PC2 First News of Project CARS 2 DLC Packs Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 DLC and Pre Order Details Revealed.png

Well the game isn't out until around September 2017 but already we get our first look at some of the DLC due to be added to Project CARS 2 post go live later this year...

DLC or additional paid content is now seen as an essential way to extend the life expectancy and financial position of a game long after the original release, be it on console or PC and regardless of genre. Some love this new found industry policy and some yearn for the days of buying a physical disk in the shop and having the full and final package available from day one. However in 2017 DLC content post release is as inevitable as a poor Jeremy Clarkson pun or a misjudged Ferrari pitstop strategy, and Project CARS 2 will be no different from it's immediate PC and console rivals in that respect, with fresh news of some upcoming DLC packs that should be made available for the game once it releases toward the end of 2017.

Coming to light as part of the pre-order details surrounding the title, fans have now been made aware of two new DLC packs due to be added to the simulation and they contain a nice mix of iconic road and racing cars.

Following on from the trend started by Assetto Corsa, one of the packs coming to Project CARS 2 will focus on cars of a Japanese origin, with four attractive sounding machines from the land of the rising sun due to make their way to the sim, mixing up desirable road and race machines of both the real and concept car variety. The Japanese pack has come to light as it is due to form part of the package available to players who purchase the 'Project CARS 2 Ultra Edition' and as such individual DLC pack prices and release dates remain unannounced at this moment in time. You can check out the details of the cars due to be included below -

Japanese Car Pack:
  • Nissan’s infamous Group A R32 Skyline GT-R
  • Nissan’s sublime 280ZX GTX race car
  • The Euro-spec’ Honda Civic Type R, a modern day hot-hatch
  • Honda's 2&4 Concept Car—get a feel for the future with this 13,000rpm collaboration between automotive and motorcycle design that screams performance
As part of the same 'Ultra Edition' pre order deal, details of another exclusive release package have surfaced in the form of the Motorsports Pack DLC, however this collection of cars will not be released for the general public to purchase and will instead release as exclusive content to players who buy either the Ultra Edition, Collectors Edition or DLC Season Pass licence. Again containing four cars, the 'Motorsports Pack' is limited to some incredible racing cars of years past, from the 1974 Jaguar E-Type to the very recent TCR specification Opel (Vauxhall over here in Blighty) Astra TCR, a first official inclusion of a TCR specification car in a modern racing simulation. You can check out the contents of the exclusive 'Motorsports Pack' DLC below -

Motorsports Pack (Exclusive to Season Pass owners and/or Collector’s, and/or Ultra Edition owners).
  • The 1974 Jaguar E-Type V12, Group 44—beauty, speed, and an absolute motoring icon
  • The Panoz Esperante GTR-1—a ’90s GT stalwart
  • The Audi 1991 V8 DTM—a DTM legend with 460hp @ 9,500RPM
  • The 2016 Opel Astra TCR—a 300hp Touring Car monster
Additionally as has become normal practice in the gaming industry SMS will be making available a 'Season Pass' opportunity for gamers who anticipate purchasing all the DLC for Project CARS 2. Much like with other modern games, the Season Pass will be priced at a lower cost that purchasing each DLC individually and will make available all new DLCs plus some exclusive content mentioned above immediately upon release of the relevant pack.

Season Pass
"Project CARS 2 will be fully-supported post-launch with new, bold additional content featuring dozens of cars, as well as many tracks that will enhance and extend the overall experience. All these additional contents will be available to Season Pass holders the instant they are released at no charge"

