1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured First WRC 5 developer diary revealed

Discussion in 'WRC 5 The Game' started by Alex Franchini, May 20, 2015.

1. screen1.jpg
    Kylotonn Games have revealed the first Developer Diary for WRC 5, the latest installment in the official World Rally Championship series.

Click here to watch the dev diary on our RaceTube!

The video is the first extended preview of the game we have seen yet. It's the first in a series of dev diaries, and this time the focus is on car modelling.

Interestingly, you might recognize that the creative director for WRC 5 is Diego Sartori, who's worked with SimBin from 2005 to 2014, so the title seems to be in experienced hands.

You'll be able to take a look at the car modelling process in the video, from the capture of reference photos to the actual in-game recreation. The game directors also talk about correctly recreating car details depending on the upcoming rally stage - for example, the car might have different springs if it's tackling a gravel stage, and so on.

There's also a very short glimpse of the actual gameplay, but it's not enough to determine the level of realism yet. It's a busy year for rally games, between WRC 5, S├ębastien Loeb Rally Evo and the Early Access surprise of Dirt Rally - will we see the true successor to Richard Burns Rally in 2015?

Sound off in the comments!

• Like Like x 7
  2. What the hell is happening we now awash with driving game/sims on the PC .
    Most based on track racing , until now that is not we have 3 Rally game or sims arriving over the next few months
    How will we all find the time to play all these Games.

3. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

That should be... uhm, mandatory in a rally game. I hope they change the rims from the alpha to gold as well.

4. Sk3ptik0n

Sk3ptik0n
    Premium Member

Famine and then feast. Not that I am complaining. I just hope that Codemaster's surprise is going to prompt their competitors to step it up. But I think at least one of them may be tempted to go for the arcade clientele as a response to Codemaster focus on simulation. Regardless, it is good news. RBR is indeed getting very long in the tooth, to the point where it may not even work properly at some point. Newer games than RBR already don't work on Windows.

Curious to see how things will develop.

5. jimortality

jimortality
    Premium Member

Well I think you can forget the milestone Sebastien Loeb game, they make rubbish games and they are a rubbish company. Only my opinion of course :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

I have their Superbike 2010 game, that is surprisingly good. They were onto something with the 2-wheel games, but far from it when they had to use 4 wheels!

7. Sk3ptik0n

Sk3ptik0n
    Premium Member

The issue with milestone is not so much that their games are terrible, but the fact that they seem to be happy with mediocrity. WRC3 and 4 were not bad games, they just had too many problems that were promised a fix but were never fixed. I think part of it is the yearly release schedule. By the time one come comes out they are already working on their next. They have shipped a broken game and getting reamed for it, but by a minority. They promise a fix, but there are no resources and now the new game is coming out in 6 months and previews are already out so they decide to incorporate the fixes in the new game. Except that Milestone didn't even do that, or if they did they broke other things in the process..

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jimortality

jimortality
    Premium Member

Yes, is that the one with the mountains around Silverstone? The SBK games were decent and I played a lot on console but the motogp and ride are just getting worse each year.

9. Arne Dopudja

Arne Dopudja
    Leader of the infamous Chevy Gang.

I dont care if it is arcady like Dirt 1, i only want more racedriver feeling like F1 2010.