FIA bans DRS for Monaco tunnel and Eau Rouge

Günthar Rowe

True2Life-Racing Designs
Premium
The overtaking ’DRS’ system will be banned completely in the Monaco tunnel and Spa-Francorchamps’ fearsome Eau Rouge.

But the FIA is pushing ahead with allowing the wings to be used on the curving front ’straight’ in the Principality next weekend, despite the opposition of GPDA chairman Rubens Barrichello and many fellow drivers.

"All the drivers except Michael Schumacher think it is too dangerous in Monaco," the Brazilian is quoted as saying by Auto Motor und Sport. "Maybe Michael thinks he has a technical advantage."

In fact, Lewis Hamilton is also looking forward to using DRS on the famous barrier-lined streets.

"If you don’t want to use it you don’t have to," said the Briton.

The FIA’s Charlie Whiting is unapologetic for allowing DRS in Monaco.

"It would be wrong to ban an overtaking aid at a circuit where it could be most useful," he is quoted as saying in Barcelona.

In the tunnel, however, it will be banned altogether on safety grounds, and the same will apply at Belgium’s Eau Rouge.

The in-race Monaco DRS zone will be across the finish line, but Sebastian Vettel thinks there is "not enough space" for overtaking moves there.

"There will be some overtaking in Monte Carlo," thinks Hamilton, "but not much."

But in Canada and Valencia, the FIA is planning not one but two DRS zones apiece for those circuits.

What a shame that modern drivers are less brave than their ancestors. They were driving coffins on 4 wheels! You are in the most modern machines which have 1000s of security measures!

I hope we will see drs in Monaco, otherwise overtaking is really hard there.

What a shame that modern drivers are less brave than their ancestors. They were driving coffins on 4 wheels! You are in the most modern machines which have 1000s of security measures!

I hope we will see drs in Monaco, otherwise overtaking is really hard there.
Indeed, but don't forget to many people lost their lives back in the day of the F1 Roots, they have come to love & treasure the safety measures this century rather then taking a step back & putting lives on the line once again they would rather upset a few driver's to ensure safety these days.

Indeed, but don't forget to many people lost their lives back in the day of the F1 Roots, they have come to love & treasure the safety measures this century rather then taking a step back & putting lives on the line once again they would rather upset a few driver's to ensure safety these days.

Of course you are right. My word was to the pilots who exxaggerate it. For example Mr. Barrichello :)

I don't see how bad it could be in Eau Rouge.
You're going uphill, so the weight of the car is predominantly at the rear, so surely that would act as enough downforce to maintain grip whilst the rear wing is open?

I also think the Monaco tunnel is perhaps the safest part of the track to use DRS on.

Yes, but Chris, you aren't going fast enough really. The flipside is that the tunnel would be really dangerous if you got oversteer half way through - the F1 cars are pretty close to the limit of grip through there, even though it is flat, so that unbalance might give put the car into a slight slide.

Yes, but Chris, you aren't going fast enough really. The flipside is that the tunnel would be really dangerous if you got oversteer half way through - the F1 cars are pretty close to the limit of grip through there, even though it is flat, so that unbalance might give put the car into a slight slide.

That would be like the Virgins last year, no problems, just darn fun to watch!

Sure I get that, but I just don't see how it's any different to the designated DRS zone on the start/finish straight.
The tunnel's not that much more curved than the DRS straight. Not any narrower either for that matter.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 6.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 164 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 312 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 444 39.5%