FM7 FM7 Set to Make Substantial Improvements for Windows 10 PC

Forza Motorsport 7 (Turn 10 Studios)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Forza Motorsport 7 1.jpg

Forza Motorsport 7 confirm solid list of supported equipment on PC, minimum specification PC hardware and a renewed focus on bringing the Window 10 PC Forza Experience to life..

We all know the upcoming Forza Motorsport 7 game will debut on Windows 10 PC later this year, however after hit and miss attempts with Apex and Horizon 3, Turn 10 Studios claim the PC platform is their "top priority", and as such have gone to great lengths to ensure the experience of Forza Motorsport 7 on PC is as optimised and enjoyable as possible when the game comes out later in the year.

Introducing a substantial list of supported peripherals for the new game (lesson one learnt from Apex) and with the promise of a vast improvement on performance across a number of different machine specifications (lesson two from Horizon 3), Turn 10 and Microsoft appear to be going about the business of breaking into the PC gaming world in a much more robust and organised fashion that has previously been the case. With such heavyweight rivals as Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2, RaceRoom and Project CARS all vying for the dominant racing game position, it will have to be a very strong start out of the box for Turn 10 to finally win over the sceptical sim racing PC public if FM7 is to survive past the initially curiosity stage this time around.

Showing plenty of confidence in the new product, Turn 10 have resurrected something long forgotten in the world of the modern video game industry... a demo! Yes, you heard it right, a demo for Forza Motorsport 7 on PC will be made available prior to the game launching later this year, so you will be able to try before you buy! How refreshing is that?

From the developers themselves:

"At Turn 10 Studios, PC gamers are a top priority, and as such, we have invested significant time to ensure Forza Motorsport 7 offers the best possible experience on Windows 10 PCs and is accessible to millions of more players. Together with our state-of-the art ForzaTech engine, both Forza Motorsport 6: Apex and Forza Horizon 3 helped us quickly learn what’s needed to create a successful PC racing game – such as support for a wide range of PC setups and racing wheels. Since Forza Horizon 3 launched in September 2016, we’ve continued to make improvements to the PC version of the game, with updates to the Windows 10 PC demo, that we’re also applying to Forza Motorsport 7".
Benefitting from lower system demand and "build from the ground up for Windows 10 PC's", the new title could well be that all too rare of things in the racing game world, a title that simply works out of the box.

Minimum Spec
720p
30 fps
8 GB System RAM
i5-750 @ 2.67 GHz Intel CPU
FX-6300 AMD CPU
GT 740 / GTX 650 NV GPU
R7 250X AMD GPU
2GB VRAM

Recommended
1080p 60 fps
8 GB System RAM
i5-4460 @ 3.2 GHz Intel CPU
FX-8350 In AMD CPU
GTX 670 / GTX 1050 Ti NV GPU
RX 560 AMD GPU
4 GB VRAM

Ideal (Ultra)
4K 60 fps
16 GB System RAM
i7-6700K @ 4 GHz Intel CPU
Ryzen 7 AMD CPU
GTX 1080 NV GPU
RX Vega 64 AMD GPU
8 GB VRAM

Ultrabook (Mobile)
720p
30 fps
8 GB System RAM
i5-6200U or better Intel CPU
Intel HD 520 or better Integrated GPU

Supported Peripherals
  • Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller Gamepad
  • Microsoft Xbox One Controller Gamepad
  • Microsoft Xbox One Elite Controller Gamepad
  • Microsoft Xbox One S/X Controller Gamepad
  • Sony Dual Shock 4 Gamepad
  • Fanatec CSR Wheel
  • Fanatec CSR Elite Wheel
  • Fanatec ClubSport V2 Wheel
  • Fanatec ClubSport V1 Wheel
  • Fanatec CSL Wheel
  • Fanatec ClubSport V2.5 Wheel
  • Logitech G29 Wheel
  • Logitech Driving Force Pro Wheel
  • Logitech G25 Wheel
  • Logitech Driving Force GT Wheel
  • Logitech G27 Wheel
  • Logitech MOMO Wheel
  • Logitech G920 Wheel
  • Thrustmaster RGT Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T100 Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T500 RS Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GTE Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari Int Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T300 RS Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T300 RS GT Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T150 Wheel
  • Thrustmaster T150 Pro Wheel
  • Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer Wheel
  • Thrustmaster TX 458 Wheel
  • Thrustmaster TX Leather Wheel
  • Thrustmaster 458 Spider Wheel
  • Thrustmaster TMX Wheel
  • Thrustmaster TMX Pro Wheel
  • Thrustmaster TS-Xbox Wheel
  • Mad Catz Pro Wheel

Forza Motorsport 7 will release on Xbox One, Xbox One X and Windows 10 PC October 3rd 2017.