For those of you interested in the limited edition 'Ultra Edition' Project CARS 2, the game is available to pre order on all platforms now and contains the following features:
  • Limited to only 1,000 copies
  • Includes the full Project CARS 2 game in an exclusively designed, premium-packaged Steelbook™ case, the world’s most sought-after collectable packaging
  • A 1/12 scale resin model car of the gorgeous McLaren 720S in one-off SMS-R Stealth Satin
  • The McLaren 720S Sketchbook: Take a unique journey through the development of this ground-breaking supercar. Exclusively created in partnership with the design team from McLaren, the book lifts the covers on the making of the 720S, including never-before-seen early sketches and models, clays and renders, and guides you all the way through to the final production of McLaren’s new supercar
  • The Project Cars 2 Art Book: A beautifully crafted book that takes you behind the scenes to reveal how the raw excitement of the racing world has been brought to life in the virtual realm. Featuring exclusive images taken throughout the development process, the 200-page book demonstrates the immense attention to detail that is the hallmark of the game, whilst showcasing the stunning new cars and true-to-life locations that make this the world’s premiere motorsports game
  • The Esport Live VIP Pass: Present this pass to any Slightly Mad Studios, or Bandai Namco staff member at Project CARS Esports live events anywhere in the world, and you will be treated to the full benefits that come from being a Project CARS VIP. Meet the team, jump to the front of the queue, or maybe even pick up some free swag!
  • An individually-numbered, embroidered Snapback cap
  • A stunning Project CARS 2 poster signed by the SMS team as well as the real-world drivers who make up Team SMS-R
  • A Project CARS 2 Sticker Sheet: Unique and stunning Project CARS, SMS-R, and Esports imagery and iconography
  • The exclusive Japanese Cars Pack. Revel in iconic JDM machinery with this added content that features four cars from iconic Japanese manufacturers Honda and Nissan:
  • Nissan’s infamous Group A R32 Skyline GT-R
  • Nissan’s sublime 280ZX GTX race car
  • The Euro-spec’ Honda Civic Type R, a modern day hot-hatch
  • Honda's 2&4 Concept Car—get a feel for the future with this 13,000rpm collaboration between automotive and motorcycle design that screams performance
  • The Season Pass: Project CARS 2 will be fully-supported post-launch with new, bold additional content featuring dozens of cars, as well as many tracks that will enhance and extend the overall experience. All these additional contents will be available to Season Pass holders the instant they are released at no charge
  • The Motorsport Pack*: Exclusively available to Season Pass holders, this exclusive, bonus pack of fan-favourite race cars includes:
  • The 1974 Jaguar E-Type V12, Group 44—beauty, speed, and an absolute motoring icon
  • The Panoz Esperante GTR-1—a ’90s GT stalwart
  • The Audi 1991 V8 DTM—a DTM legend with 460hp @ 9,500RPM
  • The 2016 Opel Astra TCR—a 300hp Touring Car monster
    *This content is not available for purchase, and only available to Season Pass holders, and/or Collector’s, and/or Ultra Edition owners

Project CARS 2 is scheduled for a release around September 2017 for both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 as well as on PC via the Steam network.

Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 1.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 21.jpg

Want to know more about Project CARS 2? Fancy chatting to fellow game enthusiasts about what is known so far, or simply just to speculate on what the game could feature on release? Well look no further! Head over to the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with the community discussion right now!

Like the look of the first announced DLC's? Any car strike your fancy particularly? Will you be digging deep in the pockets for the Ultra Edition of the game? Let us know in the comments section below!

Its 21€ if you look at the right place (keyseller)
Not sure I'd call keyselling sites "the right place". You might as well be saying that it's free if you look at the right place. But whatever.

Automobilista and all its DLCs are around 35€ at Steam
Project CARS and all its DLCs are around 50€ at Steam
Assetto Corsa and all its DLCs are over 75€ at Steam
Raceroom and all its DLCs are around 100€ at Steam
iRacing and all its DLCs are more than 1000€

So if you take Steam prices, Project CARS has one of the best price ratios

OK, if you say so.

Personal gamer opinion here, not Lorenzo Bonder staff member opinion:

Chill out, take a chill pill, some tea, beers, whatever.

Nowadays this is a normal practice, SMS is not the first company to do it and certainly isn't the last. It might be the most friendly practice, money grabbing maybe, but usually the average joe gamer and etc usually will buy it.

In the end everyone will play (or not the game) it, regardless if it is buggy to death or optimized to heaven.

• Deleted member 113561

Not sure I'd call keyselling sites "the right place". You might as well be saying that it's free if you look at the right place. But whatever.

