Fiat 131 & Mini 1310 @ Oulton Park - Tues Dec 7th 2010

Carlos Diaz

Happily driving a "girly" car
flyermix.jpg

Servername: RD GTL RACING CLUB
Class: Mixed
Vehicles:
Race1: Mini Cooper 1310 (download)
Race2: Fiat Abarth 131 (download) New gearing for 131 (Download)
Track: Oulton Park
Start Time: 20.00 GMT
Practice: 20 mins
Qualification: 10 mins - (ONE TIMED LAP)
Race: 16 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: This is a NON Rankings Point event.
Note3: Default skins that are included with the mods.

Setups:

Attachments

• CDAbarth131.svm
    2.4 KB · Views: 286
  • cd1310.svm
    2.4 KB · Views: 269
one BIG advice to everyone! dont, I repeat DO NOT drive behind Senad more than 3 laps! Overtake him fast or just let him be, because he has the ability of makes you nervous and he makes you lost all your concentration! Be careful...

Nah, I had fun :D Amazing start, pushed by someone onto grass so I lost my first turn, I was fighting got into the lead of train, made mistake lost everything, started to catch all the slow drivers from the back, first Hans then Jack then Senad, who was faster enough to make me nervous, made another mistake, lost him started to catch him again, curbs made me spun, lost Jack, another mistake, another, car ruined lost Hans, another and another mistake... until Senad I had very nice and clean ride, dunno what he did to me??? Maybe some non-earth stuff in his car... I lost everything again :p but finished ahead of Ryan so I am satisfied :D

one BIG advice to everyone! dont, I repeat DO NOT drive behind Senad more than 3 laps! Overtake him fast or just let him be, because he has the ability of makes you nervous and he makes you lost all your concentration! Be careful...

:tongue:

In that lap when you were right behind me, I improved my fastest lap by a whole second :D

Had fun, as usual. Jumped right into quali without a single lap done, a rally event ended minutes before. Wasn't that bad, still managed to drive close to my regular crowd. Jack was faster, but he made some mistakes, so I was in front at the end.

The second race was more exciting, I love the Abarth :). Ondrej was also faster, about 1-2 seconds per lap, but he couldn't keep it on the road :tongue:. Was playing it safe most of the time, afraid of the kerbs, and barriers, but when he was right behind me, I braked way later everywhere. Was a scary lap or two, but like I said, got a second out of it :)

Lost my little Mini in lap 8 just after S/F line an put it in to the wall, engine dead race over,but had 8 laps of fun..

R2 outbreak my self in the first slow right hander an start on p12 all over had some nice fights with Senad an Jack ,he was 6-7 sec in front but must have lost his car an I could pass Jack in the last lap, fin. on p9 I think but again much fun.

Thanks Carlos for setting it up an Grats to Ryan for R1 an Stuart for R 2 ,thanks all guys for racing..

Well it hard to put into words just how much fun we seem to get in the GTL club along with great racing.

Race 1, had a rubbish quali but made up for it at the start. Had a great race in the end only making a mistake around 2 laps from the end which allowed Warren to pass me, doh.

Race 2, another great start, follow Nige for most of the race untill he had a moment touching the grass. Took the lead but the every present Thommo was & had been closing the gap from the early laps untill once again I made my 1 & only mistake with around 2 laps to go which allowed Thommo to go by so we duked it out over the remaining laps & we crossed the line with a mere 10th between us.

Thanks again goes to Carlos for putting these great cars on a great track, grts to Ryan & Thommo on their wins & thanks to all the drivers that showed up to make it a brilliant nights racing as is the GTL club.

Wow, that was certainly worth getting out of bed early for. The GTL Club always make for fun racing, but this was top shelf, great little cars that are sooo different, and this Oulton Park track is brilliant. :star:

Race 1, Mini: Always love this little box, aptly described by Bob (I think) as a ferrett. :)
Qualified P2 behind Ryan, and even started ok (ish) by my lousy standards. Held p2 comfortably for a few laps but then I managed another of my circus acts in the tight chicane. Bounced it off the curb (DOH!!) and flipped it way into the air and bounced off the brick wall, and then managed a few more flips with double axel and pike, before finally landing again, dazed but still alive. The poor Mini looked very ugly now, but like the tough little trooper it is, off we went again. Managed to catch and pass Bob, thanks to him letting me by (on the last couple of laps again :tongue: ). Finally finished P3.

