988 Skins, Performance, Reliability AMS

Upgrade files have been amended to work with Reiza's latest Aero package thanks to hansieCronje for alerting me to the changes).

Corrected some performance levels on slower cars.

Lowered some cars' reliability issues slightly, so that a few more cars now keep racing till the end - improves the racing.

Fixed minor error in srs season details

Amended pit groups so that AI pit correctly in majority of mod tracks.

Read the rest of this update entry...

anyone else having trouble with getting the different performance levels to work? everything worked perfectly for me with an older version of this mod but now it's not working at all. Already reinstalled the mod several times and even AMS itself once but it's still not working. Reliability changes also not working. Skins and Talent files work fine.

I double checked if I installed something wrong and also checked the in-game selections/settings several times and can't find a mistake on my side.

checked that, got the right one selected. fwiw I have the same issue with the '91 skin pack. Skins and talent files are working, reliability and performance levels aren't. Checked several times that I'm really using the SP files. Weird. I guess I'll try another fresh install of AMS + mods, if that doesn't work I'll give up.

I just downloaded my own 88 set just to be sure, and watched them at Brasilia. I can confirm they are definitely performing differently. Which settings exactly are not having an effect?

I also just changed the reliability of one of the cars and I can confirm the car broke down as expected, so reliability changes do appear to be working.

thx for your help. If it's working for you the problem obviously is on my end. I just can't get it to work though. McLarens always finishing midpack and Sala in the Minardi winning 1/3 of all races. Even in 2 hour simulated races (and I simulated a good amount) not a single car breaks down. (mech failures turned on and damage at 100%). And of course I'm using the SP files.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm not new when it comes to mods (I've been a modder myself for several games in the past) and never in my life did I have such a hard time to get a mod to work. I just can't figure out where it all goes wrong. I'm thankful for your help but I guess I have to realize when I have to give up.

Just to make extra sure I tested the reliability on the beta version and the release version of the game, and it is working on both. Sorry you're having the problem, there must be a simple explanation. Could there be any conflicting mods?

no, did a clean install of AMS and only installed this mod. Deleted everything that was AMS related before. Also downloaded the mod a 2nd time just to make sure I had no corrupted files.

I'll try to install AMS + mod on my work PC now. Don't worry, I'm the boss, I'm allowed to do this ;)
There has to be something on my gaming PC that's preventing me to get this mod to work properly, that's the only explanation I have left at this point. Will take some time before I can report back because the internet speed at work is ridiculously slow, so downloading AMS will take a while.

edit: didn't work on my work PC either. Everything installed correctly but performance levels are all over the place and no mechanical failures.
btw: when I revert AMS back to 1.2.1 and install the previous version of the mod everything works fine. Weird. I guess I'll just use 1.2.1 and the older version of the mod, I don't have Adelaide anyway.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 163 7.9%
  • < 5 years