OK, if you say so.
I didn't want to advertise a specific place - but if you want to know: mmoga.de Project CARS GOTY 20.99€

You can check if you don't believe me on the Steam prices ... i explicitly wrote around xx € because VAT and this is country dependant...

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone keeps talking about the way the name game looks and being able to run it in 8k and I even heard 12K?????

They said the same about Pcars 1, but sadly no one that i saw called them out on this utter BS.

There are few things that are more blatant of a lie than this. It would be like saying I have bird wings and can fly. It simply doesnt exist.

"12k" as SMS has called it, simply is a lie. There is no other way to put it. What they are saying is, "you can play in 4k, but with 3 monitors." So they are adding 4k on monitor #1 + 4k on monitor #2 + 4k on monitor #3 and thinking this somehow equals 12k. Well, triple 4k monitors is not 12k. That doesnt even exist yet besides a theoretical resolution standard of future hardware.

Do you call triple 1920x1080 monitors 6k? No. Because it doesnt exist.

Not to mention that I doubt a single texture in the game will even be 8k resolution :p

It really should set off red flags when marketing blatantly and unapologetically lies to you. But that should itself be a separate issue from how the game actually turns out. If the gameplay turns out to be improved and what it should have been in the first game, that wont be a bad thing. Then again, when you have to attempt to sell your game with anti-consumer business practices, and outright lies... it doesnt exactly instill a sense of confidence in your product.

And if anyone remembers back to January when RD posted this article SMS claimed there would be 200+ cars in the game. Well, I wondered:

Be interesting to see if this "200+ cars" is including all dlc or the base game amount. I'd put $5 on "with all dlc."

I suppose we now have a definitive answer. I guess we can now wonder how many cars the base game will have. Any takers on <100?

But, I will let the immortal words of Ian Bell speak for themselves.

cg4TlE9.png

• Deleted member 113561

They said the same about Pcars 1, but sadly no one that i saw called them out on this utter BS.

There are few things that are more blatant of a lie than this. It would be like saying I have bird wings and can fly. It simply doesnt exist.

"12k" as SMS has called it, simply is a lie. There is no other way to put it. What they are saying is, "you can play in 4k, but with 3 monitors." So they are adding 4k on monitor #1 + 4k on monitor #2 + 4k on monitor #3 and thinking this somehow equals 12k. Well, triple 4k monitors is not 12k. That doesnt even exist yet besides a theoretical resolution standard of future hardware.

Do you call triple 1920x1080 monitors 6k? No. Because it doesnt exist.

Not to mention that I doubt a single texture in the game will even be 8k resolution :p
You are wrong about 12K being untrue ... I just read a few days ago about how they name resolutions

There is a lot of confusion about the naming of resolutions - here a very quick guide
2K = 1500p - 2499p ... so 1920x1080 (Full HD)
3K = 2500p - 3499p ... so ie. 2550x1440
4K = 3500p - 4499p ... so ie. 3840x2160 (UltraHD)
6K = ie. 5760x1080 (triple FullHD)
8K = ie. 7680x4320 or ie. 7680x2160 (dual UltraHD)
12K = ie. 11520x6480 (triple UltraHD)

The thing is, only 4K, 5K and 8K are advertised as such sofar. They also use SD, HD, FullHD and UltraHD. I hope one day they can think of 1 universal naming instead of a few which are confusing aswell.

And yes the game runs on triple UltraHD in PCARS 1 - there is footage and proof of that.

About the 170+cars: Yes its somehow not 100% clear - I would be surprised though if the release version has not 170 cars. Would be a marketing disaster (à la No Man's Sky). We will see though.

You are wrong about 12K being untrue ... I just read a few days ago about how they name resolutions

I know how they name resolutions, and I am not wrong.

Look up again what the resolution terms actually refer to. They dont refer to a 'range' like you imply. They refer to a specific resolution that becomes a standard. I will not be responding to you further as you have already proven time and again it is impossible to have dialogue.

Their official Twitter says 180, so <100 would be a courageous bet to make.

From the recent posts on their twitter you seem to be referring to, they only say, "Be the driver. 180+ cars, most tracks on console."

