PC2 First News of Project CARS 2 DLC Packs Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2 DLC and Pre Order Details Revealed.png

Well the game isn't out until around September 2017 but already we get our first look at some of the DLC due to be added to Project CARS 2 post go live later this year...

DLC or additional paid content is now seen as an essential way to extend the life expectancy and financial position of a game long after the original release, be it on console or PC and regardless of genre. Some love this new found industry policy and some yearn for the days of buying a physical disk in the shop and having the full and final package available from day one. However in 2017 DLC content post release is as inevitable as a poor Jeremy Clarkson pun or a misjudged Ferrari pitstop strategy, and Project CARS 2 will be no different from it's immediate PC and console rivals in that respect, with fresh news of some upcoming DLC packs that should be made available for the game once it releases toward the end of 2017.

Coming to light as part of the pre-order details surrounding the title, fans have now been made aware of two new DLC packs due to be added to the simulation and they contain a nice mix of iconic road and racing cars.

Following on from the trend started by Assetto Corsa, one of the packs coming to Project CARS 2 will focus on cars of a Japanese origin, with four attractive sounding machines from the land of the rising sun due to make their way to the sim, mixing up desirable road and race machines of both the real and concept car variety. The Japanese pack has come to light as it is due to form part of the package available to players who purchase the 'Project CARS 2 Ultra Edition' and as such individual DLC pack prices and release dates remain unannounced at this moment in time. You can check out the details of the cars due to be included below -

Japanese Car Pack:
  • Nissan’s infamous Group A R32 Skyline GT-R
  • Nissan’s sublime 280ZX GTX race car
  • The Euro-spec’ Honda Civic Type R, a modern day hot-hatch
  • Honda's 2&4 Concept Car—get a feel for the future with this 13,000rpm collaboration between automotive and motorcycle design that screams performance
As part of the same 'Ultra Edition' pre order deal, details of another exclusive release package have surfaced in the form of the Motorsports Pack DLC, however this collection of cars will not be released for the general public to purchase and will instead release as exclusive content to players who buy either the Ultra Edition, Collectors Edition or DLC Season Pass licence. Again containing four cars, the 'Motorsports Pack' is limited to some incredible racing cars of years past, from the 1974 Jaguar E-Type to the very recent TCR specification Opel (Vauxhall over here in Blighty) Astra TCR, a first official inclusion of a TCR specification car in a modern racing simulation. You can check out the contents of the exclusive 'Motorsports Pack' DLC below -

Motorsports Pack (Exclusive to Season Pass owners and/or Collector’s, and/or Ultra Edition owners).
  • The 1974 Jaguar E-Type V12, Group 44—beauty, speed, and an absolute motoring icon
  • The Panoz Esperante GTR-1—a ’90s GT stalwart
  • The Audi 1991 V8 DTM—a DTM legend with 460hp @ 9,500RPM
  • The 2016 Opel Astra TCR—a 300hp Touring Car monster
Additionally as has become normal practice in the gaming industry SMS will be making available a 'Season Pass' opportunity for gamers who anticipate purchasing all the DLC for Project CARS 2. Much like with other modern games, the Season Pass will be priced at a lower cost that purchasing each DLC individually and will make available all new DLCs plus some exclusive content mentioned above immediately upon release of the relevant pack.

Season Pass
"Project CARS 2 will be fully-supported post-launch with new, bold additional content featuring dozens of cars, as well as many tracks that will enhance and extend the overall experience. All these additional contents will be available to Season Pass holders the instant they are released at no charge"

