FIA Formula 2 2009

R.I.P Henry Surtees

I think this is appropriate to post this here as we're all motorsport fans and quite a few of you RD guys were there today.

Henry Surtees, the son of 1964 Formula 1 world champion John Surtees, has died following an accident in a Formula 2 race at Brands Hatch on Sunday.

During the second of the weekend's races, the 18-year-old was struck on the head by a wheel and tyre from the car of Jack Clarke, who had spun into the wall exiting Westfield Bend.

Surtees was knocked unconscious in the accident and his car failed to negotiate the following Sheene Corner, running straight off the track and into the barrier.

Medical crews were swiftly on the scene to extract Surtees from the car, before he was taken to the track's medical centre. He was stabilised at the circuit's facility before being airlifted to the Royal London hospital.

A spokesperson for the hospital this evening confirmed that Surtees had died from his injuries.

Surtees graduated to F2 this season from Formula Renault and had taken his first podium finish in the series with third place in Saturday's race at Brands Hatch.

His step up to the category came after several seasons in karts, which included victory in the Junior Gearbox Championship in 2005, before a graduation to car racing in the Ginetta Junior Championship in 2006.

He switched to single seaters in 2007, taking a race victory in Formula BMW UK for Carlin Motorsport en route to seventh overall in the standings - and second in the rookie cup.

He also made a brief foray into the Formula Renault UK championship that year, contesting the final two rounds at Thruxton as well as the Winter Series.

In 2008 he remained in Formula Renault, taking 12th in the final standings before finishing runner-up in the Winter Series with one victory and three podiums from four races. He also contested last year's British Formula 3 season finale in a National Class car for Carlin, taking one victory and one podium.
Source: autosport.com

I dont think i have to mention that all thoughts from RD go out to the family and friends of Henry Surtees. Truly sad thing to have happened today.

Attachments

• 1248034962.jpg
    1248034962.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 235
Well yes but they arent on F2 cars because Surtees wheel also came off when he hit the barrier. Im sure they'll be tethered for the next race, thats if they feel the cars are safe enough to carry on with the season.

Henry Surtees dies in F2 accident

The 18-years-old F2 driver, soon of John Surtees, died today because the injuries caused by the impact of a flying wheel from a previous accident.

This is terrible news for all motorsports fans.

Our condolences to family and friends from Media Team and all RD community.

R.I.P.

Attachments

• henry.jpg
    henry.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 183
RIP & Condolences to his family & friends.

I feel there is a serious design flaw that no one thought to tether the wheels to the car and the lesson has been learnt in the hardest way possible. We were all at Surtees of all corners when the ambulance came down from the GP loops to the medical center..

To a very sad end to what was otherwise a great day of racing.

Terrible news. One of those things that we are always worried about as there is a limit to how the head can be protected.

Very sad day and my thoughts go out to his loved ones.

R.I.P young Henry :(.

Oh, man. I dont know what to say.

Rob, the season must go on, in memory of Henry and in the spirit of racing. And also, this has nothing with the cars safety structure to do, just loads of things going wrong in the same time, just very bad luck.
As Simon said, Only F1 cars have tethered wheels and we have not seen anything like this in F1 nor F3, Formula BMW etc...

RIP Henry Surtees

This is just tragic. I guess with modern single-seaters, we now hardly see any fatal accidents but events like this remind us how risky motorsport is, and how brave these people are.

Oh, man. I dont know what to say.

Rob, the season must go on, in memory of Henry and in the spirit of racing. And also, this has nothing with the cars safety structure to do, just loads of things going wrong in the same time, just very bad luck.
As Simon said, Only F1 cars have tethered wheels and we have not seen anything like this in F1 nor F3, Formula BMW etc...

RIP Henry Surtees

I know but the FIA are gonna be giving Williams a hard time as to why there's no tethers on them wheels

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back