That says nothing about how many are dlc. And is already backtracking on their earlier statement that there will be 200+ lol.

But, you can simply judge for yourself based on past history. Namely Pcars 1.

Pcars 1 had 65 cars in the base game, and 60 cars as dlc.

I dont expect Pcars 2 to be any different in this regard. There will be a ton of dlc. And with SMS backing down to "180+" cars now, I see <100 included in the base game as being feasible.

mod-edit: binned
Mmm...apparently there IS a corner....just did not see it. Maybe i'll have to think about a spoon, should work way better dont ya think? They so not differ that much from each other now do they? Butteh...okidoki, my humour was a pitty mitty on the hot side of an Dutch potato, so yeah, i get the point. I really wonder why chicken, the one you buy in the supermarket, has so much water or chicken juice in the packaging. Right then...sorry i offended the hardcore fanboy's, wont do it again..i promise....-isch:p.

• Deleted member 113561

I know how they name resolutions, and I am not wrong.

Look up again what the resolution terms actually refer to. They dont refer to a 'range' like you imply. They refer to a specific resolution that becomes a standard. I will not be responding to you further as you have already proven time and again it is impossible to have dialogue.
Source or it is just wrong
Aaaaaand you just leave the discussion because you can't provide facts ... typical
I dont expect Pcars 2 to be any different in this regard. There will be a ton of dlc. And with SMS backing down to "180+" cars now, I see <100 included in the base game as being feasible.
Only speculation

How about some facts instead of some speculations? Can you provide some? Oh wait I forgot, as soon as you should or are requested to you just leave a discussion and accuse others of being incapable of having a dialogue ...

Doesn't make it any better.
If you make a game that is good enough for people to play for long long times, and give substantial upgrades I can see the use of an Expansion Pack (as I grew up with). However these pre-planned DLC's is awful.
I disagree - otherwise we would see games being delayed all the time, or everything would be already ready but they can't launch because they haven't finish all the content yet, even if there would be enough for a release already.
Its also a good money strategy and thereby if the game is good helps that the franchise (or IP) gets additional funds for improvements (patches, upgrades) or even sequels (ie. Project CARS 2).

From the recent posts on their twitter you seem to be referring to, they only say, "Be the driver. 180+ cars, most tracks on console."
That says nothing about how many are dlc. And is already backtracking on their earlier statement that there will be 200+ lol.
But, you can simply judge for yourself based on past history. Namely Pcars 1.
Pcars 1 had 65 cars in the base game, and 60 cars as dlc.

You took the example of pCARS 1. Now, try to remember their marketing claims back then. Did they say the game would include 120+ cars? They didn't, because counting some DLCs that are going to show up in twelve months would be absolutely ridiculous.

It's the same now. I also remember a statement from Ian Bell over at GTPlanet that DLC would put them comfortably in the 200s.
No company will tell you "You'll get 1000g worth of Peanut butter if you buy our new product" if they mean "You'll get 500g and will be able to buy the additional 500g in two years".
So, no, not feasible.

Of course they can pre-plan DLC but why tell about it already. It only creates bad publicity.

Wiser to have it ready and release a bit after launch, so nobody can say it should/could have been included in base release. They try to hog as many Season Pass buyers as early as possible, and in the process appear as greedy and deliberately holding back content from people who pay full price

Last edited:
I'm sorry but I absolutely hate things in the gaming industry like "limited edition" "pre-order bonuses" "not available for purchase unless ***". IMHO these are utter BS. I still remember 2 years ago I rushed to pre-order the first PCars game in order to get the pre-order bonus pack, and it turned out that I could still buy those cars after release.
I'm looking forward to hearing about DLC info about the rally stuff and oval stuff upcoming in PCars 2 though.
From my personal experience every exclusive preorder bonus I have ever received ends being given away or sold as dlc later.

With that said, this game is still decent at the time of this post. I hope it dont get patched away to please the "majority" arcade style users. I have the game. I cant say I like everything about it, but I like enough to recommend getting it.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 351 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 244 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%