For those of you interested in the limited edition 'Ultra Edition' Project CARS 2, the game is available to pre order on all platforms now and contains the following features:
  • Limited to only 1,000 copies
  • Includes the full Project CARS 2 game in an exclusively designed, premium-packaged Steelbook™ case, the world’s most sought-after collectable packaging
  • A 1/12 scale resin model car of the gorgeous McLaren 720S in one-off SMS-R Stealth Satin
  • The McLaren 720S Sketchbook: Take a unique journey through the development of this ground-breaking supercar. Exclusively created in partnership with the design team from McLaren, the book lifts the covers on the making of the 720S, including never-before-seen early sketches and models, clays and renders, and guides you all the way through to the final production of McLaren’s new supercar
  • The Project Cars 2 Art Book: A beautifully crafted book that takes you behind the scenes to reveal how the raw excitement of the racing world has been brought to life in the virtual realm. Featuring exclusive images taken throughout the development process, the 200-page book demonstrates the immense attention to detail that is the hallmark of the game, whilst showcasing the stunning new cars and true-to-life locations that make this the world’s premiere motorsports game
  • The Esport Live VIP Pass: Present this pass to any Slightly Mad Studios, or Bandai Namco staff member at Project CARS Esports live events anywhere in the world, and you will be treated to the full benefits that come from being a Project CARS VIP. Meet the team, jump to the front of the queue, or maybe even pick up some free swag!
  • An individually-numbered, embroidered Snapback cap
  • A stunning Project CARS 2 poster signed by the SMS team as well as the real-world drivers who make up Team SMS-R
  • A Project CARS 2 Sticker Sheet: Unique and stunning Project CARS, SMS-R, and Esports imagery and iconography
  • The exclusive Japanese Cars Pack. Revel in iconic JDM machinery with this added content that features four cars from iconic Japanese manufacturers Honda and Nissan:
  • Nissan’s infamous Group A R32 Skyline GT-R
  • Nissan’s sublime 280ZX GTX race car
  • The Euro-spec’ Honda Civic Type R, a modern day hot-hatch
  • Honda's 2&4 Concept Car—get a feel for the future with this 13,000rpm collaboration between automotive and motorcycle design that screams performance
  • The Season Pass: Project CARS 2 will be fully-supported post-launch with new, bold additional content featuring dozens of cars, as well as many tracks that will enhance and extend the overall experience. All these additional contents will be available to Season Pass holders the instant they are released at no charge
  • The Motorsport Pack*: Exclusively available to Season Pass holders, this exclusive, bonus pack of fan-favourite race cars includes:
  • The 1974 Jaguar E-Type V12, Group 44—beauty, speed, and an absolute motoring icon
  • The Panoz Esperante GTR-1—a ’90s GT stalwart
  • The Audi 1991 V8 DTM—a DTM legend with 460hp @ 9,500RPM
  • The 2016 Opel Astra TCR—a 300hp Touring Car monster
    *This content is not available for purchase, and only available to Season Pass holders, and/or Collector’s, and/or Ultra Edition owners

Project CARS 2 is scheduled for a release around September 2017 for both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 as well as on PC via the Steam network.

Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 1.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 21.jpg

Want to know more about Project CARS 2? Fancy chatting to fellow game enthusiasts about what is known so far, or simply just to speculate on what the game could feature on release? Well look no further! Head over to the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with the community discussion right now!

Like the look of the first announced DLC's? Any car strike your fancy particularly? Will you be digging deep in the pockets for the Ultra Edition of the game? Let us know in the comments section below!

Think they need to win back a bit more respect and the communities "trust/confidence" before this is going to have much widespread impact in sales.

£129.99 mmmmmmmmm
Will it likely be discounted 30-40% in only a few weeks when they don't sell enough of them?
Not saying its going to happen but good luck to SMS shifting these as a "WOW Must Have".

Last edited:
So ... first of all, hello everyone. My first post here.
I get that this place largely despises Project CARS and its developers because of some practices they've shown in the past - like that Wii U disaster or that ovals fail, where they've clearly bitten off more than they could chew. Or when they - after numerous delays - released a game that was broken in all kinds of ways.
I also get that first day DLCs are pretty much the dev saying "so, here's a few cars we created before release, but you won't be getting them unless you blow a few more bucks up our collective a**es."
Still, I don't quite understand the outrage about this particular stunt. I mean, I've even seen people here complaining that the car list was "too large to be a proper sim" (which is ridiculous, by the way) and now you are furious because eight cars are held back? Supposedly, this is money grabbing, but releasing a game with a minimum vanilla content is not? Assetto Corsa or rFactor2 had far less content at release, and Assetto Corsa then continued to throw out DLCs so that, if you bought them all, you could get a satisfying car and track list, AND ONLY THEN.

