1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

FIA bans DRS for Monaco tunnel and Eau Rouge

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Günthar Rowe, May 21, 2011.

1. The overtaking ’DRS’ system will be banned completely in the Monaco tunnel and Spa-Francorchamps’ fearsome Eau Rouge.

But the FIA is pushing ahead with allowing the wings to be used on the curving front ’straight’ in the Principality next weekend, despite the opposition of GPDA chairman Rubens Barrichello and many fellow drivers.

"All the drivers except Michael Schumacher think it is too dangerous in Monaco," the Brazilian is quoted as saying by Auto Motor und Sport. "Maybe Michael thinks he has a technical advantage."

In fact, Lewis Hamilton is also looking forward to using DRS on the famous barrier-lined streets.

"If you don’t want to use it you don’t have to," said the Briton.

The FIA’s Charlie Whiting is unapologetic for allowing DRS in Monaco.

"It would be wrong to ban an overtaking aid at a circuit where it could be most useful," he is quoted as saying in Barcelona.

In the tunnel, however, it will be banned altogether on safety grounds, and the same will apply at Belgium’s Eau Rouge.

The in-race Monaco DRS zone will be across the finish line, but Sebastian Vettel thinks there is "not enough space" for overtaking moves there.

"There will be some overtaking in Monte Carlo," thinks Hamilton, "but not much."

But in Canada and Valencia, the FIA is planning not one but two DRS zones apiece for those circuits.

2. Omer Said

Omer Said
    Weresloth Staff Premium Member

What a shame that modern drivers are less brave than their ancestors. They were driving coffins on 4 wheels! You are in the most modern machines which have 1000s of security measures!

I hope we will see drs in Monaco, otherwise overtaking is really hard there.

3. Indeed, but don't forget to many people lost their lives back in the day of the F1 Roots, they have come to love & treasure the safety measures this century rather then taking a step back & putting lives on the line once again they would rather upset a few driver's to ensure safety these days.

4. Omer Said

Omer Said
    Weresloth Staff Premium Member

Of course you are right. My word was to the pilots who exxaggerate it. For example Mr. Barrichello :)

5. I see what you mean, it would be fantastic tho to let the driver's be more lose on the track without any cause for concern, unfortunatly that won't happen.

6. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour
    #99 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs

Why am I not surprised :D

7. Bruno Sousa Ferreira

Bruno Sousa Ferreira
    Strategy Mister!

I just want to see a race without the DRS (in a normal track), I think there will still be large number of overtakes due to the tyres, and we might find out that we don't need the DRS.

8. Xosé Estrada

Xosé Estrada
    Premium Member

Every simracer knows what happens if you loose the car in Eau Rouge :)

9. James Johnson

James Johnson
    The Weatherman

Yep 30 flips and rolls and a gold medal for winning the high jump competition.

10. James Chant

James Chant
    Premium Member

It's not pretty!

11. Xosé Estrada

Xosé Estrada
    Premium Member

He's old, he's not affraid to die :D

12. James Chant

James Chant
    Premium Member

Probably more Because he needs that sort of advantage?

The others **** it up, and he drives past!

13. DRS would be useless at Monaco anyway!!!

14. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins
    Driving til the wheels fall off

I don't see how bad it could be in Eau Rouge.
    You're going uphill, so the weight of the car is predominantly at the rear, so surely that would act as enough downforce to maintain grip whilst the rear wing is open?

I also think the Monaco tunnel is perhaps the safest part of the track to use DRS on.

15. Chris Butcher

Chris Butcher
    Red Bull Gridsters 2012 Champion

It probably works better than at other tracks there, as the downforce levels at Monaco are so high.

16. Yes, but Chris, you aren't going fast enough really. The flipside is that the tunnel would be really dangerous if you got oversteer half way through - the F1 cars are pretty close to the limit of grip through there, even though it is flat, so that unbalance might give put the car into a slight slide.

17. And the problem with sliding is going on to the marbles.....

18. Ole Marius Myrvold

Ole Marius Myrvold
    JWB 96-13 Staff

That would be like the Virgins last year, no problems, just darn fun to watch!

19. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins
    Driving til the wheels fall off

Sure I get that, but I just don't see how it's any different to the designated DRS zone on the start/finish straight.
    The tunnel's not that much more curved than the DRS straight. Not any narrower either for that matter.

20. Chris Butcher

Chris Butcher
    Red Bull Gridsters 2012 Champion

The end of the tunnel has much more of a curve in it