Force AI to use custom setups

Hi, after 2 full years playing Assetto Corsa I still don't enjoy offline racing as much as I do online.
Except for some combinations of track/car that are a real challenge, the AI at 100% still doesn't put me on the limit for the entire race, I suppose mainly for a bad tyre selection and wrong gearbox settings.

Is there a way to force the AI using custom setups?
I found a couple of methods online but none of them works.

I appreciate any answer.
Cheers,
Federico

Has anyone got this to work? I'm probably misunderstanding something. I go to a race weekend and in the first practice session create a setup in the garage and save it as "ai_default". When I exit the track and reenter the practice session the AI doesn't seem to use it. It uses it's original gearing. What am I doing wrong?

Has anyone got this to work? I'm probably misunderstanding something. I go to a race weekend and in the first practice session create a setup in the garage and save it as "ai_default". When I exit the track and reenter the practice session the AI doesn't seem to use it. It uses it's original gearing. What am I doing wrong?
Did you save the name without " ? The game looks for a setup named ai_default in your profile, looks like this in the ...\Documents\Assetto Corsa\logs\log.txt:

Code:
Looking for AI setups in:
Drive:\Documents/Assetto Corsa/setups/ks_mclaren_650_gt3/spa/ai_default.ini
system/setups/ks_mclaren_650_gt3/spa/ai_default.ini
SetupManager::load: Drive:\Documents/Assetto Corsa/setups/ks_mclaren_650_gt3/spa/ai_default.ini

I didn't use the quotes. I can find the same info in my log.txt after I make a setup, but when I enter practice on a race weekend it doesn't work. They still use the same gearing. I'm not sure what is wrong.
Btw, are you able to choose what boost you want the AI to run on cars with adjustable turbos?

Sorry for the late answer. It should work both in theory (as AI doesn't adjust gearing on their own at all) and to my own experience (I thought), but I guess I'll have to have a closer look and test this a bit more for my own AI presets too. Unless it doesn't use the ai_default setup at all for some reason it should work. Maybe an issue report on the official forums is in order.

There's one thing that might indicate that it doesn't really work with gearing right now and that is that Kunos indicated that the next patch with new AI code will also fix issues the AI had with adjusting to gear ratios. But I don't really know how that will play out yet. I'll test that out before and after the patch.

As for turbo adjustment, no - one of the few settings AI adjusts/overrides themselves (well - adjusts always to the default value I think? Not sure). Personally I'd like to push Kunos to implement a setting to lock this (as this really helps with virtual BoP) or all setup settings really, we'll see if they do at some point.

Any news about this? It still isn't working and no one seems to be talking about this...

well, this 2020 i already gave up on AC.
They have wonderful AI instructions for fighting us in the tracks, still not comparable to RRE AI, but far better from PC2, in my opinion.
They fight against you fairly, sometimes bit over aggressive, but still very entertaining.

Until... AI pit strategy ruins all the fun I mention above.
Except if you race for about 10 laps or less.
They calculation on fuel usages are very poor.
You'll often see them pitting on the last lap.
I think this is top killer joy.

Content manager, SOL and others mod, just make AC better ALMOST on every aspect.
But with this AI pits strategies behaviour, its all just waste, except for non offline users (maybe?)

Now, i'm waiting for AMS2 so badly :(

AC AI really need a few laps practice or qualifying before a race to calculate fuel. They have no memory by design so they have no clue how much fuel they will need unless they can run a few laps to generate an estimate.

This is a big time investment, and you need to do it each race, so I agree, it's far from ideal.

Now, i'm waiting for AMS2 so badly :(
Oh yes :inlove:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 89 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 334 28.2%