Project CARS 2 has, as I understand it, more licensed content than any other sim out there. Especially in terms of tracks. I don't think it's that awful to make some people - willingly - pay a bit more by leaving out the astounding amount of eight cars when you have 180 cars already in the game.

Also, please remember SMS' DLC policy last time. While Kunos actually separated the online community with their DLCs, SMS allowed everyone to drive DLC cars - if only the host had bought them. I've run a few lobbies where I was the only one owning, say, the 1965 Indycar, and still, fiveo other people could drive it. If they were as greedy as you claim, this wouldn't quite be the way to go.

What I'm trying to say: Calm down a bit. They've made eight cars you won't get on release day unless you pay a bit more. That's all that happened. Yet, you'll still get more cars than in any other sim. Maybe they also need this additional income to pay for all the other licences they've acquired?

Out of curiosity how much is the Ultra Edition?

I can see £129.99 for the Collectors version, £49.99 for the limited.

As already mentioned the model in the Ultra is a TSM resin model, well those are mostly £200+ all by themselves and this is a 1/12 scale!

EDIT: Found it. $699 for the Ultra Edition (Australian site). So about £400-£450 if you're in the UK. Now that is expensive but a 1/12 resin model usually costs around £300-£350 so actually it represents better value than the Collectors edition! Still ain't paying for it though. lol

Last edited:
@Dicra
I think plenty of people are calm, they just dont like the way SMS have operated in the past and to be fair they have not exactly redeemed themselves. More people would probably prefer quality in content with a properly working title than loads of content/features and a broken title (again).

Thats for me what P Cars 2 has to prove in having, flash graphics wont cut it this time, nor a zillion DLC cars.

Last edited:
Hello,

i bought Pcars1 and i was compleatly stunned from low quality of the UI menü and the way you had to handle your setting for the car and track you wanted to drive. Most of my gamingtime in Pcars1 went into configuring the car and triing to learn the FFB settings. If once upon a time you got the correct configuration you had a chance for driving ... and driving was fun with nice grafics

The fact that the Pcars1 project was stopped from developping because they recognized that its too much effort and money to fix all of the mistakes is a wise descition after a lot of bad descition taken during devtime. What says me that this wont happen in Pcars2?

On the other hand i am wondering why i should buy the limited edition with some special cars if ill never have the chance to race with it because only 1k people got it? Ok i could do a hillclimb ... but the basic idea should be racing ...

I'll personally wait for the first reports and maybe ill have the chance to try the game before buying it

cheers

@Graham Botha: Reported for spreading lies and hatred.
95% of what you say is straight out wrong and lies.