Forza Motorsport 7 2.jpg
Forza Motorsport 7 3.jpg
Forza Motorsport 7 4.jpg
Forza Motorsport 7 5.jpg

Check out the new Forza Motorsport 7 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions as more details reveal on this exciting new title. Join in with the community, catch up on the news and have yourself an exciting time while we await the game launch on October 3rd.

Forza Motorsport 7 on PC, instant winner or recipe for disaster? Can the popular Forza style of game transfer and be accepted by the often rather difficult to please PC crowd? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I used to love the Forza games on the Xbox consoles but since trying Apex and Horizon on the PC and having the current racing sims of rF2, AC, RRE3 etc already installed, it's very hard for me to consider this title.
These devs are talking rubbish with, 'we've learned a lot about the PC market' it's pure advertising BS.
It sounds like they don't use race Sims on PC and haven't even tried them to see what the competition is like or what the most basic required features are?
They're so blinkered to the world that they think console only, Forza only, and haven't tried any of the other racing games?
It's just plain weird and the only thing I am interested in is to try the demo to put this curiosity to bed...

Forza 7 PC
I am sure they have learned a lot about the PC in reference to the context that it is Turn 10 as a studio saying this. For this is the 1st Forza game developed on the PC as the lead platform. Not on the console and then migrated over to PC. The fact that Apex and Horizon 3 have both been prior examples of them "developing" and "learning" towards the "PC Platform" should bring confidence that FM7 should very much be running on PC to a high standard and with great optimisation.

Now does this mean Forza will change and turn into a more actual "PC Type Race Sim", not in my view and to expect such is wishful thinking It will very likely maintain its "personality and character" as past titles and with the usual traits the series is known for.

They have basically stated from a PC perspective it will operate with peripherals the way other PC titles do. So it will function on such devices if Win 10 supports them is what is believed. The question for many is not if certain wheels or peripherals will work but how good the FFB is. Also, will this title offer telemetry data but this I feel is doubtful for consumer versions.

Positives:
Developed & built on PC platform
Optomised for various PC platform configs and hardware
Not Turn 10's first entry into developing for PC platform but third
1st major racing title on PC to bring 4K textures & true HDR?
1st racing title developed with Dolby Atmos audio?
1st fully fledged Forza to be available on PC
Unlocked frame rates
SSD capability for faster load times
Cross play functionality
Buy only once, play on Xbox or PC
Users account and game-save work flawlessly on both platforms
6 months of DLC after release announced
Potentially the best Forza title to date, may redefine the level of content in the genre.

Reality:
Perhaps we should applaud the move to the PC platform as many wished for this for years.
Now it's coming and people are still moaning as they will.

Lets not criticise it for being something it isn't going to be....
While we can hope:

Unlikely it will have VR support but multi monitor and 21:9 should be
Unlikely it will have telemetry sharing
Unlikely the paint editor has evolved for PC benefits
Unlikely it will please everyone

Last edited:
You said "dont buy " than is question about VR...And You dont know what I mean. I mean..If I go to the shop, see any **** what innteresting me but...after sepc reading I said..no, i dont buy...Soooo....I have no mere question about this **** beacouse like I said - I dont buy, so it's nothing more what interest me in this ****. One thing what gives fail is enough to not buy...Like...Automatic or manual shifter. If I want manual but its only automatic in this model I DONT BUY IT - FINISH, no question about anything else... I search something else, right choice for me, this what i need. No...you came to the shop for an apple...than you said..mmmm...its too red...no i dont buy it...after 20 sec. ...Ou...is this apple sweet or not? What is wrong with You if You dont understand what I mean?

Why are you so angry?

