DiRT Rally FFB tweak (no void)

That empty 10 - 2 position is now filled with glorious surface texture. Enjoy! Thanks Msportdan for the pad/wheel switch.

29/4
- Made some small changes to suspension and lateral settings.
30/4
- Updated to catch some feedback from tarmac
- Removed some overlap on suspension setting, feels cleaner now
- Reduced SelfAligningTorque - counter steering had too much resistance
- Switched collision settings to wheel; seems to add some nice effects
- Switched FFBSkid to wheel (these still need tweaking)

Steering resistance:
If anyone prefers the original resistance, change line 4 to:

<FFBEffectSelfAligningTorque device="wheel" scale="1.0"/>

or adjust to preference.

My wheel and settings:
T500RS default with 540 rotation.
In game:
Vibration 100
Strength 90
Weight 50

Open '\Steam\SteamApps\common\DiRT Rally\forcefeedback\effectsetup.xml' and replace contents entirely with the below. Make a backup of the original!

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<FFBEffects soloRampRate="1000" soloAttenuation="0">

<FFBEffectSelfAligningTorque device="wheel" scale="0.5"/>

<FFBlateral device="wheel" scale="1.0" velocityFactor="0.04" frictionGripScalar="55.0" frictionSurfaceScalar="6.5"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.75" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.3" sample="smallCollisionWheel"/>
   <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.75" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.6" sample="largeCollisionWheel"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.12" thresholdLow=".07" thresholdHigh=".4" freq="7" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>
   <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.18" thresholdLow=".4" thresholdHigh="2.5" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>
   <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="1.0" thresholdLow="2.5" thresholdHigh="20.0" freq="5" length="0.4" sample="suspensionWheel"/>

<FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.07" thresholdLow="0.01" thresholdHigh="0.6" damageZone="0" freq="20.0" length="0.1" sample="scrapeCollisionLow"/>
   <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="0.07" thresholdLow="0.01" thresholdHigh="0.6" damageZone="0" freq="20.0" length="0.1" sample="scrapeCollisionHigh"/>
   <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="2.0" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.2" sample="smallCollisionLow"/>
   <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="2.0" thresholdLow="0.6" thresholdHigh="10.0" damageZone="0" freq="15.0" length="0.2" sample="smallCollisionHigh"/>
   <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="2.5" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.5" sample="largeCollisionLow"/>
   <FFBCollision device="wheel" scale="2.5" thresholdLow="10.0" thresholdHigh="5000.0" damageZone="0" freq="10.0" length="0.5" sample="largeCollisionHigh"/>

<FFBSkid device="wheel" scale="1.2" thresholdLow="0.9" thresholdHigh="1.1" thresholdMin="3.0" freqLow="4" freqHigh="30.0" load="1.0" length="0.2" sample="skidBack"/>
   <FFBSkid device="wheel" scale="1.6" thresholdLow="1.0" thresholdHigh="1.3" thresholdMin="3.0" freqLow="16.0" freqHigh="16.0" load="1.0" length="0.1" sample="skidFront"/>

<FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.25" thresholdLow="1.6" thresholdHigh="20.0" length="0.25" freq="7" sample="suspensionR1"/>
   <FFBSuspension device="wheel" scale="0.25" thresholdLow="1.6" thresholdHigh="20.0" length="0.25" freq="7" sample="suspensionL1"/>

<FFBRevs device="wheel" scale="0.25" thresholdLow="0.1" thresholdHigh="1.2" freqLow="1" freqHigh="18.0" scaleLow="0.2" scaleHigh="0.95" length="0.05" sample="revEffect"/>

<FFBSample name="scrapeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="61125521121"/>
   <FFBSample name="scrapeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98721" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="smallCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="986454321"/>
   <FFBSample name="smallCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="982312531"/>
   <FFBSample name="smallCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="986454321" channel="1"/>
   <FFBSample name="smallCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="982312531" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="skidBack" wave="9" envelope="0" channel="1" solo="1"/>
   <FFBSample name="skidFront" wave="9" envelope="9" channel="1" solo="1"/>

