Cars Ford Focus RS Mk1 WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Man ))
Awesome work so far on the project ,
I can remember you saying a few times you like to use kunos cars as reference ect ,
Not sure what these resources are ,
But noticed a few things personally I would improve on ,
To get a better cleaner looking topology ,
I never leave open loops , Always close them and depending on how they are , Add more Tri ,
To get it looking how it should ,
Nothing negative from me , Keep up the amazing work ,
Just a few pointers on what I would add to it :)
upload_2017-3-27_12-26-11.png

This is Just one example ,
But imagine over an entire car , mounts up into 100,s of closing these loops up :)
Also around the windows on the drivers door maybe have ago at doubling the poly count ,
will look even sharper and close it all with Tri .

Why would turning each quad manually into tris be good? Seems like a lot of work for something that would not make any visible difference (that I know of?).

I'm not sure I see the benefits (although happy to be shown).

And yeah, there are areas that could use some denser polys, very easy to add so will wait till I'm a bit further down the line and see where I am tricount wise (pretty good atm I think), although no interior to speak of yet.

Why would turning each quad manually into tris be good? Seems like a lot of work for something that would not make any visible difference (that I know of?).
Like I said , My preference from techniques I have learned and been teached over the years to get a cleaner looking topology ,
Car looks awesome , leave it how it is ,
But obviously if it makes no sense its more work to make it look cleaner , then leave it :)

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate feedback from experienced modellers like yourself, but I just don't see the benefit. I'd be glad to make changes if I understand why its better.
Adding Tri to quads does not effect the polycount at all on any objects ,
Yes its more work last night spent hrs on a project that was finished ,
But to get pro looking cleaner topology of my mesh I take this time and just do it ,
But like I mentioned before the car looks great , and if it makes no sense just leave it , :)

All quads get converted to tris when it goes into the editor so what's the point of of doing it in the 3D software? It's always easier and suggested to model in quads not tris. If you want to see it in tris you can just throw on a triangulate modifier to see how it will look before it goes into the editor but you don't have to apply it. No need to do it manually.

I guess the advantage is that by triangulating manually, you get full control over the topology, rather than being at the mercy of software quad -> tri conversion.
So you add the modifier and look it over. If any part looks strange fix it manually. If it all looks fine then leave it. Still no need in my opinion to do it all manually. And never once have I ever seen anyone suggest modeling in tris before.

So you add the modifier and look it over. If any part looks strange fix it manually. If it all looks fine then leave it. Still no need in my opinion to do it all manually. And never once have I ever seen anyone suggest modeling in tris before.
Not talking about modelling in Tri ,
Merely stating that I do not leave open loops ,
If you look at any professional works carried out at the topology , in most cases adding extra Tri , to open loops , makes the finished car look cleaner ,
Most screens of Kunos cars under development show this ,
As do most games ,
Not talking about adding 1000,s of triangles only where the loops are left open and to build clean looking topology like I say :)

2u79l06.png

Look around my cockpit area INT and EXT around the glass and under the wheel ,
About building nice clean topology ,
If you dont like doing extra work for something no one will ever see then this is your choice ;)

Doing it symmetrically in those |\/| situations (instead of just having a 5-gon) helps the 3d editor calculate normals symmetrically while also triangulating it right, yes you can leave it up to the program but it'll sometimes decide to make the 4 outer vertices a quad and then a degenerate triangle connecting the bottom 3. Or connect it like |//| which also doesn't look as nice.

v4wrdxg.png

You want the version where both edges are convex but the Blender triangulation algorithm doesn't know that and happens to choose a mirror version of the 'ok' one. (I could tell by rotating the camera around; flat shading just does the average of the face's normals or something)

Br4MAHs.png

If I had finer control of the shading process then the weighting on the 2 edges I scrubbed in gray should be adjusted; the bottom end weighted 0 (since the square edges next to it are adequate) and the top end roughly half since you have 2 edges meeting 1 edge.

Last edited:
Doing it symmetrically in those |\/| situations (instead of just having a 5-gon) helps the 3d editor calculate normals symmetrically while also triangulating it right, yes you can leave it up to the program but it'll sometimes decide to make the 4 outer vertices a quad and then a degenerate triangle connecting the bottom 3. Or connect it like |//| which also doesn't look as nice.

v4wrdxg.png

You want the version where both edges are convex but the Blender triangulation algorithm doesn't know that and happens to choose a mirror version of the 'ok' one. (I could tell by rotating the camera around; flat shading just does the average of the face's normals or something)

Thanks, this makes sense now. I didn't really get the point before :)

Yes blurred rims are a pain in the ass, wish it would use real motion blur.. anyway, you nailed it! make sure to add some kind of geometry between the blurred part and the brake disc otherwise it looks odd (once you get to that point, that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 240 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%