First impressions and some questions

Hi all!

I've been away quite some time from racing all in all but been anticipating AC, because I was always amazed by netKar.
After about 6 hours of driving it I still cant really be certain what I think hehe =)

I wasnt at all blown away by the FFB and physics as I was by netKar, for sure. But after boosting FFB to about 150% in game it feels better for me. Also I must say it grows on me the more I drive it, but still not super impressed. I'm not talking about realism I might mention, more about detailed FFB and immersion based on my taste.
Fav car must be the ferrari.
Biggest let down (incidentally also the car I was most excited about) must be the lotus 49. FFB doesnt feel detailed and my wheel is banging too hard.
Sounds, better and worse depending on car. The formula abarth is quite terrible, sounds as I'm constantly in super low revs. Any sound mod out for that one?

I managed to remove the info boxes while driving. Anyone know how to get them back?
Is assettocorsa.net the best source to look for info on what's getting updated when and so on?

Any info on how long until som sort of multiplayer might be added?

I don't know why people moan about the FFB, it's great. Most realistic road car feel I've felt in a game, probably because they refused to add canned/faked effects.

I thought all FFB effects were "fake". It simulates things that would occur in reality in the car perhaps, but forces that normally are not felt through the steering wheel but from g-forces and other stuff.

For myself I dont really care what effects in the FFB are true to reality as long as it gives me a positive immersion in the car.

I thought all FFB effects were "fake". It simulates things that would occur in reality in the car perhaps, but forces that normally are not felt through the steering wheel but from g-forces and other stuff.

For myself I dont really care what effects in the FFB are true to reality as long as it gives me a positive immersion in the car.

The issue with me though is that when I jump out of my car and jump into the sim I want to feel the same wheel feel. I have a bunch of non-gamer friends who are definitely not sim racers but are car enthusiasts.

Their first reaction to FFB is "wtf is the wheel doing, why is it doing that" and I explain " it lets you know what the car is doing" and they say it doesnt feel like a real car. They eventually get used to it, one of my mates was over for a social meetup and a drink, a carpenter who never really uses a computer, doesn't own a console and doesnt play games. He gave it a go and was quickly able to adapt and was actually very fast on iRacing within 15mins of playing (albiet, MX5 at Lime Rock). But he still said, well it was fun but it's nothing like a real car.

And they're right, while you do feel the tyres through the wheel of a real car it isn't like our typical FFB. For years it has been accepted as the game FFB providing extra details to help us, but personally I don't necessarily think that is the right way.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the FFB in Assetto Corsa, there can always be tweaks, but a lot of that can come down to the individual wheel hardware and how you set it up.

I use a G27.

Well the F458 ABS FF effect felt very canned to me.

In real life I don't feel much via the steering when ABS is active. Maybe a soft sine wave type pulsing, subtle underlying the dead weight of the steering... but not the sharp-edged clattering I felt in AC in that car.

For me it might all be settings related, but if that is the case then AC should be advising is explicitly what settings to use to get the correct feel.

If the FF feels bad then only AC team are to blame. They need to tell us how to use their product right, or utilise systems so we can't use it incorrectly.

Ie, an FF set-up screen/calibration utility or something?

Something I really hope they add given that for 99% of users, a good FF wheel is as good as it'll get for them for interfacing with the physics engine. It should be an area where they really focus some effort rather than perpetual screenshots.

Dave

Well the F458 ABS FF effect felt very canned to me.

In real life I don't feel much via the steering when ABS is active. Maybe a soft sine wave type pulsing, subtle underlying the dead weight of the steering... but not the sharp-edged clattering I felt in AC in that car.

For me it might all be settings related, but if that is the case then AC should be advising is explicitly what settings to use to get the correct feel.

If the FF feels bad then only AC team are to blame. They need to tell us how to use their product right, or utilise systems so we can't use it incorrectly.

Ie, an FF set-up screen/calibration utility or something?

Something I really hope they add given that for 99% of users, a good FF wheel is as good as it'll get for them for interfacing with the physics engine. It should be an area where they really focus some effort rather than perpetual screenshots.

Dave
The force feedback feels great and everyone is happy about it. Your posts are getting pretty pathetic, though.

Speak for yourself from now on.

Last edited:
I have to admit that firstly I didn't like Vallalunga. Now I can understand why they got an office there. It has got everything - fast corners, 3rd gear corners, some tight narrow corners like on Austrian and Italian Alps roads...
Great fun with 458 and M3...

A couple of things that've been bugging me:
1. Photo mode - you can move the camera around freely, you can even take aerial shots of the whole circuit (surprise, surprise - the oval at Monza isn't finished completely) and pressing CTRL speeds up the camera movement. What I'd like to be added however is another key that SLOWS the camera down. I wanted to make some "macro" shots of the dashboard, but I couldn't make such small and precise movements to get the camera closer (and the FOV kind of distorts the view).
2. Profile screen with the best laptimes table - why does it show only 6 of all cars available? Is that table somehow scrollable?
3. There's a radio app in the dev apps and there's a "music" directory in *\Documents\Assetto Corsa - coincidence? :D Does it mean that app plays a "radio station" consisting of any mp3s we throw in there (just like in GTA)?
4. Photo mode again. I know it's not fully "released" yet (the whole game isn't, but that's another story) and probably a lot of stuff is going to change, but we could use some tooltips explaining all of the parameters and putting the values into context (like what's the difference between DOF factor at 5 and 50).

My thoughts on AC so far:

- no tweaking so far, everything worked out of the box
- I like it much more than NKP which is hard to learn
- looks like you don't have to "learn" how to drive it, it's so intuitive
- I can't stop watching replays, they look awesome
- I can't stop driving Formula Abarth, it's so adictive
- you can push hard and still feel confident, no unpredictable car behavior

The best sim I've tried so far. I can't help it, but everytime I drive a sim I get fed up after longer period of driving because something starts bothering me - car behavior, ffb, ... Not in this, it just works. I stop driving it because I've been driving it for so long. Looking forward to future updates. :geek:

Last edited:
Mine works 'ok' but I needed to increase filtering notably to remove the clattering kinda feeling when coming to a full stop under 15mph or so with abs.

Not sure though if that's removing some 'feel' on kerbs etc at higher speeds.

AC seems to default these to zero but they seem better with some added in the condition mentioned.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back