<FFBSample name="largeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="98675462584" solo="1"/>
   <FFBSample name="largeCollisionLow" wave="9" envelope="98765432629" solo="1"/>
   <FFBSample name="largeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98675462594" channel="1" solo="1"/>
   <FFBSample name="largeCollisionHigh" wave="9" envelope="98765432628" channel="1" solo="1"/>

<FFBSample name="suspensionR1" wave="9" envelope="9564720" channel="0"/>
   <FFBSample name="suspensionL1" wave="1" envelope="9564720" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="revEffect" wave="91" envelope="9" channel="1"/>

<FFBSample name="smallCollisionWheel" wave="124689" envelope="97654321000"/>
   <FFBSample name="largeCollisionWheel" wave="5697641345" envelope="9879987542312"/>

<FFBSample name="suspensionWheel" wave="64" envelope="9"/>

</FFBEffects>

Last edited:
Hi guys, hope you can help. I have a G25 and have been using it in iracing for years with no issues. In Dirt Rally however I have this dead zone I can't seem to get rid of. Its not the feedback dead zone but actual reaction to the wheel in game.

Video attached to demonstrate what I mean

Thanks

Could be steering deadzone set in the game under advanced wheel settings?

Great Work - Thanks very much.

D - What settings do you use on the Thrustmaster profiler for Gain,nconstant, periodic and return to centre ?

Also what steering saturation do you use with 540 degrees rotation ?

I'm using a T300 GTE not a T500 but the settings generally translate well with a reduction in Gain or overall FFB strength in game.

Plus what is latest or best starting point for the settings.

Will be buying Dirt tonight and would like a good starting point to enjoy it rather than chasing around in circles with FFB and wheel settings.

Thanks again - I'm reading it is making a big difference and has persuaded me to buy it so Codies owe you. Would not be playable without passable FFB effects.

Cheers
Probably @-WR- 's reply is more useful than mine, but I'll confirm my settings anyway:
Rotation 540
TM Defaults
Overall strength: 60%
Constant: 100%
Periodic: 100%
Spring: 60%
Damper: (by the game)

In game settings:
Vibration strength. 100%
Wheel strength: 90%
Wheel weight: 50%
All deadzones: 0%
All saturation: 100%
Linearity: 0

XML settings in the first post are what I'm using currently. Enjoy the game!

When I get oversteer the ffb seems to be reversed? It resists my t500 to countersteer, while it should countersteer a bit from itself. Any way to get this working? To get the FFB more similar to rfactor with realfeel or LFS?
Not with the settings available, but Codemasters have confirmed they understand now how it should feel so will be reworking the FFB and also wheel rotation.

When I get oversteer the ffb seems to be reversed? It resists my t500 to countersteer, while it should countersteer a bit from itself. Any way to get this working? To get the FFB more similar to rfactor with realfeel or LFS?

There is a great video describing this problem and other problems as well.

This is the response from CM developer who saw the video and had a discussion with Dom who made the video.....

"Steve our Physics guy, Nick and Paul who do the car handling, Paul Coleman the Chief Game designer and myself had a skype call with him today. Really smart guy and he knows his stuff inside out, its the kind of feedback like this we need too. Good in-depth feedback that we can work with.

Dom (the guys name) has given us a lot to think about, we're going to get to work on it and when we have something to show he's agreed to come down and help us fine tune the new settings. I won't lie this isn't the kind of thing we're going to fix in a few days but we will of course keep you all updated.

Feel free to talk to Dom about the call too, I've told him that he's free to discuss our conversation and what he thought - we don't want anything like this to be a secret.
"

Thanks for the update. Will be trying now and hopefully the tarmac will be better.
If CM change the main ffb wheel forces (which they will be, given that they've spoken to the guy who did the youtube video!), you'll have to modify their new ffb xml file to include all this surface vibration stuff.

Game's not the same without it.

Wow! You hit the mark for sure now. Now it feels allot better. I left the self alignment at 1.0, but I'm having a blast with this setup. Love feeling the rocks now in the 10-2 position. I'll though it up on my website to with credit of course. www.tjrsim.com
Thanks man!

Why can't I modify that xml document on mine?

