Resource icon

Apps FFBClip app 5.3

Login or Register an account to download this content
This update... (version 4.3.2) This particular fix: # Reset button now resets the gain to 100% and sets manual mode

Will that stop the problem I was having where FFBClip was setting my FFB setting to 200% and not letting me adjust it? I think this happened to me, not with the previous update, but the one before that. I had to pull the app, for obvious reasons, but then someone told me to just set it to manual mode.

I believe there is a bug in the current version of the app. I have set PreferAutoMode ON and PreferredProfile to Dynamic in the config file. When I start a session it says "Dynamic" on the button in the app (indicating that the Dynamic profile is active), but when I start driving it behaves like Static Auto mode. If I click the "Dynamic" button once the app starts behaving like Dynamic mode (the text on the button doesn't change). Any subsequent clicks will switch between Static and Dynamic, both in app behavior and the text on the button (just like it should).

It's seems like when the app initializes, it only sets the button text to Dynamic but doesn't set the behavior to Dynamic.

I have tried setting PreferAutoMode to OFF (since it should default to Auto mode when I use Dynamic, according to the config file) but the result is the same.

I don't know if this was an issue in the previous version. I believe the last version I used was 4.2 and I don't think this was an issue back then.

Edit:
Also regarding this fix for the current version "* Reset button now resets the gain to 100% and sets manual mode":

It seems the app behavior changes to Manual mode but the button still indicates it is in Auto mode.

Last edited:
Hi !!

sincethe last version I cannot have, when I start the game, my defauts settings i changed in the ici doc.
dynamic FFB and auto.
i put "4" to the mod in the ini file.
I have to click on the appli in the game to activating the dynamic mode.
Dou you have an idea?

Thks !!

I decided to go back to using Static mode because of its more linear nature (no sudden drop in FFB level on turn entry like in Dynamic mode), and now I think I have found a new bug.

I use Static Auto mode with Normal profile (all the Prefer...=0 in the config file) with Histogram. As I go to the track and start driving, it starts to collect data, and after a while I'm starting to get a nice histogram curve with a particular shape. All good so far. However, if I press Esc and choose restart session (when running in Hotlap mode, haven't tried other modes), the session will restart but in that moment a huge spike will be added somewhere in the histogram. The spike causes the rest of the curve to be shifted downwards, so the histogram will be severely distorted. This affects the calculated FFB target value (the "FFB should be set as" value).

A workaround is to remember that while running with Auto mode, do not restart the session, and if you do restart then also reset the histogram (then you also have to click the Auto button to switch it to Auto mode manually). It is less of a hassle if you have the app set to default behavior (only uses Auto mode first time you run a combo, then Manual mode the next time). Then you also have to keep all this in mind the first time you run a combo.

Edit: It seems that choosing "Replay" from the Esc menu also distorts the histogram by adding a peak to it.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 217114

This dynamic auto mode is the best thing since sliced bread. It makes AC a little more comfortable and better to drive. It still can't match the driving and the FFB of R3E, AMS and rFactor 2, but it's more fun to drive now. Looking forward to more updates towards this dynamic-stuff.

This dynamic auto mode is the best thing since sliced bread. It makes AC a little more comfortable and better to drive.

At first I liked it too since it lets you use more of the capacity of the FFB in situations where the FFB force would otherwise be very light. The problem is that after the FFB has ramped up to max while you drive down a long straight, and you enter a fast turn, the FFB demanded by the game increases suddenly, and the app has respond to this by quickly dropping the FFB level to avoid clipping. This gives a non-linear feeling when entering a fast turn (FFB goes light).

It's up to individual taste what the user prefers. I ultimately decided I prefer the overall more linear behavior of Static Auto mode instead of the overall stronger FFB of Dynamic Auto mode.

Is there anything wrong with running FFBClip on Normal, Static & Auto and just never touch it again?

