FIA bans active ride-height systems

FIA bans reactive ride-height systems
2011-vitaly-petrov-china-r31-renault-01.jpg

The FIA has moved to ban the reactive ride-height systems which have been the subject of much discussion during the off-season.

The governing body released a technical directive on Friday evening effectively banning such systems which regulate the ride-height through the brake torque which is linked to the suspension, hydraulics then adjust the ride-height under braking and acceleration to keep the car level.

Despite earlier being deemed legal, it has now been banned, Williams Chief Operating Engineer, Mark Gillan confirmed.

"The FIA have just banned that particular type of system," he revealed on The Flying Lap. "It looks, from a cursory look, that they are aiming to ban that type of system, but I need to look at it in a bit more detail."
Lotus, which pioneered the system thought to be worth up to three tenths per lap, will now be on the back foot as changes will need to be made to their 2012 car, set to be revealed on February 5th, to ensure it meets the new technical directive.

Ferrari and Mercedes also had similar system in the pipeline after both teams confirmed they had approached the FIA with their own designs, to ensure they were legal before developing them further.

source

Is it even legal for them to do this? Declaring it legal and then banning it for the same season?

I think it's unfair - and I don't like Benetton/Renault/Lotus at all!

It´s apparent two teams have filed compaints because they probably came so late to the party that it would take them time to develop their own system while Lotus and Ferrari has been working on theirs for several months.

Charlie Whiting also seems like a puppet with no comprehension of what he legalizes.

I think the FIA are now afraid of any development that might be perceived as an "unfair advantage" especially after the blown diffusers last year. I think this behaviour is just ridiculous.

If there are no safety concerns (a la F-duct) then this ride height system should not be made illegal. A level playing field is nice and all but then if they wanted that they should just make F1 a spec series. I would rather see innovation and rule exploitation. It wasn't Redbull's fault they had the best blown diffusers, it was everyone else's for doing a rubbish job of copying it. If we just ban every development that comes along how are we supposed to get excited for the cars that come out of winter testing?

I never understood why it wasn't seen as a moveable aerodynamic device from the start.
When the driver hits the breaks, it forces the front end to stiffen up, thus keeping the front wing higher, improving aerodynamics.

Just seems like the FIA corrected a massive oversight.

Seems like it. They knew about it since January last year..

and not to mention the EBD which also was illegal but let it fly because Renault and Mercedes had tuned their engines to work with that.
But then again, is that the other teams problems or is it a case of "suit yourself"?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back