• Goodbye Dan Gurney, and thanks for the memories...
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Follow RaceDepartment also on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

EU Formula 3 @ Floripa - Wed 15Nov17

Discussion in 'Automobilista Racing Clubs & Leagues' started by Ross Garland, Nov 7, 2017.

Added to Calendar: 15-11-17
  1. CMGARAGE

CMGARAGE
    Premium

Ratings:
    +267
    I mentioned some of the parameters of engine wear in last weeks Curvelo race thread with Dan, although it was more aimed at his temp management.

There's two main factors that impact wear; temps and revs. With a 6 radiator you should've of been good for temps. It seems keeping oil under 110celsius is advisable. I couldn't see your motec or see any temps on the HUD but 6 should easy keep you at safe levels.

The most likely cause is too many revs on downshifts. If any point revs are calculated to be above 8500rpm the engine will die immediately. You are rev limited to 7250rpm so you can only go above this with aggressive downshifting. You also get a wear factor of 50 for each second you are above the rev limit.

If you save you replays watch your rev readout (top left) as you downshift. If it goes beyond 8500 it's an instant blowout and couldn't be avoided. If it's general wear you can adapt your driving slightly to improve engine life. :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tero Dahlberg

Tero Dahlberg
    Ajira Racing Premium

Ratings:
    +306
    I would put money on too fast downshifts. The revs go off the charts, literally, when you watch the tacho while you downshift through the gears.

You gear spacing seems a bit odd too. I think they are quite close together and that leaves 6th quite long. Which also makes it so that you have to downshift through more gears for tighter corners.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. KODIAK

KODIAK
    V8 Supercars is the best! Premium

Ratings:
    +77
    I'll revert to stock for next race. tbh, they were killing me in that big left sweeper.

ill check.

*so I watched that replay, and I never went anywhere near 8500rpms

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  4. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Oh no! It's him again! Premium

Ratings:
    +2,212
    Oh yeah, I completely forgot - sorry about that tap in the first chicane at the start, @Steve Le Gallez - it was a bit of an accordion effect there, but still, I should've been more careful...

5. Steve Le Gallez

Steve Le Gallez
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +659
    No worries mate, not your fault :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. ionONE1

ionONE1
    Premium

Ratings:
    +447
    I looked at the message someone posted during the race on the other screen, should not distract me but it did, missed the braking point and decided to stop.

7. Craig Patteson

Craig Patteson
    Natural Born Racer Racer in Pyjamas Premium

Ratings:
    +663
    Shame mate we were having a really good battle you were much faster after the pitstop

8. ionONE1

ionONE1
    Premium

Ratings:
    +447
    I thought i can do this without a pitstop, had a full tank but tires were melting to fast.. only thing i could do was to force you to pit early for fuel, worked out but i was never going to overtake with 23/23 wing.

9. Tero Dahlberg

Tero Dahlberg
    Ajira Racing Premium

Ratings:
    +306
    But if you keep constantly overrevving on downshifts it'll eventually blow up the engine. You go over 7300 rpm each time and there are these lines in the engine file:
    EngineHyperWearMinRPM=7250 //Min revs to wear the engine EngineHyperWearFactor times faster
    EngineHyperWearFactor=50
    EngineInstantBlowUp=8500

10. Tero Dahlberg

Tero Dahlberg
    Ajira Racing Premium

Ratings:
    +306
    Out of curiosity, and for reference, as I had never paid attention going over 7250 rpm, I loaded Motec and checked my telemetry. I spent a total of 0,332 seconds above 7250! Of which 0,293 s happened on the warmup lap for some reason :D

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dan ONeill

Dan ONeill
    Premium

Ratings:
    +156
    Probably the start of the line?
    This subject is interesting and should help people who blow their engines. Better armed with the knowledge than guessing...
    Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  12. KODIAK

KODIAK
    V8 Supercars is the best! Premium

Ratings:
    +77
    From this I gather that I was effectively wearing down my engine every time I was going over 7300, which I did quite a few times, and it finally gave out?

My next question is should I have tighter gearing for 1-2-3 or 4-5-6

13. Tero Dahlberg

Tero Dahlberg
    Ajira Racing Premium

Ratings:
    +306
    Well that is my assumption, based on that downshifting in that one corner. I assume you did it more or less the same way every time and possibly for other corners too. I'll look a bit more of your video at some point. And well you can do it too :D

As for the gearing... I think the engine is very very forgiving regarding gear spacing as it has a very wide torque peak, more of a plateau actually. Blue is torque, red is HP. I think "redline"/limiter is at 7250 btw. So at least in my understanding it doesn't make a world of difference where between 5000 and 6250 your RPM drops down to when shifting up.
    [​IMG]

If someone disagrees or knows I'm wrong, please say something :)