O'k so I am well known for not being politically correct and sugar coating vegetables to get kids to eat them... So I am reported for spreading "Hate and lies" based on my own experience around the original Project Cars life cycle? Which, I may add, is not unique should you read through these threads. I would guess we aren't entitled to share our experiences, opinions or how some of us may feel that we were taken advantage of based on certain expectations that were set by SMS and our actual experiences with those expectations not being realized for PC1. Not to mention our valid concerns that the reality may exist somewhere in the universe that it could possibly happen again... If our expressions thereof are perhaps more colorful than some may appreciate, then rather move along peacefully and find another bridge to inhabit.
I don't hate SMS, I don't hate PC. Strangely enough, if one reads my post (without any prejudice that is), that was not implied or explicitly stated and I never even hinted that someone else should refrain from purchasing the product at all. PC does some things very well (awesome VR, weather, nice career mode, sh!t force feedback FACT) and its probably the most beautiful race game on the market albeit still flawed. But to me AND many others it was a grave disappointment, having backed and closely followed that project from inception. My experience with it was like dating a lobotomized supermodel. Great to look at and awesome to brag about when it comes to your mates while having a pint, but not much when it comes to having a conversation and its a real b!tch to drag around having limited motor function (excuse the pun :roflmao:) - because its broken and was never fixed to the level we had hoped for, prayed for or paid for.
I wrote my point of view above based on actual events, my actual experiences with the product that I purchased (JIC I forgot to mention that microbial detail), my perception of acceptable business ethics and my own support experiences with SMS, which was not exactly sterling for a product I paid actual A-Grade release title money for (not to mention purchasing ALL the DLC when they were released, hoping that it would aid the title in getting sorted out instead of mostly funding PC2 in the process - A.K.A the paid PC2 BETA comment). Guess that makes me a hater too :cry:. Heaven forbid that the money I spent or the 130+ hours I invested in PC before giving it up as a bad job or the fact that I haven't uninstalled it yet, label me as a fanboy or the AC guys are going to have my head on a plate and I'm scared sh!tless of those RFactor2 guys because lightning may smite me down for clearly stating that RF2 is not my thing but it has great physics;). (Was that perhaps one of my lies or did I get that wrong? Its all so confusing...) Do you even consider why the RF2 guys are hardcore and stick to their product of choice like a jaundiced pitbull even after years of slow development and it being a difficult modding platform with limited content? Because the base of RF2 from a physics engine perspective is ROCK SOLID and when the developer couldn't come to the party around promised content and ongoing platform development, they got someone involved who could deliver to save their product. (Really sorry I'm off topic - this mental illness thing really doesn't help you know).
So... I sincerely hope they get it right as the features being showcased look very promising, as they did when PC1 was marketed - Hence the references to the "milking machine" all over this thread. The proof of the pudding is in the eating however and as a result of our experiences some of us may be somewhat lactose intolerant. Perhaps we just don't like to feel like domesticated financial bovine - who knows I'm speaking for myself here. BUT it is my choice to not to purchase it out of the gate, based on my own actual experiences with PC1 and SMS, which may differ from yours as you may have gotten on the PC roller-coaster after many issues were sorted...Who knows...Who cares... It is also my right (as is yours) to share my views and experiences with a community of like minded individuals that I support in more ways than just slapping a keyboard about on the forums.
Your choice or any other participant in this thread's choices regarding these matters on the other hand are just that, your choices - and that is what it is. It has as much significance in my world as my choices have on yours. Report everyone who you don't agree with as much as you like. In life you may not agree with the views of many people, but repetitive stress injuries are a b!tch because we need that right-click finger for nose picking :laugh:.

I am curious though... of the "95% straight out wrong and lies:sneaky:" given I clearly haven't had any experience in this... (was it the big bang thing or the resurrection of Lazarus that gave me away?) What is the ratio of "lies" versus "straight out wrong"? Also the missing 5% wasn't exactly clarified and leaves me somewhat concerned that my technique may be lacking not having gotten the 100% achievement and I am an achiever. Would that be the hatred:devilish: that I spread or would that perhaps be a faint flicker of truth that might have snuck in under the radar when no one was watching :whistling:? Also seeing that much of this thread not echoing a sterling embrace of PC2 and day one DLC thing for a myriad of reasons, would that make us all trolls, haters or fanboys because our points of view don't reflect your own perception? That most certainly mimics very much something Alex Townsend was labeled as... I just wonder what that was again?

Small side note: If Alex Townsend or anyone else for that matter prefers one vendor's product above a another product because they perceive that vendor's business practices to be more ethical than those of another or any other reason that is in line with what they find acceptable, kindly respect that :speechless:.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face today. I really enjoyed this.

@Dicra
More people would probably prefer quality in content with a properly working title than loads of content/features and a broken title (again).
I understand that. I also understand the concerns, after all, the first one was in development for a longer time, had less content and less features, and there wasn't much that worked flawlessly (or even in an acceptable way).
However, I don't see why these pre-order options would be a reason to lose interest in this title (a sentiment shown throughout this thread).