No, that's perfectly fine. That's how I use it (I've also lowered the Master FFB in AC settings to avoid clipping). Note that if you haven't set "PreferAutoMode=1" in the config file, the app only runs in Auto mode the first time you drive a particular car/track combo (the next time it will run in Manual mode, using the FFB gain value calculated the first time). This is fine unless you change your FFB settings in AC or the wheel software, you change your car setup completely, or if there is a major physics/tire model update (in any of those cases, you should click Reset and set the app in Auto mode again in order to calculate a new FFB gain).

However as I mentioned above, it seems like there is a bug in the current version of the app that distorts the histogram used for gain calculation when you choose "Restart session" from the Esc menu. As a workaround either 1.) click Reset and set the app to Auto mode again after every time you use "Restart session" or 2.) run the app in Manual mode. Hopefully this gets fixed soon since the app is otherwise great.

Do I need to have the FFB Clip app actively on my screen in order for it to be working? Let's say that I load a new car/track combo and I have it on my screen and it's doing it's thing and then I pull up the app menu on the edge of the right-side of the screen and I click the FFB Clip App round button again to remove it from my screen. Is it still calculating and adjusting? And will it automatically start working the next time I hop onto another car/track combo?

Do I need to have the FFB Clip app actively on my screen in order for it to be working? Let's say that I load a new car/track combo and I have it on my screen and it's doing it's thing and then I pull up the app menu on the edge of the right-side of the screen and I click the FFB Clip App round button again to remove it from my screen. Is it still calculating and adjusting? And will it automatically start working the next time I hop onto another car/track combo?
If FFBClip is enabled in General settings then it's always active, you don't need it showing onscreen. Whether it actively does anything each time you load a car depends on the settings you're using I think. In dynamic mode it obviously will. But I think if you used the auto mode to find and set a no-clip FFB strength, then it'll only be in auto mode the first time you load a car. I think. Read it somewhere but not actively tested since I only used it to suggest a level, not set it.

As Ross Garland mentioned, as long as the app is enabled in the general settings in AC, you don't need to have it onscreen.

However, since there are currently a couple of bugs in the app (as I mentioned eariler), I recommend having the app open and keep an eye on the histogram.
If you see a tall and narrow spike appear in the histogram curve (can happen if you restart session or view the replay) it has been distorted and you should reset the histogram.
If the adjustment stops working ("FFB should be" and current gain value differ from each other), click the Auto/Manual button a couple of times until the button shows "Auto" and the adjustment starts working again.

The answer to the last questions depends on how you have setup the app.

If you have "PreferAutoMode=1" in the config file, the app will always be calculating and adjusting.
If you have "PreferAutoMode=0" in the config file, the app will only be calculating and adjusting the first time you run a particular combo. The next time it will not do any adjusting, instead it will use the calculated value from the first time you ran that particular combo.

This is unless you are forcing manual mode in the config, then it will never adjust.

Hey guys. I had some random black Screens during online races and was asking the Kunos Team to check my log files.
The Kunos Team has found a PY ERROR related to the FFBClip App:

[PY ERROR]: apps/python/FFBClip\FFBClip.py (536) 'ConfigParser' object has no attribute 'close'

I dont really know if this is related to a black Screen, but it is still an error :D
Do you maybe know the reason for this error?

I personally find out that the link to the controls.ini was wrong and corrected it now. Does the issue maybe came just from this wrong link?

EDIT: After i Change the link to controls.ini the error is away but instead of it i have a new one :D

[PY ERROR]: apps/python/FFBClip\FFBClip.py (380) pop index out of range
[PY ERROR]: apps/python/FFBClip\FFBClip.py (380) pop index out of range
Gear refused: proj RPM: 8966 , limitRPM: 8950

Last edited:
How can I adjust ini that Dynamic mode will stay on? When I fill in "4" it says in the app that it is enabled but it is not working like that. Have to press it again to get it enabled

How can I adjust ini that Dynamic mode will stay on? When I fill in "4" it says in the app that it is enabled but it is not working like that. Have to press it again to get it enabled

It's a bug in the current version of the app. I described it in my post above (post #63). You have to click the Dynamic button once in order to get it working after you have started a session.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 415 39.8%