Race 2, Fiat: I love this car, but still haven't worked out how to drive it properly though. It's also hard to get used to the massive understeer, compared to the Mini.
Qualified P5, and again managed a better start. Somehow avoided Ryan spinning across track after turn 1, then Carlos having a wild moment in the hairpin, placing me a very surprising P3. Even more surprisingly, I was somehow hanging on to Bob in front for many laps. However, for most of those laps, I had Stuart and Carlos having a huge scrap in my mirrors. The three of us raced within inches of each other for many laps (and no paint was marked either :) ) but it was only a matter of time before they both nipped past. As Carlos sneaked inside me at the difficult hairpin, he rolled it off the curb. This gave me a comfortable gap ahead of him, and Nigel went for a visit to the scenery, and I found myself back in P3 again. :eek:
A comfortable gap meant nothing to Carlos, who had now lit the after-burners and was simply flying. He gobbled me up and slipped past over the closing lap, so I finished P4, better than I deserved. Great racing though. :D

Thanks to Carlos for organising, and special thanks to the guys on TS, we had lots of laughs. :thumb:

Enjoyable as always. In race1 I qualified 7th and worked hard to get myself back to last spot by T2 of lap 1. Ended up on my roof and so began the lonely fight to catch up. Slowly caught up to, fought with, and passed Senad only to be passed by him near the end. Well done Senad.

Race2. Took me about 7 laps to feel confortable (the braking spots ). Completely messed up some of the sharp corners with cars behind me and did the old 5th to 1st grear trick in T1 at one point. Had a good little battle with Hans for the latter part of the race. Cheers Hans.

Well done to the winners, thanks as alway ... the organizers Carlos/ Stu and to all racers see you next time.

Again, as seems to alomost be the norm for me, very much a game of two halves.

Race1

Had a decent, if definitely not race winning, pace. Settled in about 4th (?) or so behind Ryan, Warren & Nige from memory, and felt comfortable enough there. Made a couple of minor errors, the worst being missing a shift and getting 1st instead of 3rd exiting Cascades, letting through (iirc) Hutch, Paul J & Amir. Got back on it and closed back up pretty sharply, made a move on Amir at Druid's by staying tight on entry but it all went the shape of a pear and this was the accident Amir mentions. I've checked my replay and don't believe it was my fault, but as is my standard operating procedure, I waited for him to get back on. I was right near the back now and started pushing pretty hard to catch people up, and was having some success until I dropped a wheel off the outside kerb on T1, and I speared off into the wall on the right and killed the engine, while flipping over the fence. Race over.

Race 2
Quallied OK again (5th ish?) got an OK start, and after Ryan lost control and Alex had his off, we settled into the race that Warren mentions, Nige, Hutch, Warren, me & Carlos. Really tight, hard but clean racing between the 5 of us at various points in the race, but - as Warren mentions - zero contact. Knowing how fast the Diaz is in these things, I chose to ignore him and concentrate on Warren, as I reckoned that Carlos'd get by sooner or later so he wasn't who I was actually racing. After a couple or three laps, I got past Warren at (I think) the Island hairpin, me dropping to 1st to keep a really tight line, and getting good enough drive to be into Hizzy's and out of Knickerbrook first. From there, I could see Carlos & Warren having a right old ding dong in my mirror, which I think allowed me to pull away a bit more than I would have on either one if they had been on their own. Checked the gaps on XD and I was now P3, 4 sec behind Nige and about 3 sec behind Hutch. I started slowly reeling them in by a couple of tenths per split and I put in a set of quickish, but more importantly consistent laptimes, and I was within a sec of Hutcho's rear bumper. Just when I was thinking about whther I'd be able to get past Hutch, Nige just dropped a rear on the grass at Cascades, and went off, leaving Hutch in the lead and me closing on him, but only marginally.

It was one of those where we were so closely matched that any slight speed difference we had certainly wasn't enough to make a decisive pass, so it had to be one of us making a mistake if positions were to change. Unluckily for him, and luckily for me, Hutch had a wobble and then just caught a bit of grass exiting Knickerbrook, allowing me past with a lap and a half to run, which I managed to hold to the end. I managed to drop into the 1.36's (1.36.9) during the race, which I thought was pretty decent until I saw Carlos managed the fastest lap with a 1.36.2 - that boy can drive a Fiat.

One of the best ever GTL races for me, and that's up against some pretty stiff competition. Top cars, great circuit, clean hard driving - top notch.

Thanks to Carlos for arranging, RD for hosting & the gentlemen of the GTL Racing Club for turning up and making a top evenings entertainment.

Had a great time last night racing for the first time with you guys! :)

Race 1 - Was surprised to be reasonably competitive in the Mini and took 5th place in qually. I had a tentative start but found my pace after a few laps. Saw a few people going off in front and behind and tried to stay on track and consistent. It seemed to work and I took a comfortable 5th place in the end.

Race 2 - I hadn't driven the Fiat much up until last night so wasn't expecting to do so well. Qualified in 9th place after a mistake in my timed lap and was a bit slow off the mark at the start. I also overshot turn 3 on lap 1 which put me at the back I think. Spent the rest of the race trying to catch everyone and made up quite a few places after accidents, retirements and offs from others. Finished 6th.

Really enjoyed the evening and you all seem like a great bunch of guys to race with! :wink:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back