Cars Ford Transit 2005 (WIP)

Does Sidewind steer it ? :)

Haha, it does actually! But I'll redo a lot of my aero stuff on it when I get more accurate data from the CFD, right now drag/lift are in the right ballpark but the sideforce stuff with the Fin is completely guesses by me at the moment.

Just checked just now, its actually hugely unstable in a crosswind, although I think there may be a bug with the way its implemented (wind that is, I'll look more into it).

Wind might make it more necessary to position the 'body' wing correctly forward/backward, driving in no wind only its height mattered but when it's coming from the side its position relative to center of mass is important.

Absolutely. Cross-wind stability is all about the relative positions of the centre of mass and the centre of pressure giving a turning moment. An empty van will have all the mass close to the front but the centre of pressure will be a lot further back.

Just a quick update, new live axle code working wonders on this thing, really feeling much more natural in all aspects - braking and traction most noticeably, much less rear locking (despite front bias) and no more crazy inside wheelspin at every opportunity. Definitely have to manage understeer more, but thats to be expected.

hqIXV3Mh.jpg

0HjmdbKh.jpg

@Stereo I tried messing around with LEAF_SPRING_LAT_K, but felt it just gave weird lateral oscillations and allowed a fair bit of lateral movement even with high values. Instead I just added a 5th link as seen below, seemed to be a lot better.

pPSESAfh.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back