Open new notepad, copy/paste the code embedded in OP, save file with the name effectsetup.xml (as stated in OP), copy the file to the folder stated in OP but keep the original file so that Windows will add (2) after the original filename (this way you have a backup).

This works great with my DFP .However it's rattling like crazy in the center position. I've had these problems before in sims ,but apparently it's been too long for me to remember how to get rid of it.

Anyone ?? :)

ORIGINAL QUOTE FROM CM DIRT-FORUM:

While DiRT Rally is yours to tinker with we don’t want to encourage modifying the force feedback effectsetup.xml and devicesetup.xml files as we've noticed some users are.

Modifying the wheel to use parameters defined for the controller (pad) or replacing incompatible previous game FFB files are likely to compromise your experience of the game. It’s not how the game is made to be played and we can’t offer any support for the consequences of modifying this data and how it will affect the game.

We are totally open to feedback and if you feel that the FFB is not behaving how you would like you need to talk to us about it, together we can make DiRT Rally better for everyone.

For now the team has collated their recommended steering wheel settings for the officially supported wheels, Try these out and let us know what you think below, we're happy to work with you all on getting this right but we would advise against the modification to the xml files we've seen floating around the web.

All Wheels - Recommend using 200 – 540 degree (however 270-400 is the sweet spot)

Vibration & Feedback Settings (Recommended)

This image has been resized to fit in the page. Click to enlarge.

Advanced Wheel Settings (Recommended)

Logitech G25 & G27

Logitech Profiler Version 5.10.127

Logitech Driver Version 5.10.127

Logitech Profiler Settings

Options -> Global Device Settings

ZmZUtp5.png

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Logitech G25/G27 -> Properties -> Logitech G25/G27 Racing Wheel Properties -> Settings

3avE5Ko.png

Fanatec Clubsport Base v1 & v2

Driver Version : 205 (BETA)

Firmware version: 53

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers

Note: Connect the Fanatec Pedals via USB

Y8SEyy4.png

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> ClubSport Wheel -> Properties -> Settings

Fanatec Clubsport Base Device Tuning Menu

SEN (Sensitivity): SEN default: OFF

FF (Force Feedback): FF default: 100

SHO (Shock): SHO default: 100

ABS default: OFF

LIN (Linearity): LIN default: OFF

DEA (Deadzone): DEA default: OFF

DRI (Drift mode): DRI default: OFF

FOR (force): FOR default: 100

SPR (spring): SPR default: 100

DPR (damper): DPR default: 100

We recommend this official Fanatec Clubsport Wheel setup video:

Thrustmaster T500 RS/F1 Racing Wheel

Firmware: 43

Driver: 2.8.16.0

Windows Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Thrustmaster T500 Racing Wheel -> Properties

Thrustmaster T500 RS Control Panel -> Test Input Tab

lCp22hT.png

Thrustmaster T500 RS Control Panel -> Gain Settings Tab

yB2ryjs.png

Set the wheel’s ‘Pedal Set Position’ mode (LED red/green) depending on your pedal orientation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try adjusting the steering saturation until it dissapears, either that or the overall effects strength.

Tone down the vibration strength in game. Mine is set at 50. Saturation only affects how many percents of available steering that is used. With a 900 wheel set at 50 saturation gives you 450 degrees in game.

Tone down the vibration strength in game. Mine is set at 50. Saturation only affects how many percents of available steering that is used. With a 900 wheel set at 50 saturation gives you 450 degrees in game.
Ha, thanks for that, I think it's the linearity(gamma) I was thinking of, I don't really get the codies term for these things as they don't seem to be explained explicitly anywhere, unlike Asseto Corsa with it's tooltips for example.
The vibration I think is caused by the centering force being slightly too powerfull sending the wheel beyond centre the other way then the other etc etc.

@ilborga70 The Windows controller options are no longer in that location you wrote in Windows 7 or above, they used to be there with XP. Now you go straight to Devices and Printers and your controller is listed under Devices.

Those settings are worse than standard Sim settings for a wheel by the way, all driving/racing sims for many years have never used Spring, Damper or Centering spring values above 0.
All those settings do is provide fake forces covering what the game should actually be supplying from its physics..

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 308 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.6%