While I don't like these annoucements before the actual release. I don't understand some people's logic.

The games today cost like 60 USD. If the development takes, let's say 3 years, and art team manages to create 100 cars, they put it in the game. But if the team manages to build 200 cars, because there is other work to be done before release in other departments, should they all be included in the base game with the same price? I don't understand why. Studio/producer says what the content offered costs and customer either accepts it or not. If the development takes 6 years and there will be 400 cars included, would you pay, I don't know, 120 USD? No, the games generally cost 60USD and studio puts in game content worth these 60 USD for them. The rest, regardless date when it was made, is to be sold in another package.

Now it's up to us if the content offered is worth our money.

No one is holding anyone to ransom if they are not buying pCARS 2 or the DLC, you pay your money (or not) and make a choice.
I doubt I'll buy any 'special editions' because I could care less about the posters and such, while I can build my own models (Southern Cross Miniatures!), especially when one looks at the currency conversion rates the cost (in A$, the 'Pacific Peso') is ridiculous.
Perhaps I'm odd, but I quite like pCARS 1 and I will ante up for the bog standard pCARS 2, along with any DLC that I like the look of.
Life is all about choice, right or wrong.
Suck it up people.
;)

What I'm trying to say: Calm down a bit. They've made eight cars you won't get on release day unless you pay a bit more. That's all that happened. Yet, you'll still get more cars than in any other sim. Maybe they also need this additional income to pay for all the other licences they've acquired?

Hi welcome :)

You are right as PC1 also had DLC on day one. It has a lot of potential but I believe a lot of us that got our fingers burned with PC1 being early adopters, would really like to hold out for a while to ensure it does not happen again. SMS did some good things with PC1 but made some mistakes too. We really hope they learned from them and bring a more solid title to the party, making investing in the game and additional DLC much more rewarding.

Here's to holding thumbs

idiots will still pre order digital content and are happy to give away their money on something they have no idea of the quality

why would anyone pre order something without knowing the price?

prob be around £100+ just for the LE, no way i buy a video game for that, especially considering the problems the first game had

Last edited:
While I don't like these annoucements before the actual release. I don't understand some people's logic.

The games today cost like 60 USD. If the development takes, let's say 3 years, and art team manages to create 100 cars, they put it in the game. But if the team manages to build 200 cars, because there is other work to be done before release in other departments, should they all be included in the base game with the same price? I don't understand why. Studio/producer says what the content offered costs and customer either accepts it or not. If the development takes 6 years and there will be 400 cars included, would you pay, I don't know, 120 USD? No, the games generally cost 60USD and studio puts in game content worth these 60 USD for them. The rest, regardless date when it was made, is to be sold in another package.

Now it's up to us if the content offered is worth our money.
The thing is, everybody is now doing things like "hey you have to preorder or you won't be able to get *** cars". Why can only a fraction of players who get the chance to buy the preorder to enjoy the work done by those art people? If there are people who are late to the party but want those cars, why are they missing the cars because they missed the preorder? We appreciate the works done by the art people. We would happily pay for DLCs to support those art people. We respect them to our full extent. I think who don't really respect their work is their executives who make decisions of preorder bonuses which limit the access to the fantastic works done by art people.

Imagine you go to a dealer and lease a new 20k Toyota Corolla. They say the next gen Corolla is coming, and they show you some fancy pictures of the new model. Although you only look for a set of wheels but you are a bit moved by the new model. Then they say you can put a 18k down payment RIGHT NOW so you can get a prestige case for your car jack, fancy vinyl stickers, a Toyota coloring book for your kid, and they will make sure you are among the first people to get the car when the new model is released 5 months or 6 months later. All bonuses are available only RIGHT NOW. Why? Because your 18k down payment is paying respect for people who designed the body of the new Corolla. They are just waiting for engineers to finish testing the handling.

