Former World Champion John Surtees Passes Away

Bridgehampton 1968, a failed pushrod caused him to not finish the Can-Am race there. With an open paddock we all got to get close to him. Well, he was always one of my heroes having been a Champion on bikes.

RIP John. He leaves a great record on 2 and 4 wheels, something that is very unlikely to be achieved again.

I think even if there was someone who had the talent to replicate it, that sort of thing doesn't really seem to happen in modern motorsport. I'd be surprised to see it matched.

He leaves a fantastic mark on motorsport's history.

Guys,

To mark the passing of the legend lets all do something good shall we? Please I implore you all to go to the Henry Surtees Foundation website, sign the book of condolences for John and leave a small donation to the foundation.

Just think with the number of readers we have here each day, if we all left just £1 it could make a significant difference to the excellent work the foundation does.

I think it will be a fitting mark of respect to one of the greats.

Someone who've I've met and seen at so many classic and special events over the years. The word legend can be overused sometimes but in John's case his achievements in motorsport will never be equaled and he is a true legend on both two wheels and four.

Rest in peace John, can't imagine the sense of loss he felt when he lost his son that day but they are now together again.

I was watching a video I recorded of him on the Autosport show stage a few years ago. He was telling the story of how he got into F1.

Went from wining everything on bikes to a non championship race for a bit of fun, put it on pole. Finished 2nd to a certain Jim Clark. Did a few more races and then got pounced on by Lotus and Colin Chapman so then went to F1. Absolutely brilliant. If you put it in a movie people would say you were being silly! :)

The best bit was him annoying the hell out of the Ferrari team by telling them their engine wasn't much good! (Sounds familiar? :D :whistling:)

The other thing that occurs to me is during his F1 career he saw the most immense change in the cars as well.

John Surtees on his way to work, driving his F1 car through the city to the circuit.
Apart from all his great achievements, this is one of my fondest memories.

R.I.P.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 148 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing