Five Place Grid Penalty For Hamilton in Austria

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Austrian Grand Prix - Hamilton Gearbox Change.jpg

Lewis Hamilton will serve a five place grid drop in Austria, as his Mercedes team replace the gearbox on his W08 Hybrid ahead of qualifying on Saturday.

An official report from FIA Formula One Technical Delegate Jo Baeur read: "[Hamilton] did finish the last race in Baku and this gearbox change was before the six consecutive events expired.

"As this is not in compliance with article 23.5a of the 2017 Formula 1 sporting regulations, I am referring this matter to the stewards for their consideration.

"The team informed the technical delegate about the gearbox change on Tuesday, 04th July 2017, at 11:29 hours."

Having topped both practice sessions in Austria, Hamilton can at best expect to line up no higher than fifth position for Sundays Austrian Grand Prix at the Red Bull ring. Trailing Ferrari rival Sebastien Vettel by 14 points ahead of the weekend, the penalty for Hamilton and Mercedes comes at an inopportune time for the team, however with plenty of overtaking opportunities and long straights followed by extended braking areas, all is not lost for the British driver by any stretch of the imagination.

Up to the close of Friday things have been looking remarkably strong for the Silver Arrows and Hamilton, with the British driver effusive in his praise of his Mercedes car during the opening practice sessions of the weekend -

"It's been a really good Friday with no major headaches to complain about so far. We had to swap out a spark plug during FP2, but the guys did a great job to turn the car around and we still managed to complete our programme. Most importantly, the car feels fantastically fast here. There's already a nice balance and it feels good out on track. This car is so quick in comparison to what we raced here last year. It's tricky, but a proper thrill to hook up a lap. The team is in good spirits and we're all up for another exciting fight with the Ferraris this weekend."

Track action continues of Saturday with the final practice session ahead of qualification in the early afternoon.

For more Formula One news head over to our Formula One sub forum and get yourself involved with our awesome racing community!

Although a blow for Hamilton, do you think the British driver can still fight for the win in Austria? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
It beggars belief that you get a 5 place grid penalty for a gearbox change,when a complete dip:poop: who purposely rams his car into another 1 gets a 10 sec penalty..This is what is ruining F1 and the FIA needs bending over and a big fat long rusty pole shuffing right up where the sun does,nt shine..:mad::mad:

It beggars belief that you get a 5 place grid penalty for a gearbox change,when a complete dip:poop: who purposely rams his car into another 1 gets a 10 sec penalty..This is what is ruining F1 and the FIA needs bending over and a big fat long rusty pole shuffing right up where the sun does,nt shine..:mad::mad:
I don't know about that second bit, but I completely agree with you that the punishment doesn't necessarily fit when compared to the slap on the wrist that Vettel got. It's absurd really.

I'm still fuming that he [Vettel] got off so lightly. :mad:

Hell you guys are so fickel mind orientated. Had that gearbox change been on Bottas's car, then it would be fine. The rules are the rules and Hamilton is not the exception. He must learn to stop whining when all does not go his way. He has the driving skills to recover from 5th position as Vettel had to do from the back.

Seems like every time the Ham has an issue for the rest of the season, the fanboys are gonna cry how unfair the FIA and possibly the world is treating him! :roflmao:
There is only ONE finger guys.......:cool:

I am a Hamilton fan but would have said the same when it happens to any driver, including Vettel. Just no reward for racing fans or drivers alike and I'm sure it does very little to cap costs.

Seems like every time the Ham has an issue for the rest of the season, the fanboys are gonna cry how unfair the FIA and possibly the world is treating him! :roflmao:
No1,i aint no Ham "fanboy"
No2,my point is,it just shows what stupid rules the FIA have in place regardless of whoever has a gearbox/engine failure,its killing F1,does a tennis player forfiet the set if a string goes in a racket??..or a cricketer if the bat breaks..No..

The penalty for gearbox replacements has been in effect for AGES now and shedloads of drivers have been penalised, why only bitch about it now?

And what vettel did to hamilton was handbags at dawn FFS. All this talk of how dangerous it was is just daft, it's not as if he ploughed into another driver at speed like Senna did is it? How about we retrospectively take all Senna's titles off him as he's an idol and surely THAT is a bad example?

Vettel should be made to do a grovelling, embarrassing apology on live TV though. Seems he's escaped that.

It is what it is - same rules for everyone in this regard.
Mclaren for example, know better than most what it's like to receive a grid penalty or two; that's one team that should be given an exemption to give them, and FA, a well earned break.
They get 400-place penalty almost every race for changing the whole car.

I'd just like to clarify i was joking, some people need to learn to take a joke. Why people get offended so easily if someones opinion differs even sightly to there own they feel the need to attack said person is beyond me. I do how ever think it's a silly rule that a gearbox has to be used in x amount of racers to save money.

I agree it's frustrating when the driver you support has these types of penalties. We all go through agony when it's our turn. Spices things up I suppose. Vettel and co will all get their turn.
I do have a solution though.......let's ALL become Vettel fans and stay on the same page! :thumbsup::sneaky::roflmao:

These penalties are stupid irrespective of who gets them, they should be manufacturer penalties and not driver. But it is what it is and known before the season starts and evens itself out in most cases .. Except if you are in a McLaren lol

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 327 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 218 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%