I asked a follow up question which becomes relevant in the case that multi-input is supported. So if my deal-breaker-must-have is actually included than I am interested in the game.

Why is that hard to understand? You should probably calm down. It was a simple query.

Looking forward to the demo, we've had that on Xbox One for the past few years and it's good to see that carried over to the PC version.

Both Forza Apex and Horizon 3 had Win10 performance issues at launch but today they run and look superb in 4K/60fps+.

The big question remains the steering feel, that is the glaring difference between Forza 6 and the rest pcars, AC, DiRT4 etc today. In Forza 6 on track tarmac there is no feel or feedback through the wheel at all. Kerb feel and the way some of the cars weight up in the corners is fine but many have a washed out centre feel. Good questions on the PC peripherals too, I can only confirm that both the T3PA pedals and TH8A shifter work perfectly on Forza 6/pcars/AC when plugged into the wheel on the Xbox One. The motion rig setups they had running for the shows seemed to be running some impressive Fanatec wheels (did anyone get a close look at them?) so I'd imagine they've thought about separate pedals etc but who knows?

The other issue that caused many problems in Forza 6 was the lack of any form of track limit or penalty, the lego bricks they added on certain tracks and corners were an odd choice to attempt to solve the problem. The Forza 7 driver rating system is supposed to help with all this too but we will have to wait and see.

I'm optimistic that they will have upped the game for the PC market, but at the same time I know it will be the same accessible driving game with car modification they will stick with that mass market popular formula for certain.

This was an instant Ultimate Edition preorder for me after years of great entertainment and I'm looking forward to more of the same.

- support for multiple input devices (said to be fixed before release)
- FFB from self-aligning torque and suspension geometry (won't be fixed, you can tell from the tuning options with still wrong caster values etc.)
- FOV options (Dan Greenawalt dodged this question, which means NO, all we get is the new dashcam)
- Telemetry export via shared memory (super unlikely, they would have said something about apps when they even announced that Fanatec shift lights will be working)
- Triple-screen support (not coming)
- VR support (could be coming later with headset announcements for XBO X, who knows)

I spend over 400€ on Forza this-gen ... not this one though. No FOV options on PC is like an INSULT and they hired a new guy to improve FFB and nobody felt a distinct difference at E3. Model the suspensions of your cars, get rid of input-smoothing for wheels, make your tire model capable of not rear-snapping with faster inputs, give us FOV options, let me choose cars for the whole roster to race against as well as the rules that apply to a race. I'll be back buying Ultimate then.

- support for multiple input devices (said to be fixed before release)
- FFB from self-aligning torque and suspension geometry (won't be fixed, you can tell from the tuning options with still wrong caster values etc.)
- FOV options (Dan Greenawalt dodged this question, which means NO, all we get is the new dashcam)
- Telemetry export via shared memory (super unlikely, they would have said something about apps when they even announced that Fanatec shift lights will be working)
- Triple-screen support (not coming)
- VR support (could be coming later with headset announcements for XBO X, who knows)

I spend over 400€ on Forza this-gen ... not this one though. No FOV options on PC is like an INSULT and they hired a new guy to improve FFB and nobody felt a distinct difference at E3. Model the suspensions of your cars, get rid of input-smoothing for wheels, make your tire model capable of not rear-snapping with faster inputs, give us FOV options, let me choose cars for the whole roster to race against as well as the rules that apply to a race. I'll be back buying Ultimate then.

Amen.

Can't help but notice that the Thrustmaster shifters are absent from that list.

No multiple input support means no buy from me. Full stop. All those sexy classic cars are absolutely worthless without a gated shifter.

Anyone know if it'll support VR?
I wouldn't say no to a good game just becasue of shiter , .. even more so when so many of the new cars are sequential anyhow

but VR would certainly make it more attractive !!! becasue then the silly FOV woulnt' matter anymore

Guys, shifters, handbrakes and all other devices are supported through my app in all Forza titles for PC. Even if FM7 will not support multi-usb set ups, you can still use everything you have using my app. Currently FFB works only if you install Insiders build of Windows, as there is a bug in current release version of Windows. But when Forza 7 is released, it will most likely be released together with Fall Creators Update and that will contain the fix which allows FFB to work through my app without Insiders build.
I have several hundred people reporting successfully using their peripherals in Forza Horizon 3 and Apex without problems. However I'm hoping they do add multi-usb support natively. But if they don't, at least there is a solution. Also I'm open to suggestions what additional features you would like to see and would gladly implement them to the best of my ability.