Last edited:
I hate those "exclusive" content offers as much as others. That's not what I was talking about, though.

Anyway, if I recall well from some games I own, the "exclusivity" is often (always?) just temporary. Were there actually some really exclusive cars in PC1, that you couldn't buy later or in another pack? I don't know.

I understand that. I also understand the concerns, after all, the first one was in development for a longer time, had less content and less features, and there wasn't much that worked flawlessly (or even in an acceptable way).
However, I don't see why these pre-order options would be a reason to lose interest in this title (a sentiment shown throughout this thread).

Well suppose that's good you understand..... ;)
When PCars2 is a proven winner and without all the issues of the first title then I have no doubts it will be a huge hit. For me personally, I won't be pre-ordering or buying it till that is assured.

I do hope however it turns out excellent.

Last edited:
And you say that because you already tested the released version of Project CARS 2? ...

P.s. Project CARS 1 is excellently optimized - AMD GPUs running on low FPS was AMDs fault - it is common knowledge that at that time AMD was pretty much not optimizing game drivers

Oh yeah sure, when SHIFT 1, SHIFT 2 Unleashed has this bug ever since Slightly Mad Engine came out and it still exist on pCARS and it will be on the 2nd game for sure... again.

And no, don't call that "that's not because of bad optimization" it is part of it - and you know it. Cause if it wasn't then this should have been optimized after SHIFT 2, but no - its still on pCARS.

• Deleted member 113561

Quote too long
Its not about HOW you write - its the content which is in 95% of the cases straight out WRONG

I make some examples here:
1. SLI-Support: How many games do support SLI these days - you know that SMS/PCARS did never advertise SLI-support. For SLI Nvidia is mostly responsible. Its a fact that single GPU Project CARS is working properly and is very well optimized. CPU wise probably one of the best optimized DX11 games ever.
2. AMD GPU bad performance: This is 95% AMDs fault. It is a known fact that their drivers were extremely bad optimized for games around that time.
3. BMW LMRv12 at LeMans - your problem is a very rare problem and probably SLI related - me and 1000s of others can just drive fine on that combo. There will always be bugs which one very few can replicate in all games.
4. Project CARS 1 was NO Kickstarter. It was crowdfunding and they were FORCED to stop because what they did was not totally legal (that was legally not clear beforehand) - they could keep the money though.
Thats one of the reasons you don't have crowdfunding for Project CARS 2. Additionally you don't pay into a beta per se. You buy products and get the Development access (NOT BETA - this is prealpha access since Build 001) - otherwise probably it would be illegal.

etc.

Oh yeah sure, when SHIFT 1, SHIFT 2 Unleashed has this bug ever since Slightly Mad Engine came out and it still exist on pCARS and it will be on the 2nd game for sure... again.

And no, don't call that "that's not because of bad optimization" it is part of it - and you know it. Cause if it wasn't then this should have been optimized after SHIFT 2, but no - its still on pCARS.
What has this to do with the original quote? WTF

Sure PCARS has a lot of bugs, thats a fact. But people tend to exaggerate a lot.
You can't fix ALL BUGS anyways. No game is 100% bug free - its pretty much impossible.
Shown bug is a small annoyance, nothing game breaking here. Afair it happens only with AI.
Bugs that are really problematic would be: Camber bug & Multiplayer slots bug

Btw some other sims (ie. iRacing) have much worse bugs than this.
Example: In iRacing there is still a bug from pre1997 where you cant properly brake and steer at the same time. It is game breaking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure PCARS has a lot of bugs, thats a fact. But people tend to exaggerate a lot.
You can't fix ALL BUGS anyways. No game is 100% bug free - its pretty much impossible.

Oh really? SMS is known to be lazy on fixing bugs - and I don't need to point it all out since there's a huge community who did fix them and not SMS. So if you are going to claim "You can't fix it" - no, you can cause some people did and they weren't even involved with the development of the game on the first place.

And if you don't know what I mean, then I'll leave it there and think about it.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 232 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 8.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.3%