For more information check this thread: https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...1--Multi-device-support-with-working-FFB.aspx

Also I have a support chat set up in discord, where I'm helping users to set up their devices and troubleshooting issues. If you have any questions, you're welcome to join, my nickname there is FirstPlatoLV. If I'm not sleeping, I will answer right away and do my best to assist you.
https://discord.gg/8vC2zvz

Regards,
FirstPlatoLV

Also forgot to mention. If you have a single USB device setup that is not supported by current Forza titles or FM7, adding support for it is as easy as executing a registry key which I will make for your device. No need for 3rd party apps, windows updates etc. It just works. The only requirement is that your wheel supports separate pedal mode as combined pedals are not supported. You can still make the game recognise your device as a gamepad (that allows combined pedals), however in that case at least all current Forza titles add various assists which make the handling even more awful.

Here is the reason why I believe that multi-usb will be supported in Forza 7 unless devs are just lazy. Forza games use an input API called Windows.Gaming.Input. UWP apps like Forza up until march 2017 could only see devices which are specifically defined in windows registry. Forza games could only interact with devices which are defined as RacingWheel or Gamepad class devices. Examining the API in action I found that these devices are reported without any means to determine which device it is, for example there is no VID PID data, so it means that making multi-usb device support was complicated to add but still possible.
When Creators update got released back in march, they added RawGameController class to Windows.Gaming.Input. The benefits of RawGameController are that all apps could instantly see RawGameControllers (without the need to define them in registry) and they contain data which allows to identify them.
In some interviews turn 10 mentioned that they tried even Guitar Hero controllers in their games, which can only mean one of the two things. Using the old (pre RawGameController system), they would have to specifically define Guitar Hero controller as RacingWheel class device in registry and only then it would be visible by Forza and the same applies for every device. What is most likely though, that they are using RawGameController class now which immediately picks up all devices without the need to define them in registry. This also explains why they do not mention shifters and separate pedals in their supported devices list, because they do not require specific support, with RawGameController they just work. Now wheels are mentioned because Turn10 is actually tuning a profile for each wheel , based on it's FFB abilities (at least it is evident examining files from previous Forza games on PC).
So my theory at this point is that they will support all devices, but those that are mentioned in device list, will have special profiles for them , which makes sense - you do not need a special profile for TH8A , as it is basically a bunch of buttons, but you need a special profile for a wheel, to make the best of FFB capabilities which it has and which are different for different wheel models.
So in short, I'd say multi-usb WILL be supported in FM7.

You said "dont buy " than is question about VR...And You dont know what I mean. I mean..If I go to the shop, see any products what innteresting me but...after sepc reading I said..no, i dont buy...Soooo....I have no mere question about this product beacouse like I said - I dont buy, so it's nothing more what interest me in this product. One thing what gives fail is enough to not buy...Like...Automatic or manual shifter. If I want manual but its only automatic in this model I DONT BUY IT - FINISH, no question about anything else... I search something else, right choice for me, this what i need. No...you came to the shop for an apple...than you said..mmmm...its too red...no i dont buy it...after 20 sec. ...Ou...is this apple sweet or not?

what_orig.jpg

That doesn't mean true triple screen support, that's just non-standard widescreen resolition settings. True triple screen support would mean FOV options and why did Greenawalt that question then.

Oh you mean like on the 360 where if you used the multi screen setting you could adjust fov even for single screen? There was a draw back with that though as I don't think you could look around in the car anymore if you did that. That is why I want to hear it from T10's mouths and not this vague 'support for multiple monitors' line they listed.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean true triple screen support, that's just non-standard widescreen resolition settings. True triple screen support would mean FOV options and why did Greenawalt that question then.

From ISRTV:

Triple screen support as well as support for 21:9 monitors has been implemented for the first time with a Forza game on PC

I'm not sure of the nuance in your point, maybe FOV adjustment has been added as with F1 2017 we'll have to wait and see. I'm just as interested in his refusal to deny VR support is coming.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back